EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #23
rev29k
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Silverstone over Black

I don't know that I personally can tell that it gets absorbed all that much. I just did a test on the passenger seat in the wife's Lexus yesterday and she thought it was better, not dramatically better, but better. I guess it could just be me expecting more.

But to answer your question, in addition to the above, it does do a good job of making it FEEL soft to the touch, with a matte finish. Again, like Aboulfad, I think am looking for something to REALLY soften and hydrate so it's like brand new and not as stiff feeling when you apply pressure to it. Perhaps LM DOES do this, and I just need to apply it more often/routinely.

I have seen videos of people with E92 and E46 M3's and their leather looks very soft and giving, almost stretched. I would think even those had semi-aniline leather at least, if not fully treated leather. So perhaps some of these treatments DO work, and we just need to be more vigilant. I admit I haven't treated my M3 for probably over a year at least, but then it's a Garage Queen and it hasn't been driven much. Even more so given Covid. And I haven't touched the wife's leather in couple of years, so perhaps they DO work and we just need to be more structured in our upkeep/application. I admit I am still on the fence, but I figure even if it doesn't work, I have to do SOMETHING.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #24
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev29k View Post
.. Again, like Aboulfad, I think am looking for something to REALLY soften and hydrate so it's like brand new and not as stiff feeling when you apply pressure to it. Perhaps LM DOES do this, and I just need to apply it more often/routinely. ..
my SO leather is soft but it also feels "sturdy", I can say in its current state 5yrs/50K km later, its 8/10 (10 original). I did though regularly maintain with the various products on avg every 3 or so months.

I never had any expectations, being an avid DIY'er and having been through decades of detailing products, i know that "miracle" products do not exist. Leatherique is a very old product that i believe does amazing job on older generation worn leathers. It is possible that results could be different if an F8x owner applied Leatherique from the getgo, who knows !

Here's a pic 24hrs later on the part that I applied 2 prior coats. it looked the same when i applied it (maybe some oil soaked and/or evaporated).
Attached Images

Last edited by aboulfad; 07-06-2020 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 07:50 PM   #25
Mikster
Maverick
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80

On a related note, a few years ago I bought some leather protection cream from the dealer. The product shape and consistency looked a lot like the Leather Masters stuff, but it was made in Italy. Well, lo and behold, judging by this maker's website, it's got to be the same stuff.
https://www.uniters.com/product-ingredients

The bottles are the same, the presentation, even some product names. It must be made by Uniters and simply private-labeled for Leather Masters.

And now--we can see the ingredients in each product. Lots of chemical-sounding names here.

M

EDIT: And...yeah there it is. They ARE Leather Masters!
https://www.uniters.com/company/our-brands.html
Appreciate 1
aboulfad1592.50
      07-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #26
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
@Mikster cool find. Many products contain chemicals, even LO, especially stuff to increase absorption. (DMSO)

Quoting another member, we may be doing more harm to our leather by rubbing in who knows what... he was recommending just light cleaning with distilled water.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:31 AM   #27
AYTifosi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW F82 M4  [10.00]
Leatherique

I've used Leatherique since about 2011. If you read their website or communicate with them, you'll quickly see they know leather and how to care for it. It isn't just about "cleaning" the leather, it's about hydrating it. Yes, its more work and in the short run some of the other "cleaners" may do the same job. In fact, if you're going to keep your car for only a few years it might seem like too much work and hassle. However, if you want your leather to look good and stay health and supple for years, Leatherique is the ticket.
      07-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #28
Hokayy
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Would you guys recommend using this on the leather that's on the dash if ones that have the optional leather dash? I've been using Aero303 (I think that's it is called) only on the leather dash.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 04:28 PM   #29
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokayy View Post
Would you guys recommend using this on the leather that's on the dash if ones that have the optional leather dash? I've been using Aero303 (I think that's it is called) only on the leather dash.
I'd try on a hidden or small part first, even though Leatherique states it's safe on most leather types.
Aerospace 303 is another old product :-) I wouldn't use it on a F8x bcoz the car deserves "better" lol They were very well known along with Lexol for vinyl, semi-leather cleaners,...

