EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

04-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #1
Henry655
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible Competition DCT

Do you get stones/twigs stuck in your "wheels"?

I have no idea what the correct term is for the guard that sits behind the brake discs..maybe someone else can provide the correct name for it. I'll call it a dust guard for now.

Anyway, I previously had an e92 M3, now have an m4 comp convertible, had it for about a year now (wish I'd bought a coupe but otherwise it's great)

I have been getting stones stuck in behind this "dust guard" more than any other car I have owned, which is a real pain in backside.

Most of the time they just fall out but this time I took my car into the dealer to see if there was something else causing the grinding noise.

Dealer phones me to say that there is now a re-designed "dust guard" my words not his, and they are going to fit it under warranty.

My car is an October '16, and so maybe the new guard is now a factory fit, but this might be worth checking out if you find that your car is a magnet for small stones.

All the best
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Tin Can / Bottom Scraping Noise https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1052226
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
BMWM3ekim
Rep
Drives: '16 AB M3

mystery grinding sound

I have '16 M3 (September 15 build). The dealership calls it a backplate - specifically designed to keep stones/pebbles AWAY from the disc... doesn't do a very good job. Most of the time, when I hear it, I stop and drive in reverse - 50% of the time it dislodges whatever was caught. Othertimes, it just goes away on its own... never been the differential fluid for me. I do have steel brakes (vs ceramics - not that that should matter). Have had the back plate also "replaced" under warranty and looked at at least 3 times already by the dealership.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread