Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-25-2014, 02:27 AM   #1
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
MPE vs Akrapovic vs Eis

Given that all are right around the same price , I see far more threads talking about MPE and even eis than Akra.

Without downpipes, are they fairly similar? Looks-wise, I prefer the Akra over the others.

Any thoughts? Anyone heard all three systems And can chime in?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
Enzoyama_
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

This could turn into a very opinionated thread since the sound of the exhaust seems to be a very personal preference. However, I would say that each exhaust you mentioned does have unique acoustics and looks. I run the M Performance exhaust on my M4 and have heard the Eisenmann exhaust in person. I have not heard the Akra in person, but I believe there are different versions.

Akra: Since I haven't heard the Akra in person I won't comment on the sound but the looks do look pretty good from what I can tell.

Eis: The Eisenmann sounds like a more grunty and louder stock exhaust.

MPE: I loved the exhaust sound on this one in all environments (revving, tunnels, garages, open air, low and high RPM). It's a very refined but very loud exhaust. Once you punch it to >2200 RPM it almost changes tone that reminds me of a deeper Ferrari exhaust. The looks are really nice, too. I have the titanium tips which have an ///M logo engraved, stick out a little longer than stock, are wider, and are cut perpendicular to the road (not slanted like on stock). You also have the option of the carbon fiber tips, but just know that these are just a CF covering over the Ti tips. Another good attribute about the MPE is that I hear the resale value is pretty high since it is a BMW part.

Videos of each exhaust are not really a good way to make a choice on exhaust. I would suggest seeking out some tuner shops, other members on the forum close to you, or maybe a BMW dealership that may have some exhausts to share with you so you can hear them in person.

A lot of people on here (likely to post on this thread) will give you all the reasons in the world why it's ridiculous to spend >$4k on an exhaust with little/no performance gains. However, this is also a very personal preference and not even the subject of the thread so I hope they stay on subject. To me, I valued the sound and look enough to pay for the MPE and I love hearing it every time I get in my car.
Appreciate 3
      12-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
This could turn into a very opinionated thread since the sound of the exhaust seems to be a very personal preference. However, I would say that each exhaust you mentioned does have unique acoustics and looks. I run the M Performance exhaust on my M4 and have heard the Eisenmann exhaust in person. I have not heard the Akra in person, but I believe there are different versions.

Akra: Since I haven't heard the Akra in person I won't comment on the sound but the looks do look pretty good from what I can tell.

Eis: The Eisenmann sounds like a more grunty and louder stock exhaust.

MPE: I loved the exhaust sound on this one in all environments (revving, tunnels, garages, open air, low and high RPM). It's a very refined but very loud exhaust. Once you punch it to >2200 RPM it almost changes tone that reminds me of a deeper Ferrari exhaust. The looks are really nice, too. I have the titanium tips which have an ///M logo engraved, stick out a little longer than stock, are wider, and are cut perpendicular to the road (not slanted like on stock). You also have the option of the carbon fiber tips, but just know that these are just a CF covering over the Ti tips. Another good attribute about the MPE is that I hear the resale value is pretty high since it is a BMW part.

Videos of each exhaust are not really a good way to make a choice on exhaust. I would suggest seeking out some tuner shops, other members on the forum close to you, or maybe a BMW dealership that may have some exhausts to share with you so you can hear them in person.

A lot of people on here (likely to post on this thread) will give you all the reasons in the world why it's ridiculous to spend >$4k on an exhaust with little/no performance gains. However, this is also a very personal preference and not even the subject of the thread so I hope they stay on subject. To me, I valued the sound and look enough to pay for the MPE and I love hearing it every time I get in my car.
Very informative post and appreciate your opinion. I have stock and enjoy it just as well. The MPE is enticing though...maybe early bday gift for myself.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
Merli
Sunburnt Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Great post!

May I ask, did you yourself hear both the Eisenmann and MPE in person before making a choice, and made an educated choice towards the MPE after viewing/hearing both in person?

Past: 2009 Ibis White S5 (APR Supercharged V8)
Past: 2004 Imola Red M3 Convertible
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

To be honest, I didn't have the luxury of listening to different exhausts in person before deciding. I knew the stock sound wasn't for me and I also wanted something from BMW (personal decision). After listening to videos on-line (not exactly recommended) I took a risk and pre-ordered the MPE.

If you have the opportunity to listen to others in-person then that would be the recommended option; otherwise, videos and commentary.