According to Leatherique, if any products applied contains silicones then it may block the oil "hydrating" and "penetrating". They recommended a gentle wipe with IPA, which personally I wouldn't do as alcohol or even 1:1 is still harsh on any leather, maybe a quick wipe is ok.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 09:56 AM   #30
rev29k
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Silverstone over Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYTifosi View Post
I've used Leatherique since about 2011. If you read their website or communicate with them, you'll quickly see they know leather and how to care for it. It isn't just about "cleaning" the leather, it's about hydrating it. Yes, its more work and in the short run some of the other "cleaners" may do the same job. In fact, if you're going to keep your car for only a few years it might seem like too much work and hassle. However, if you want your leather to look good and stay health and supple for years, Leatherique is the ticket.
How do you get them to communicate with you? I've emailed them several times at multiple addresses the list on their site and have yet to receive a single response. And it's been a week or two since I started.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 07:23 PM   #31
jonf49
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
It’s hard to know if the leather was like that originally or with time it develops that texture. Contrast that with the headrest area which is rarely used.

I’ve applied 2 more coats on the bottom seat front area: oil looks like it’s sitting on top and the texture never changes. Before the 2nd application I did wipe it down with IPA as suggested by Leatherique to ensure no silicone residue (if any)
“IPA”?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 02:12 AM   #32
jonf49
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Executive summary: if your F8x leather is ok, the only advantage I saw with Leatherique 2-step process is the time you're spending caressing your leather seats and soft/matte leather

I have 50K Kms (31k mi) on my 5yr old M4 SO interior and have regularly cleaned the leather with LeatherMaster cleaner/conditioner, then with BMW leather cleaner kit, and finally now I decided to give Leatherique a try. I have the usual wear/creases on the bolster, the front seats (mostly used) have some signs of "shine" that is gone when cleaned with any above cleaners.

I've applied the oil on the front seats, let it sit for ~24 hrs with windows/windshield blocked in outside sunny hot day. The oil did not get absorbed as much as I thought it should. The company said that I previously used products that contains silicons that may impede the oil from penetrating but I doubt either LM or BMW uses silicons ? After cleaning the surface with Pristine clean, i was left with a soft (but not way softer) and mat surface.

Overall, easy process with acceptable results no better or worse than other quality products. Will i buy it again, no. Will I try another product, yes. After going through this experience, I believe that at least for my car leather condition, Leatherique was overkill and did not provide any major benefits.

First two pics with oil on, then after it was cleaned. I've started the process for the rear seats and interestingly the oil penetrated more on the rear seats, u go figure ! I applied the oil by hand on the front seats and using a pad for the rear seats, so that [...]
Did you intentionally get the scrub ninja applicator pad as opposed to using the brush that came with my leatherique kit? Is it supposed to be more gentle than the brush?

Just want some opinions about the scrub ninja vs brushes!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 08:29 AM   #33
jonf49
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonf49 View Post
Did you intentionally get the scrub ninja applicator pad as opposed to using the brush that came with my leatherique kit? Is it supposed to be more gentle than the brush?

Just want some opinions about the scrub ninja vs brushes!

Thanks
Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 07:04 AM   #34
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
aboulfad Nice results!
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 1
aboulfad1592.50
      08-11-2023, 07:53 AM   #35
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWYER View Post
aboulfad Nice results!
Thank you but tbh my opinion hasn’t changed, for my car leather & its good condition, I’ve only saw very small marginal results. I still use it diluted as a quick leather cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 09:48 PM   #36
jonf49
Captain
Rep

I purchased leatherique a while ago. Here in Northern CA the weather has been in the 80’s. With my work schedule I currently only have one day off a week. Would it be a waste to use that day to apply the oil in the morning, let it sit until it cools off outside and then go over it with the pristine clean. I do have some wear/cracking on my drivers side bolster. And a little creasing - from dryness? - on the passenger side headrest area… off to the side. What are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 06:11 AM   #37
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
^^^ There is no harm to try, there’s a lot in those bottles that you could repeat it again. As detailed in the OP, I didn’t find a magical improvement but maybe it would for your seat’s leather condition.
Appreciate 1
jonf49132.50
      08-25-2023, 12:23 AM   #38
jonf49
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonf49 View Post
“IPA”?
Isopropyl Alcohol I’m guessing?
Appreciate 0