GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #265
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Updated the instructions further with download links:

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...+with+bootmod3

Note that the fuel pump coding error on iDrive doesn't come up for everyone. Error is benign and car will run without coding. What you get is the error code and you'll hear the pump running when car is off while ignition is on, that is all. Once coded it'll go away.

This affects certain newer software versions and that's why we had to split the coding step and make it a separate step for now, just to provide a workaround as doing it this way, for now, works for many people.

For those that it doesn't work for the above link has instructions for getting it done with E-Sys in case we may not be around as we don't have support across all timezones 24/7 unfortunately but if you need any assistance we're here to help just ping us on our Tech Support portal so we can organize a time to remote in and get it done.

We're working to fix this so we can go back to our one button flash where it does the flash and recodes all in one shot and works across the newer software versions as well without a chance for needing a separate recoding step or having us remoting into anyone's laptop to resolve. Its a huge time killer on our end as well and we can't wait to have this issue squashed across the board.

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 02-16-2018 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 2
FSociety3815.50
      02-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #266
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasi_M3 View Post
Tried BM3 for the first time tonight on my '16 ZCP after PFT support was able to get my license activated.
What can I say, it was a rollercoaster of an experience and I almost had two small heart attacks

My disclaimer is that I did follow every step to a T but it wasn't enough, 'cause sometimes the unexpected happens.

1. First the DME unlock worked like a charm no issues AND THEN
2. I turned on the car and after a very short idle it died and threw drivetrain malfunction
3. I got desperate and pinged Cary to as for advice
4. While I waited for his response I looked online and saw a possible solution here https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...+with+bootmod3
5. I tried the steps in the first section (non Esys method) and that got me going again
6. Started the engine and was purring nicely
7. Then I tried my luck at the GTS TC tune and the connection with the bootmod3 server interrupted and could no loger connect
8. That got me stuck pretty bad and even after the server came back the GTS flash would fail immediately
9. I got in touch with Cary and he WAS the SHIET, we tried to fix in until my laptop died with no luck and we decided to call it.
10. I went and re-charged the PC and went back to the car, I had too much adrenaline running thru me and had to get it right.
11. So I repeated 1, 5, 6 and 7 and BAM! Everything worked like a charm

So then I took the car for a drive and the tranny shifts quick and smoothly, what a nice change. The power delivery and increase is also noticeable, and I love it.

My next steps is to try the GTS steering settings and CS dampers, etc. I'm not sure how to do that or if the Stage 2/93 OTS map already has those incorporated? Looking for pointers?!
..and one more thing. my sport displays changed to 640 HP and like 580TQ....makes me feel like I'm driving the new M5..HA! Maybe not yet, I'm going to have Cary put me on a corn diet and then we should see a change.

Anyways, I wrote this to hopefully help others and especially if this is your first rodeo with trying to self tune...it's not as intuitive to get back on your feet if things go south for whatever reason, but it's good not to panic and call support.
Glad you got it running and glad I could help!

I’m here if you guys need me.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3815.50
      02-16-2018, 08:30 AM   #267
e92_alex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post

Note that the fuel pump coding error on iDrive doesn't come up for everyone. Error is benign and car will run without coding. What you get is the error code and you'll hear the pump running when car is off while ignition is on, that is all. Once coded it'll go away.

This affects certain newer software versions and that's why we had to split the coding step and make it a separate step for now, just to provide a workaround as doing it this way, for now, works for many people.

For those that it doesn't work for the above link has instructions for getting it done with E-Sys in case we may not be around as we don't have support across all timezones 24/7 unfortunately but if you need any assistance we're here to help just ping us on our Tech Support portal so we can organize a time to remote in and get it done.

We're working to fix this so we can go back to our one button flash where it does the flash and recodes all in one shot and works across the newer software versions as well without a chance for needing a separate recoding step or having us remoting into anyone's laptop to resolve. Its a huge time killer on our end as well and we can't wait to have this issue squashed across the board.
With a fresh install of e-sys how do you 'connect to the car' i understand plug enet cable in but what connect parameters do you use?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #268
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_alex View Post
With a fresh install of e-sys how do you 'connect to the car' i understand plug enet cable in but what connect parameters do you use?
Here is an example. Uses an older esys version but screen is the same.

For the S55/N55 you choose the F020 entry (not the _DIRECT version), click Connect to VIN where it shows your VIN and and connect.

We'll add this screenshot to instructions as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
FSociety3815.50
      02-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #269
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

Free map to all those affected!
Appreciate 1
f80er2056.00
      02-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #270
eandy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RS

I read your response but it didnt explain or mention those that flash having no fuel light but stalling
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #271
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandy View Post
I read your response but it didnt explain or mention those that flash having no fuel light but stalling
Root cause of the issue is the same, coding. Ping us on support when ready and we can remote in to get this resolved for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #272
eandy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Root cause of the issue is the same, coding. Ping us on support when ready and we can remote in to get this resolved for you.
Thanks i’m home in around 1 hour for 2 hours before i’m away till Sunday i’ll ping a message as soon as back.

