BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

08-11-2023, 07:23 AM   #1
ajbM4cab
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab / M240 Cab / M235i XD

Garage List
M4 competition convertible drivers seat issue

Hi All

Hopefully someone can help me with this seat issue.
My driver’s seat side bolster and plastic housing have come apart. The dealer has addressed and ‘fixed’ this twice under the warranty. However it has come away again for a third time.
Very little use on the car. No force applied or snagging on the seat bolster neither.

They have replaced the seat sponge and air bag but still come away again.

It is going in again under warranty but wary of another temporary fix.
I have told them that this in not wear and tear but a failure of parts. They agreed to address under extended warranty.

Question. Has anyone experienced similar or knowledgable of a permanent fix.
Obviously a replacement seat is the ultimate answer. Just can’t see them agreeing to that.

Car is a 2019 M4 competition convertible

Thanks in advance

Andy
Attached Images

Last edited by ajbM4cab; 08-12-2023 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 04:10 PM   #2
ajbM4cab
Private
Rep

Garage List
Bit of a bump on an old post of mine. Has anyone had this issue at all with the Seat leather coming away from the plastic trim.
Had it in to the dealer twice under extended warranty but still come away again.
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 08:05 AM   #3
N44RP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Hmm I had an issue regarding that though not exactly the same situation. That is actually the airbag cover which is like permanently clipped onto the airbag housing and once it separates you’ll have to jerry rig back.
Yours doesn’t look like the cover has separated from the bag but my 2016 also didn’t seem to grip the leather the way yours is doing
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 09:21 AM   #4
ajbM4cab
Private
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for advice

The black trim is actually loose so has come away. The dealer keeps clipping it back but it just comes away after little time with also the bolster losing all tension.
I will be able to put it back in again under a failed warranty repair but fear it simply becoming a constant issue.

Surely there must be a permanent fix.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 07:13 AM   #5
N44RP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

If the cover is truly separated from the clips I don’t think there’s a way to put it back on, if you pull back the cover you’ll see the “clips” are actually molded onto the inside of the cover and it’s not supposed to be removable. Mine separated because the previous owner was a gorilla and climbed in and out tearing at that thing and it sheared off those molded clips.

Short of using expoxy to glue the cover back onto the airbag housing I don’t think you can fix that. That or get a new airbag assembly (which is really not ideal but I did consider it to fix the issue)
Appreciate 1