Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #23
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

M4 convertible is an easy easy choice since you're already got the X5 M.
Appreciate 2
      11-19-2017, 10:49 PM   #24
Oreganoflow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80

convertible.

sunroof.

dct.

never.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 04:34 AM   #25
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreganoflow View Post
convertible.

sunroof.

dct.

never.
Just remember: there's a reason we put you in that bubble ... if want to believe it's gilded
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 05:44 AM   #26
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreganoflow View Post
convertible.

sunroof.

dct.

never.
To you maybe but don't generalize. Different people have different wants/needs from this car. To many others including me, DCT + Convertible FTW. I enjoy every moment of driving the M4 with that configuration. Hearing the MPE with the top down is car pr0n! I don't track my car so I couldn't give a darn about the extra weight of the convertible, it's fast as hell anyway. so it's 0.2 seconds slower in the 0-60 run than the coupe. First world problems....
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)

Last edited by Super Spartan; 11-20-2017 at 05:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 06:48 AM   #27
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I could understand comparing the F80 to other sports sedans or the F83 to other convertibles, but seems like F80 vs. F83 should be an easy decision. Just need to decide what you prefer / need: space, track capabilities and lower MSRP vs. the added fun that comes with a convertible. Really comes down to personal priorities and preferences.
      11-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #28
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you don't need the practicality of the 4 doors, and it looks like you are still going to have an SUV for family outings, I don't see any reason not to go for the convertible.

That said however, looks are subjective. The M3 from the rear has a much more aggressive stance than the M4 with the flared rear fenders. Front they are the same, though the rear fenders are still more pronounced at any angle. The only angle the coupe takes the M3 really is the side.

In the end you've got to decide what you like more. If you don't need the practicality of the 4 doors and don't care to have the absolute most optimum performance (kind of useless for a daily driver on public roads) I'd say enjoy some sunshine in the convertible.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 11-20-2017 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
Djvolume214.50
      11-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #29
elkid23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BG G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post

What option includes that ///M logo underneath the climate controls? Never seen that..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #30
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

For you, probably F83 since you have the X5M already
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #31
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkid23 View Post
What option includes that ///M logo underneath the climate controls? Never seen that..
the hand brake leather color & handle embroidery and the dash embroidered ///M have to be ordered via Individual Manufaktur (your dealer and BMWNA if you're in the US), the rest of it (opal leather and white birch) is Individual Collection, i.e., you just order it off the standard list of individual options.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #32
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDadMobile View Post
Can't say for sure, but i assume the M3 will have slightly better handling, as the vert has a higher center of gravity (with top up)? I'll defer to the experts on this forum

Either way, can't go wrong. Just make sure it's a manual gearbox...kidding!
It would have much better handling as the point you mentioned and the thing is like 4200 lbs.

The handling of the M3 and M4 are nearly identical though, the only difference is the convertible part.
Appreciate 1
Mr Pete1595.50
      11-21-2017, 02:06 AM   #33
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
It would have much better handling as the point you mentioned and the thing is like 4200 lbs.

The handling of the M3 and M4 are nearly identical though, the only difference is the convertible part.
Kinda, sorta.

The 'vert is 500lbs heavier (so 2 or 3 buddies in the car with you) and you're definitely going to feel that, but only if you swap cars back and forth. Plus, the 'vert has more traction, especially with the top down. (not to mention the supreme joy of tossing that fat ass!)

So if you're track driving, there's no doubt the coupe/sedan will handle MUCH better, but on the roads day-to-day, the 'vert will give you less wheel spin and is easier to launch. (anybody that's lived in a high snow region and thrown a few sand bags in the trunk in the winter knows what I'm talking about)

Also, compared to the E93, this car was built to be a 'vert, not retrofitted from the coupe. Anybody with years of experience in both can tell you the F8x is night/day in handling compared to the E9x. The F8x is truly a topless coupe.

So, as 'verts go, the F8x is finally in that porsche zone of being basically a heavier coupe, rather than having all kinds of twist and cowl shake like most other 'verts (I'm looking at you Audi and Benz).

All of that said, it comes down to: do you want a high performance convertible?

Add in the feature of the hard top and the F8x is about the only game in town in its performance category.
Appreciate 3
      11-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #34
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Kinda, sorta.

The 'vert is 500lbs heavier (so 2 or 3 buddies in the car with you) and you're definitely going to feel that, but only if you swap cars back and forth. Plus, the 'vert has more traction, especially with the top down. (not to mention the supreme joy of tossing that fat ass!)

So if you're track driving, there's no doubt the coupe/sedan will handle MUCH better, but on the roads day-to-day, the 'vert will give you less wheel spin and is easier to launch. (anybody that's lived in a high snow region and thrown a few sand bags in the trunk in the winter knows what I'm talking about)

Also, compared to the E93, this car was built to be a 'vert, not retrofitted from the coupe. Anybody with years of experience in both can tell you the F8x is night/day in handling compared to the E9x. The F8x is truly a topless coupe.

So, as 'verts go, the F8x is finally in that porsche zone of being basically a heavier coupe, rather than having all kinds of twist and cowl shake like most other 'verts (I'm looking at you Audi and Benz).

All of that said, it comes down to: do you want a high performance convertible?