Just to speed things up ahead what will you require me to have installed / ready prior to remote so can cut as much of your time as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #273
e92_alex
Private First Class
Rep

Go into Export Mode (tab on the left)
Click on TAL Calculating
For the first text box where it says TAL, far right button with ..., click on it to choose this updated tal-coding xml file updated with your versions entered appropriately.
Click Read FA.
Click "Confirm software versions" and see that you get a Success message back
Click Start to do the coding

-------

As above, might be some errors or different versions. I've installed 3.27.1 is it the following:-

Expert Mode (not export?)
then TAL-Processing (rather than calculating, there is a calculating but it's under Comfort Mode)

Browse to amended .xml on the TAL line, then Read FA
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #274
m4journey
Private
Rep
Drives: f82

Quote:
Thanks i’m home in around 1 hour for 2 hours before i’m away till Sunday i’ll ping a message as soon as back.

Just to speed things up ahead what will you require me to have installed / ready prior to remote so can cut as much of your time as possible
As I remember, I have identical vehicle software details as you.

1. Download Teamviewer and install it.
2. Go to the link mentioned in the earlier post to Bimmerfest and download the e-sys pack and install it.
3. Find most powerful car charger as the process can take a long time. I used my 11amp during my support with a constant 13.1v-13.2V. [50amp is recommended]
4. Sit tight and Dzenan will get you back on track.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #275
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Your fuel pump load too?

And i would say the idle is a little lumpy.

I've been having a play with the Stage 1 and GTS tunes, one thing neither seem to have burbles like my standard ZCP? I can't help but think it's not flashed properly? Or i'm thinking to much of it as have the pump issue. currently trying to get this e-sys working!

Also the GTS DCT flash doesn't work either, just fails on write.

Were you able to fix this? How could GTS be less than ZCP if based on OEM tune?
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #276
e92_alex
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Done! Fuel message gone!.... so all good hopefully. I'll go out for a drive shortly.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #277
e92_alex
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
No, but only just cleared the fuel idrive message. I'll go out again shortly see how it is, but i went back to the Stage 1 map before doing the coding with e-sys.

If anything the GTS and Stage 1 burbles behaved the same, they're nearly none existent. Not that i necessarily want them but to be noticeable less then the ZCP has me questioning it.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #278
Tanaka3023
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4 & 2016 F25 X3 35i

Quote:
Quote:
No, but only just cleared the fuel idrive message. I'll go out again shortly see how it is, but i went back to the Stage 1 map before doing the coding with e-sys.

If anything the GTS and Stage 1 burbles behaved the same, they're nearly none existent. Not that i necessarily want them but to be noticeable less then the ZCP has me questioning it.
Make sure to Disable Active Sound in the diagnostics menu. Even though I believe active sound was already off I clicked it again and the burbles became more pronounced.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #279
eandy
Private First Class
Rep

Okay I've got home and flashed the Stage 1 map on, ran the car after the requirements and it's not stalling! and I've burbles etc and the fuel light, GTS Roar on start. Took it for a very quick 1 min run and burbles away.

Now when I went back and hit 'recode DME' as a test it went through, still the fuel light, started car up and got the GTS roar and the burbles have vanished? seems strange is there something in that 'recode' that removes the burbles out? would seem to tie in with what Alex has mentioned as well. Plausible my issue is unique and related to the fact the fuel light is already on.

I'll attempt to do the e-sys thing before I raise a ticket.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #280
_Nathan_
Rep
Drives: BMW

Did you flash online or offline?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #281
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive manual

Garage List
Quote:
Okay I've got home and flashed the Stage 1 map on, ran the car after the requirements and it's not stalling! and I've burbles etc and the fuel light, GTS Roar on start. Took it for a very quick 1 min run and burbles away.

Now when I went back and hit 'recode DME' as a test it went through, still the fuel light, started car up and got the GTS roar and the burbles have vanished? seems strange is there something in that 'recode' that removes the burbles out? would seem to tie in with what Alex has mentioned as well. Plausible my issue is unique and related to the fact the fuel light is already on.

Did you just free rev the car in neutral? If so, take it for a drive and I'd bet you'll hear the burbles under load. It won't always do it if there is no load on the engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #282
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

No fuel light prior to DME recode?

Is DME recode necessary if everything is ok.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #283
eandy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Yes, as when I ran everything through this morning and it all looked okay. My car had no fuel light but wouldn't run for more than 2 seconds.

It only runs now as after several attempts to get it back to stock the fuel light came on. I've not yet managed to remove it but about to try
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #284
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

How many tried the online flash method? I did the unlock again for fun and recode and then just ran the online flash after, in that order. Works like a charm but it also works for me without a need to recode with esys at all cause I guess I’m on an older software version.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #285
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:

I check med with them already on that and if you use the previous conventional method to flash using internet or what they call online flash it will just do it all for you and do recoding. But if your internet is shitty then the new method works and just do flash then recode and if you get a fuel light then just the esys thing which I don’t need on my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #286
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
How many tried the online flash method? I did the unlock again for fun and recode and then just ran the online flash after, in that order. Works like a charm but it also works for me without a need to recode with esys at all cause I guess I’m on an older software version.
Isn't it supposed to be...

a)Unlock
b)Online flash
c)recode

Also online is possible thru a laptop right?

Does unlock and online flash take longer than offline.

Last edited by swifty; 02-16-2018 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0