proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
jimmyM2C
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 Porsche 911 GTS

M Performance Exhaust - Why?

I apologize in advance if this has been answered already (I suspect it has, but finding it...?).

Why is there any need for the MPE? I understand that it is 8 kg lighter (or something like that). And it definitely looks better. If that is the motivation, then OK, I understand.

I don't understand why there should be any sound difference. I have not seen a good A/B comparison where only the exhaust is changed (i.e., cats left alone).

When the bypass valves open up, isn't the exhaust essentially straight-through? In that case, the exhaust wouldn't make any difference. True?

Thanks for the clarifications!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
Brady1984
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

jimjoeM4 you are new so I will lay it all out for you in 10 easy steps, you need to go ahead and get on the bandwagon and stop thinking for yourself these mods have been carefully laid out for us:
Step 1) You order your car with super options XXXX and X and run down every other choice of color, interior and gadget.
Step 2) Before it arrives buy several thousand dollars in parts to put on it because chrome disgusts you or you just can't bear to touch anything not covered in carbon fiber and suede... sorry, alcantara.
Step 3) Get a JB4 without the slightest need for more power because hey, racecar.
Step 4) Get the MPE, Akra exhaust or local shop straight pipe and catless downpipes because you and your neighbor will just love the sound of the exhaust at 5 am. Also you definitely need a titanium pipe "down there" you know.
Step 5) Now you can finally take delivery of the car, bitch about your SA, CA or other guys at the dealership with an A in their title who won't answer your texts or e-mails at 5am.
Step 6) Now it's time to put on the ugliest most expensive wheels you can find, drop the car 11 inches so it rides below the surface of the road and handles like shit.
Step 7) Go to "Mexico" to race your buddies XXXXX mobile, which is a total POS, can't hang or is modded in such a secret and stealth way that no car on the earth can outrun it.
Step 8) Get bored with original ugly wheels, change wheels, apply hideous decal, lights, sirens, fuzzy dice and a matte wrap... that's what it needs a matte wrap.
Step 9) Add super secret map 99 with methanol, ethanol, menthol and eucalyptus injection. Complain that it cuts out and runs out of steam at 7,900 RPM.
Step 10) Remove crap, sell it to unsuspecting buyer; repeat.
      11-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
jimmyM2C
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Brady1984, thank you so much for the explanation (and for going easy on me as a noob). Even after getting "conditioned" to Porsche prices, I was a bit surprised to see the price of MPE, especially considering the questionable benefits.

Apparently, I have to get with the program, thanks for the guidance! Excellent primer!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady1984 View Post
jimjoeM4 you are new so I will lay it all out for you in 10 easy steps, you need to go ahead and get on the bandwagon and stop thinking for yourself these mods have been carefully laid out for us:
Step 1) You order your car with super options XXXX and X and run down every other choice of color, interior and gadget.
Step 2) Before it arrives buy several thousand dollars in parts to put on it because chrome disgusts you or you just can't bear to touch anything not covered in carbon fiber and suede... sorry, alcantara.
Step 3) Get a JB4 without the slightest need for more power because hey, racecar.
Step 4) Get the MPE, Akra exhaust or local shop straight pipe and catless downpipes because you and your neighbor will just love the sound of the exhaust at 5 am. Also you definitely need a titanium pipe "down there" you know.
Step 5) Now you can finally take delivery of the car, bitch about your SA, CA or other guys at the dealership with an A in their title who won't answer your texts or e-mails at 5am.
Step 6) Now it's time to put on the ugliest most expensive wheels you can find, drop the car 11 inches so it rides below the surface of the road and handles like shit.
Step 7) Go to "Mexico" to race your buddies XXXXX mobile, which is a total POS, can't hang or is modded in such a secret and stealth way that no car on the earth can outrun it.
Step 8) Get bored with original ugly wheels, change wheels, apply hideous decal, lights, sirens, fuzzy dice and a matte wrap... that's what it needs a matte wrap.
Step 9) Add super secret map 99 with methanol, ethanol, menthol and eucalyptus injection. Complain that it cuts out and runs out of steam at 7,900 RPM.
I'm going to frame this.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
I would say that's accurate.
      11-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
jimmyM2C
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

BTW, I get my Sakhir Orange M4 this coming Friday. I will start working on the list above.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjoeM4
BTW, I get my Sakhir Orange M4 this coming Friday. I will start working on the list above.
I've done everything but the race, the exhaust, and the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #8
DandyKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 YMB

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
Schullz51
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
We can officially shut down the forum. Every thread is right here!!