Add in the feature of the hard top and the F8x is about the only game in town in its performance category.
Thanks for posting this, I learned a few things from your post (as always) and yes, despite being heavier, the added traction to the added weight at the rear is an added bonus. I've never driven the coupe M4 to be honest but damn this M4 vert is definitely one of the best handling cars I've ever driven. Even when it loses traction at the rear end, you feel you are in total control and know where the car is going.

Don't forget the extra aural pleasure that comes along when you put the top down, man you hear the exhaust as if it was right next to your ear it's addicting!
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

Appreciate 2
GrussGott18113.00
Djvolume214.50
      11-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #35
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
this M4 vert is definitely one of the best handling cars I've ever driven.
There's an engineering video out there with Albert Biermann (now works for Kia I think, retired from BMW, chief engineer for the F8x) where he describes how the F8x platform (chassis) was designed from the ground up for the 'vert and then made into coupe & sedan designs rather than the other way around, which is how most 'verts come about. That means for each 'vert they simply add two structural supports to the chassis and it's ready to go. Makes it easier for the robots to build as well.

Anybody that drove the E93 versus an E92 can tell you that while the E93 is an absolute blast of a car, it suffers as a 'vert with some float, shake, and twist.

The F83 is a heavier F82 and that's really only going to limit you on the track; day-to-day driving it has a feel if you drive back to back, but it comes with a traction benefit so it's not just a take.

With all of that said, some people just don't like 'verts.

I didn't until I moved to California ... then, all of a sudden: "Ooooohhhh *NOW* I get it ...."
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #36
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Question

Quote:
There's an engineering video out there with Albert Biermann (now works for Kia I think, retired from BMW, chief engineer for the F8x) where he describes how the F8x platform (chassis) was designed from the ground up for the 'vert and then made into coupe & sedan designs rather than the other way around, which is how most 'verts come about. That means for each 'vert they simply add two structural supports to the chassis and it's ready to go. Makes it easier for the robots to build as well.

Anybody that drove the E93 versus an E92 can tell you that while the E93 is an absolute blast of a car, it suffers as a 'vert with some float, shake, and twist.

The F83 is a heavier F82 and that's really only going to limit you on the track; day-to-day driving it has a feel if you drive back to back, but it comes with a traction benefit so it's not just a take.

With all of that said, some people just don't like 'verts.

I didn't until I moved to California then you all of a sudden, "Ooooohhhh *NOW* I get it ...."
Is this the video you're talking about bro?

LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #37
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Agreed with the others. You need to try a vert at least once to see if you like it.

I tried with e89z435 and I drove around half the time with the roof down. Really fun for cruising. You do notice the extra pork, even around town. I likely won't be getting a vert again but can't fault those who do.

There's definitely an intangible fun factor for driving a fast open roof car
Appreciate 3
GrussGott18113.00
      11-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #38
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

I owned an E46 M3 vert, that was about 300lbs heavier than the coupe. But I didn't care nor could you feel it since you had no reference point. The E46 had cowl shake, but it wasn't that bad. It was worth it to me to have the convertible.
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2017, 12:57 AM   #39
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
Is this the video you're talking about bro?
No, it's another one where he's in a shop with the three cars and a press group and one car is on a lift and he points out all of the chassis design. He spends some time talking about the 'vert. Sorry, I'd find it but I'm traveling and only have mobile stuff.

EDIT: found it, although I'm not sure this is the full one but it's close

Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 11:50 PM   #40
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016-X5M 2018-M4 Comp 2024-X5

Awesome guys! Your replies are much appreciated!!!!

So I went back to dealer last night and took a "test" drive in m4 vert, surprising they let me off the lot all by myself with the car, so comparing it to my f85 it is very slow, but also I'm all sort of modded on x5m so that not to compare over all I think when I'll be done with nosing the m4 it's will get at least 70-80 ponies over all it will be a day to day driver for me to enjoy the summer with the top down, now the only problem is that the combo I want now one has in stock
      11-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #41
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Also guys, seat belts are doubly important for 'vert passengers

Appreciate 1
Djvolume214.50
      11-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #42
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djvolume View Post
Awesome guys! Your replies are much appreciated!!!!

So I went back to dealer last night and took a "test" drive in m4 vert, surprising they let me off the lot all by myself with the car, so comparing it to my f85 it is very slow, but also I'm all sort of modded on x5m so that not to compare over all I think when I'll be done with nosing the m4 it's will get at least 70-80 ponies over all it will be a day to day driver for me to enjoy the summer with the top down, now the only problem is that the combo I want now one has in stock
When you run catless DP's and JB4 with a high boost map, traction becomes your #1 enemy.

I don't know if it will ever be as fast off the line as your X5M, unless you go for some really wide sticky tyres on the rear.

I think the JB4 has a boost control in 1st and 2nd gear - when you hit about 40mph, the rear starts to break free.

I find it's plenty fast for where I live - you look like a real dick if you drive any faster.
Appreciate 1
Djvolume214.50
      11-24-2017, 11:48 PM   #43
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmQuattro View Post

I find it's plenty fast for where I live - you look like a real dick if you drive any faster.
Course you already look like a real dick just sitting in an M4 vert, soooo...
Appreciate 3
      11-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #44
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

57 degrees in Lime Rock, CT today. Two weeks ago it was 15.

Took the M4 the Miata and the Jags for top down rides.

May not get another opportunity till Spring.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-25-2017 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0