Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-21-2019, 09:22 AM   #23
rinzler081
Rep
Drives: M4

Adding to this forum. In addition to verifying the coating on the car via beading..How does one verify if the rims were coating with modesta with bc-06?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #24
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinzler081 View Post
Adding to this forum. In addition to verifying the coating on the car via beading..How does one verify if the rims were coating with modesta with bc-06?
Unfortunately, you can't verify if the wheels were coated with Modesta specifically. Upon cleaning you may be able to tell the wheels are coated if they're easier to clean; however, you won't be able to identify with which product they're coated. Also, if the wheels were in fact coated 2-3 years ago the coating is likely no longer effective as the coating does not last very long on wheels compared to painted surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 09:46 PM   #25
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

figuring out which in specific is impossible.

however, some last 3 months, 12 months, 3 years.

so while the initial investment stings up front, the 500 is well spent when averaged over multiple years. whats 20 bucks a month, or 15 a month of saving yourself 1-2 hours a month...time vs money thing here.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 05:28 PM   #26
mccoyua1
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive50e

Skeptical ceramic coating was done on my '24 X5 50e

I am worried that my brand new 2024 X5 does not have the "ceramic coating" that I paid for. I bought this out of state in Illinois and I live in Ohio so I cannot simply take back to them for review. I've included some photos. I thought ceramic coating would mitigate these types of marks. These photos are from a couple hours after going through a drive-thru car wash. Any thoughts? My immediate thought was to take somewhere local to verify the ceramic coating was completed. Here's the info that was included in the contract...
"PermaPlate
B1PLA - 3-WAY PREMDLX APP w/ 1-7 VR
OPTION - Fiber, Leather,
Paint - PREMDLX
84 months $825.00
Coverage
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 06:35 PM   #27
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoyua1 View Post
I am worried that my brand new 2024 X5 does not have the "ceramic coating" that I paid for. I bought this out of state in Illinois and I live in Ohio so I cannot simply take back to them for review. I've included some photos. I thought ceramic coating would mitigate these types of marks. These photos are from a couple hours after going through a drive-thru car wash. Any thoughts? My immediate thought was to take somewhere local to verify the ceramic coating was completed. Here's the info that was included in the contract...
"PermaPlate
OPTION - Fiber, Leather,
Paint - PREMDLX
84 months $825.00
Coverage
I’d never heard of PermaPlate so I looked it up. From what I’ve read and how it is applied, it sounds like PermaPlate is more like a sealant than a ceramic coating. Does your contract specifically state a ceramic coating was applied? Spray some water lightly onto the hood of your SUV to test the hydrophobic behavior of the paint surface to determine whether it has a ceramic coating applied to it. Watch the linked video if you’re not familiar with ceramic coatings.
https://youtu.be/KY-8KyRrOuE?si=N8EuROrxPBsCWWoj
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 06:34 PM   #28
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoyua1 View Post
"PermaPlate
OPTION - Fiber, Leather,
Paint - PREMDLX
84 months $825.00
Coverage
Ceramic coating doesn't stop water spots. I could be wrong about this but I've seen some people post that Ceramic coated cars are more prone to water spotting so you have to dry it off immediately.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 11:59 PM   #29
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Ceramic coating doesn't stop water spots. I could be wrong about this but I've seen some people post that Ceramic coated cars are more prone to water spotting so you have to dry it off immediately.
Really hard water will leave noticeable mineral deposits on a ceramic coated surface. Where I live we have extremely hard water from wells. If I’m in a rush and use our water directly, I’ll get mineral deposit spots all over the car (easily removed with vinegar if addressed quickly). However, if I use the CR Spotless water system, I can clean the car, let it air dry and there won’t be a single water/mineral spot on the car.
Appreciate 0