2015 BMW M3 F80: 11.780 @ 118.670 MPH
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #10
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Quote:
You're the fucking man
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 10:25 PM   #11
smedin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT

That's really awesome! Except for the part where the question needs to be answered...
      11-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #12
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjoeM4 View Post
I apologize in advance if this has been answered already (I suspect it has, but finding it...?).

Why is there any need for the MPE? I understand that it is 8 kg lighter (or something like that). And it definitely looks better. If that is the motivation, then OK, I understand.

I don't understand why there should be any sound difference. I have not seen a good A/B comparison where only the exhaust is changed (i.e., cats left alone).

When the bypass valves open up, isn't the exhaust essentially straight-through? In that case, the exhaust wouldn't make any difference. True?

Looking at the bottom picture I photoshopped, I'M GUESSING that little bit of pipe going through the muffler is what makes it sound so shitty? So if you capped the piping off like I photoshopped maybe it will sound different/better?

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #13
maxd23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mk 7.5 GTI Audi R8

Quote:

I can only suspect that your post received a sarcastic response because the MPE is discussed to death on these forums. Just search.

I'll summarize: it's expensive, sounds great, and you can re-sell it for a good price when you're done with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #14
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
You are late already per Brady.

@Brady1984 it was priceless, actually laughed my ass off, ty!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 11:16 PM   #15
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

There are 3 different elements that make the MPE sound different. First, the MPE replaces the mid resonator with an H-pipe. Second the entire rear section is made of Titanium which has different acoustic resonance than stainless steel. Third, in by-pass mode (valves open), there is very little sound attenuation (almost none) on the MPE (the stock exhaust still has a silencer section in by-pass mode, see picture 3 posts above).
Attached Images

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-30-2014 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #16
Brady1984
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

TY everyone. Now I will (hopefully) help answer the OPs question. MPE is expensive, looks cool, and is louder. Does it make the car sound good? No, car still sounds like shit but who cares; does it make more power? No but it is expensive, looks cool and is louder. If you have 8K and would like to have an exhaust that is expensive, looks cool and is louder BMW's accounting department would like to have a word with you.
      11-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #17
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 11:28 PM   #18
Ross61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 GTO (soon to be an M4)

My one question, and without sounding too ignit, does the MPE add HP or TQ?

Me personally, if it doesn't do either, and doesn't subtract from them, I would want the car quieter (think sleeper).

Now if the $2,500 fancy schmancy titanium tipped, 2x2 carbon fiber does nothing but remove 10 lbs of weight from the ass (equivalent of adding about 4 rwhp?), then it ain't my worth a round of Pappy Van Winkle.

Last edited by Ross61; 12-01-2014 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: editorial
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 11:29 PM   #19
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
TY everyone. Now I will (hopefully) help answer the OPs question. MPE is expensive, looks cool, and is louder. Does it make the car sound good? No, car still sounds like shit but who cares; does it make more power? No but it is expensive, looks cool and is louder. If you have 8K and would like to have an exhaust that is expensive, looks cool and is louder BMW's accounting department would like to have a word with you.
Your wisdom is being wasted here my friend.
      12-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #20
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Why is the MPE this generation so expensive? At least with the prior, it was made of an exotic alloy (Inconel, which made for a completely unique sound) that other manufacturers (e.g. Eisenmann) also offered comparable units for $7,500+, so the MPE was a bargain for what you got…not really seeing the price/value relationship in this case. Is it because of the valves that add all the cost or is BMW just trying to increase margins?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 12:41 AM   #21
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3
Why is the MPE this generation so expensive? At least with the prior, it was made of an exotic alloy (Inconel, which made for a completely unique sound) that other manufacturers (e.g. Eisenmann) also offered comparable units for $7,500+, so the MPE was a bargain for what you got…not really seeing the price/value relationship in this case. Is it because of the valves that add all the cost or is BMW just trying to increase margins?
Margins, look at what they charge just for tips...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 01:39 AM   #22
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
This is joke...but on the other hand...so true.
Appreciate 0