Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #45
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph335 View Post
What's the point of a b3 again? Is it way cheaper than M?
Looks like if you want an n54 in an f series chassis and willing to spend $15k...
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=872279" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://f30.bimmerpos...p?t=872279</a>

Might as well go m, lighter, LSD, good trans, FAT fenders, and tune will be even more power. Better interior, better pizza, papa johns.
hahahahahahahahahaaah
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #46
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

I have never met one person who was moved, or excited about an Alpina offering. They are bland and typically have a lack of curb appeal.

It's an aftermarket for the ignorantly rich.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #47
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
Yeah but.. Alpinas are very fast road cars, not for racing, so car lengths don't really matter when you hit the next set of traffic lights or the cops pull you over... The B3 would never be faster than an M4 anyway, they are different animals.
Yeah but... I thought the topic of this thread is "M4 vs B3 alpina biturbo acceleration". In my opinion when discussing the acceleration difference between two cars, car lengths do matter, not what each respective cars intended use is.
You're right. It wasn't a criticism, it was really aimed at the potential barrage of 'what is the point in the B3' comments I anticipated following the highlight of the B3 is slower, not your comment per se.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #48
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
I have never met one person who was moved, or excited about an Alpina offering. They are bland and typically have a lack of curb appeal.

That's a very profitable market segment for a lot of companies eh
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 05:44 AM   #49
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
maybe my counter is off, by the M4 hit 150kph 1.0-1.3 seconds quicker and 210kph approx 1.5-1.8 seconds quicker, that's a actually a noticable gap.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #50
christof30
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 320d Xdrive EstorilBlueII

wow! this alpina is quick! (:
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #51
ALPINA B5
Banned
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: the subway. otherwise the bmw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post

well, i am one, who is excited.

have to admit, in recent years, they have become more comfortable high power tuner than bonkers tuner (alpina b10 biturbo e34 for example). but being a guy that likes rather toned down things and luxurious interiors, i like the alpina. i just wish they make a manual version again for the top range cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #52
v1k1ng01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919 View Post
Call Alpina what you like. The fact is they don't manufacture the cars sold at BMW dealerships. They modify cars manufactured by BMW.
Actually that's incorrect... to modify would suggest the car started as something then other then an Alpina. In this this case that is not true.

The B7 for example is built from scratch on the same assembly line as the 7 series in Dingolfing. However the parts like the V8 motor for example are built by hand at Alpina's facility in Buchloe and shipped to Dingolfing for assembly. When the skeleton of car are finished being assembly it's shipped back to Alpina's facility for final steps. Stuff like Interior parts, Media systems, and CPU software.

Last edited by v1k1ng01; 07-10-2014 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #53
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i; G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng01 View Post
Actually that's incorrect... to modify would suggest the who car started as something then other then an Alpina. In this this case that is not true.

The B7 for example is built from scratch on the same assembly line as the 7 series in Dingolfing. However the parts like the V8 motor for example are built by hand at Alpina's facility in Buchloe and shipped to Dingolfing for assembly. When the skeleton of car are finished being assembly it's shipped back to Alpina's facility for final steps. Stuff like Interior parts, Media systems, and CPU software.
Some additions:

- Alpinas are "born" as Alpina's, not as BMW's, the registration at the authorities is as "Alpina".
- Alpina is a car manufacturer brand, you cannot put BMW parts (like rims) to an Alpina without the permission of the authorities (at least here in Germany)
- Alpina has it's own distribution Network: In Germany, you can only buy an Alpina at an Alpina dealership which is mostly included in big BMW dealerships but never in the BMW own distribution centers. In Germany you cannot buy an Alpina from BMW (I know in the US it is different (for the B7)).
- BMW and Alpina a VERY close. I assume they synchronize their product strategy together. BMW saves a lot of money with them I assume, because the small volume models (different engines, engines in between BMW and M, etc.) which would be not profitable for BMW are provided by Alpina

Click signature for current and previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #54
v1k1ng01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itf joegun View Post
Some additions:

- Alpinas are "born" as Alpina's, not as BMW's, the registration at the authorities is as "Alpina".
- Alpina is a car manufacturer brand, you cannot put BMW parts (like rims) to an Alpina without the permission of the authorities (at least here in Germany)
- Alpina has it's own distribution Network: In Germany, you can only buy an Alpina at an Alpina dealership which is mostly included in big BMW dealerships but never in the BMW own distribution centers. In Germany you cannot buy an Alpina from BMW (I know in the US it is different (for the B7)).
- BMW and Alpina a VERY close. I assume they synchronize their product strategy together. BMW saves a lot of money with them I assume, because the small volume models (different engines, engines in between BMW and M, etc.) which would be not profitable for BMW are provided by Alpina
Thank You! There's obviously a difference in perception about what Alpina's are between American and German BMW enthusiasts. In Germany the common consensus is that they are recognized as an independent manufacturer, and nobody would call them a tuner car. That subject wouldn't even be a discussion in Europe. I think Alpina falls into the category of Sport Hot-Hatches, Performance Diesels, and SuperCar Wagons which seem only to appeal to Europeans.

Last edited by v1k1ng01; 07-11-2014 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 12:52 AM   #55
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i; G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng01 View Post
Thank You! There's obviously a different in perception about what Alpina's are between American and German BMW enthusiasts. In Germany the common consensus is that they are recognized as an independent manufacturer, and nobody would call them a tuner car. That subject wouldn't even be a discussion in Europe. I think Alpina falls into the category or Sport Hot-Hatches, Performance Diesels, and SuperCar Wagons which seem only to appeal to Europeans.
It is a question of perception and marketing, I fully agree. If the cars where sold directly by BMW also in Germany, some would come to the 'tuner' conclusion too.

I just saw that you are located in Mainz. 50 kms away from me, I am located near Grünstadt...

Click signature for current and previous cars.
Appreciate 0