BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

08-05-2017, 02:25 AM   #1
GKMcar
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Competition Pack

Running in from new

Hi All,

I'm collecting my new F80 M3 DCT Comp in September and I'm looking for advice about running in. I have heard the usual "drive it like you stole it" advice from BMW salesmen but that just doesn't seem very technical to me! Advice from experienced owner drivers or grey haired BMW engineers would be appreciated! I have opted for Service Inclusive.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 03:48 AM   #2
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Frankly....

I don't see what's wrong with taking BMW's advice and limiting the revs, avoiding WOT, plenty of rpm variation and some engine braking. The most important thing with running in is how you feel about it. Drive it like you stole it will always create doubts that you may have done your shiny new toy some harm, so I would avoid that route, simply for your own peace of mind.
Appreciate 1
GKMcar2.50
      08-05-2017, 04:31 AM   #3
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

The engine needs bedding in and needs load not revs to achieve that, just follow the instructions in the manual, not what the salesman said.

I've always followed the running in guide lines and never had an M car that used oil between services
      08-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #4
pbw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 240i xdrive g42

Garage List
Keep within recommendations, don't stay in same gear or revs too long. When I picked mine up, was told not to drive it like miss daisy. Im sure you will enjoy every minute, good luck.
Appreciate 1
GKMcar2.50
      08-05-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Here we go. Can always count on one of these threads every month or two.

Wifey and I blast out of the Welt on ED and hit the limiter immediately. Zero issues.

Just drive your car. No need to go Grandpa.

We have done this on multiple cars without a problem. The engine has already been run in at the factory. Others will go on and on about tires, breaks, blah blah. It's all bullshit.

I occasionally wonder what the median age is of forum members and ///M drivers. It must be pushing geriatric levels
Appreciate 3
      08-05-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post

Wifey and I blast out of the Welt on ED and hit the limiter immediately. Zero issues.

We have done this on multiple cars without a problem. The engine has already been run in at the factory. Others will go on and on about tires, breaks, blah blah. It's all bullshit.

I occasionally wonder what the median age is of forum members and ///M drivers. It must be pushing geriatric levels
You're my hero.....
      08-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #7
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:

You're my hero.....
Better then being a scared grandpa
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
      08-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #9
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
:
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
GKMcar
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Competition Pack

Thanks guys, enjoyable banter and differing opinions as expected but appreciate the comments. This will be my 3rd M car (had a 2011 M3 E92 Comp for 12 months and a 2015 M4 F82 for 10 months) but I plan to run this one for 2-3 years doing around 12,000 miles annually so want to get it right. Can't wait!!!
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2017, 07:37 AM   #11
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY19 M4 CP (SMB)

I believe (shoot me down if you know otherwise) that there is a different running-in engine and transmission lubricant to bed everything in quickly. Hence the advice about causing excessive wear if you thrash it from new. My view is that it probably won't make any difference but I drove mine moderately during the first 1200 miles anyway ... I wouldn't do a load of full bore standing starts or an immediate track day etc but I wouldn't be worried about driving hard or letting the revs get above 5/6k a moderate amount of time.
Appreciate 1
GKMcar2.50
      08-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I pay a little attention to the instructions but struggle after the first week. As I do some motorway miles it is worth swapping down gears to avoid periods of travel in D7 for ages for example.

Enjoy the break in
      08-08-2017, 03:12 AM   #13
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm_SIIM4 View Post
I believe (shoot me down if you know otherwise) that there is a different running-in engine and transmission lubricant to bed everything in quickly. Hence the advice about causing excessive wear if you thrash it from new. My view is that it probably won't make any difference but I drove mine moderately during the first 1200 miles anyway ... I wouldn't do a load of full bore standing starts or an immediate track day etc but I wouldn't be worried about driving hard or letting the revs get above 5/6k a moderate amount of time.
Nope same Oils but everything needs bedding in, but using gears to slow and making sure Oils are HOT before working the engine hard.
GKMcar2.50
      08-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #14
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:

Thanks, this makes me feel better. My M4 has done 1000 KMS so far and 3 days back, some dude was trying to race me, the moment I put my foot on the pedal the revs went up to 7000 RPM for like 3-4 seconds so I quickly backed off and went back to 5.5K RPM. I told this to my friend who owns a 2016 M3 and he said if BMW runs a check during my service and find out that I revved it past the recommendations for break in, they can void my warranty, what do you think of this? I mean, I'm sure the engine isn't as fragile as being harmed with a few revs to 7K before the break-in service right?
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #15
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
Thanks, this makes me feel better. My M4 has done 1000 KMS so far and 3 days back, some dude was trying to race me, the moment I put my foot on the pedal the revs went up to 7000 RPM for like 3-4 seconds so I quickly backed off and went back to 5.5K RPM. I told this to my friend who owns a 2016 M3 and he said if BMW runs a check during my service and find out that I revved it past the recommendations for break in, they can void my warranty, what do you think of this? I mean, I'm sure the engine isn't as fragile as being harmed with a few revs to 7K before the break-in service right?
Forget it. You have nothing to worry about BMW can't check anyway, why would they bother all their demo's are thrashed and they still sell them don't they.
Just enjoy the car.
      08-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #16
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
Forget it. You have nothing to worry about BMW can't check anyway, why would they bother all their demo's are thrashed and they still sell them don't they.
Just enjoy the car.
I agree. Don't worry about it man. Hell when I was deciding on the M4 I took a brand new one from the dealer on a test drive. Just a genius and my wife were in the car. We hit 120mph multiple times and 7k rpm.

I'm sure they sold that car and it's just fine.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #17
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Just enjoy the car.
Quote:
I agree. Don't worry about it man. Hell when I was deciding on the M4 I took a brand new one from the dealer on a test drive. Just a genius and my wife were in the car. We hit 120mph multiple times and 7k rpm.

I'm sure they sold that car and it's just fine.
Thanks a lot guys, this makes me feel better I was starting to get paranoid.
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #18
chrisburns
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 CP Individual Mexico blue

Thread bump.

Collecting a brand new M3 CP on Monday and was trying to find advice on running the car in.

As mentioned above I too had heard a rumour that different oil was used during the run in period, does anyone know if this is actually true ?

My only previous run in comparison was two friends who bought two mercs years ago at the same time. One 'obeyed' the rules the other trashed his to an inch of its life the minute it lets the dealer. The latter car never missed a beat and ended up considerably quicker !
Not very scientific I know lol

Keen to hear if anyone actually has ever been pulled up by a dealer for not following run in advice
Appreciate 0