I am a bit lucky since I went out on a limb and purchased before really hearing exhausts in person and it turning into an exhaust I love.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 06:30 AM   #7
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Its def impossible to judge exhaust notes from vids especially with these cars. I know in my e92M days the exhaust characteristics and sound could kinda of be replicated in videos to a point but with these cars its impossible. Case being the vid posted showing the OEM stock exhaust with valve mod vs the Eisenmann. In the video the volume and the way it was shot would suggest the two sounded similar and basically the same volume. Well that can't be further from the truth. The Eisenmann read 15-17 db louder that is NIGHT AND DAY.

I for one have no biased choice to any exhaust. We sell MPE's, I own a Eisenmann, and before that I would only buy Akra lol. So I'm all over the map!

At the end of the day you have two options. You can track down someone who is near you or an event that would have someone with the exhaust or you take a leap of faith and buy one without hearing it. You can go off peoples reviews but even those can be biased at times to justify their purchases. Exhaust notes are sooooooo individual to the person. You could hear one and say OMG that is horrible but another person thinks the world of it, its a crazy thing. Either way the good news is that there are starting to be a lot of options out there all of which have their pros and cons.

my eisenmann review and vids:http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1069268

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I would say all 3 exhausts options you mention are good ones. You cannot go wrong with any of them. As others have mentioned, to make the most educated pick on which one you prefer, you need to hear them all in real life.

I went with the MPE because I was very satisfied with the MPE on my E92, because I get full warranty (same as the car) and because it was the first one available (I was not very fond of the stock exhaust note). I am very happy with it .
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
Alex@TAG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 RS7, 488 Spider, i3 REX, 57

So I have heard all three. The MPE and the Akrapovic sound very similar, but the Akrapovic (with Evo Link Pipe) is just a bit louder and sounds more exotic. The Eisenmann sounds a bit more burly but doesn't have that exotic note, just sounds very burly....

In high pitch, the Akrapovic just sounds absolutely intoxicating. I have it on our shop Project Black Betty, and recently installed the Akrapovic Downpipe and I must say, Its a bit too loud for my liking, i will probably revert back to the stock downpipe and the Akrapovic Evolution System.

If anyone is in So Cal and wants to hear the Akrapovic System, feel free to shoot me a PM or swing by the shop
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #10
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@TAG View Post
So I have heard all three. The MPE and the Akrapovic sound very similar, but the Akrapovic (with Evo Link Pipe) is just a bit louder and sounds more exotic. The Eisenmann sounds a bit more burly but doesn't have that exotic note, just sounds very burly....

In high pitch, the Akrapovic just sounds absolutely intoxicating. I have it on our shop Project Black Betty, and recently installed the Akrapovic Downpipe and I must say, Its a bit too loud for my liking, i will probably revert back to the stock downpipe and the Akrapovic Evolution System.

If anyone is in So Cal and wants to hear the Akrapovic System, feel free to shoot me a PM or swing by the shop
Can I assume without the downpipes, you do not need the CEL suppressor?
Can you post a short video with the Akra evolution set up on the F8x (on the other coast, so drive by not possible)?

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep

you won't get a cel with stock DPs in place

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #12
GotEM4
General
Rep
Drives: EM4

After hearing the sounds...not much of a difference....I'd stick to stock....unless it's very distinct like the old M3 V8
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #13
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotEM4 View Post
After hearing the sounds...not much of a difference....I'd stick to stock....unless it's very distinct like the old M3 V8
you heard all three in person? Or are you stating this off videos?

As much as I wish this car would sound like the last gen v8 it will never happen which is a bummer but this new engine makes its own unique sound which I'm starting to enjoy more and more everyday. Its different but change can be good

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #14
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
you heard all three in person? Or are you stating this off videos?

As much as I wish this car would sound like the last gen v8 it will never happen which is a bummer but this new engine makes its own unique sound which I'm starting to enjoy more and more everyday. Its different but change can be good
I love the sound of the new car more and more every day. Maybe my MPE is just breaking in more. I have heard MPE and Akra and IMO they don't sound alike.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 12:35 AM   #15
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

How does this video capture the sound of MPE? It seems to be one of the better exhaust videos I've heard for the F8X's.

12-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #16
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Have heard any of the Videos I posted of the system Active Autowerkes made for my car? To me it sounds different than all of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #17
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er View Post
How does this video capture the sound of MPE? It seems to be one of the better exhaust videos I've heard for the F8X's.

I have to say its pretty close as an MPE owner. I think its just a tad deeper in person. The longer I drive it the deeper it seems to get. I freakin' love it! I had AA pre-ordered and canceled to stay w/ MPE.
Appreciate 0