ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #89
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
It's funny, I've been a car guy for many years but I only recently realized there's a big difference between TORQUE and torque multiplied by gearing and put onto a curve that holds the torque over a long stretch of RPM.

I daily drive a vehicle producing around 650 lb/ft of torque (peak). However, that peak comes on early, it's geared very tall, it's tied to a sometimes lazy transmission, and the torque tapers as the revs climb.

Lot less fun that way

Can't wait to experience the HIGHER wheel torque (after gear multiplication) and the sustained torque delivery of the M3.
I think it's terrific that for one, we are in a terrific era to be an automotive enthusiast, and two, I have seen quite a bit more attention being paid by people actually taking the time to learn these differences, and why these advancements are so important to the industry and future. Typically HP has been what many consider the numerical representation of a vehicles speed capability, and Torque being the that representing acceleration. For many years, an increase in one, lead to a decrease in the other. What BMW has done wether purposefully or not, has brought awareness to the fact that in order increase both, they have had to focus on maximizing efficiency and utilizing the best gearing ratios as well as reducing weight (their next obstacle of attention) overall, providing the best of both worlds and giving us an opportunity to understand that it is more than just numbers that make the complete package.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #90
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
I LOVE my car and happy others love it as well

Get all those bugs off of the front fender. But at least we know you're driving it fast.

Cheers.
      06-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #91
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
Get all those bugs off of the front fender. But at least we know you're driving it fast.

Cheers.
LOL I just did that an hour ago after seeing this picture on a big screen. had to use hot water and a sponge which was NOT easy, wish I would have brought some car cleaning/detailing products with me
      06-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #92
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

One of only a few that I've seen with the HID's (..which is how I spec'd my car too).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 04:12 AM   #93
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Quote:

One of only a few that I've seen with the HID's (..which is how I spec'd my car too).
The LEDs are stunning don't get me wrong but for "free" the HIDs are awesome. My only knock on the HIDs is the light bulb for turn signal. But even if you get the LED package you will still have a light bulb in the tail light... BMW just loves to troll us lol
      06-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #94
AweSam8
Super Spectacular Awesome Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E70 X5M, 2014 F30 335i M

Damn... Wish I had the money to get a new M3. Settling here with my '14 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #95
dreamsongs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - E92 M3 - 335i vert

"It feels staid and synthetic and, for me, it’s a huge disappointment. Not one person came forward in its defence."

This line right here from Top Gear magazine is pretty brutal for the M4. If I was not on this forum and I read that I'd be heading to the Chevy dealer right now and signing for a C7.

It seems they don't like it all. Not sure what to think about this. Aside from the fact that they like it as a "boulevard cruiser" they hate every other aspect of the car.

OK, so now we have a truly negative review. First real negative I've seen of this car yet !
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #96
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
"It feels staid and synthetic and, for me, it’s a huge disappointment. Not one person came forward in its defence."

This line right here from Top Gear magazine is pretty brutal for the M4. If I was not on this forum and I read that I'd be heading to the Chevy dealer right now and signing for a C7.

It seems they don't like it all. Not sure what to think about this. Aside from the fact that they like it as a "boulevard cruiser" they hate every other aspect of the car.

OK, so now we have a truly negative review. First real negative I've seen of this car yet !
No, it is misleading

First, short TG review gave it 9/10
Longer TG review sang its praises
Hammond likes it (review in mirror)
Clarkson likes it (said wants one)

The line you quote is from part of the speed week article. Was picked as one of best cars in 2014 (14 total) and that was whittled to 5, including M4 (to get there, beat Cayman GTS) Others in final group were 918, P1, C7 and VW golf.

In the end, against only kind of competitor in that group (measuring performance, remember, not general usefulness) it was not better than C7.

...but that car also delivered 'ass whipping' to E90 on track (said Edwards)

So, ok, as pure track or performance car, C7 is better.

But, that does not mean M4 is bad or they don't like it. The other 4 Top Gear reviews or comments on that car were full of praise.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #97
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

It's hard for me to justify buying a m4 over a c7 when you consider the value for money, but if you want 4 doors it's an easy decision. The M3 is a clear winner regardless of what the competition has in the 2d format.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #98
thebigcheese
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Neat
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #99
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115
It's hard for me to justify buying a m4 over a c7 when you consider the value for money, but if you want 4 doors it's an easy decision. The M3 is a clear winner regardless of what the competition has in the 2d format.
Is value just raw performance metrics? Or, should it include aesthetics, material quality, ergonomics, technology, flexibility, etc? Don't give me the Vette has a better interior argument. It is better, but not in the same league as the M4/2. You should also factor in which car will allow you to perform the best, not just a pro driver. I like the Vette, but up close, it looks and feels like a "bargain," which it is. These M cars feel high end. That's where the money difference resides. I think the M4/3 is as good, if not a better, "value" than the Vette when you look at everything as a whole.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #100
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bimmer View Post
Sweet!!! I cannot wait!!! I will be so broke but who cares. No I mean really, no one cares if I go broke and my wife leaves me. The truth is that they are a pair of unique TQ powerhouses. As an owner of e30 M3 and e92 M3, the M4 would be ideal for my collection. Who knows, the New M3 could possible squeeze in as well. Thanks for publishing it and possibly ruining my life. Lmao
I see you're in Houston. I would love to check out the E30!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbnda View Post
I couldn't care less about what these 2 clowns say about the M3/4.
JC seems to judge a car depending on the condition of his hemorrhoids, and RH is happy as long as his hair is in place and hydrated.
Post of the week right here.

Last edited by modkrazy; 06-29-2014 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #101
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

BIG.
its going to be BIG.
M division are back.
      07-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #102
JoePcone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
No, it is misleading

First, short TG review gave it 9/10
Longer TG review sang its praises
Hammond likes it (review in mirror)
Clarkson likes it (said wants one)

The line you quote is from part of the speed week article. Was picked as one of best cars in 2014 (14 total) and that was whittled to 5, including M4 (to get there, beat Cayman GTS) Others in final group were 918, P1, C7 and VW golf.

In the end, against only kind of competitor in that group (measuring performance, remember, not general usefulness) it was not better than C7.

...but that car also delivered 'ass whipping' to E90 on track (said Edwards)

So, ok, as pure track or performance car, C7 is better.

But, that does not mean M4 is bad or they don't like it. The other 4 Top Gear reviews or comments on that car were full of praise.
Exactly, they sang the m4's praises on the first reviews. Regardless, the competition is getting better. The vette was never this good so the bar has been raised. I still think this is an absolutely amazing car which will make it's owners very glad they purchased one. However it's always nice to have other solid performance car options.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #103
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePcone View Post
Exactly, they sang the m4's praises on the first reviews. Regardless, the competition is getting better. The vette was never this good so the bar has been raised. I still think this is an absolutely amazing car which will make it's owners very glad they purchased one. However it's always nice to have other solid performance car options.
Absolutely. So many people miss the fact that competition is getting better and that is a GGOD thing for all of us as consumers. I don't want only one option, I want 5 and I want to agonize over it. Then I will know the vehicle is worth the dollars.
Appreciate 0