GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Exclamation Eisenmann Exhaust Review (pics added!)

I wanted to put together a little review for all of you who are interested in purchasing the Eisenmann Exhaust or any after market exhaust to replace your current stock set up. I went with the Resonated mid pipe and axle back mufflers. No downpipes at this time. Also have ESS tune (I will make a review post on that as well)

Why I went aftermarket: Ever since I picked up my M4 I have never really loved the sound of the exhaust. I am coming from 5 previous e92M3's all of which had Akrapovic exhaust systems; (axle back, Evolution, and GT4) and I loved all 3 set ups especially the GT4 so I had really high expectations with the new M4. I am a very sound driven person. The sound can make or break the experience for me in a car no matter how fast it is or how well it handles. The M4 was a different sound that I had never experienced before. It was not a bad sound but it was different and I wanted to see what else was out there to be honest. I know its not a v8 but still I wanted to explore my options.

Why Eisenmann Exhaust : This was the first time I took a leap of faith and purchased a exhaust system without hearing it in person. I have always made a trek to seek out someone who had the system I was interested in to hear it first. I am always very cautious before I buy. With the M4 there was no one who had anything near me that I could hear so I was kinda of stuck. I listened to a few vids but we all know those don't do any real justice to any sound. So I shot my long time friend Jesal@iND a call and asked him if he had heard any of the exhaust and what he thought. He said they had just got the Eisenmann set up on their car and it was really raw and sounded great. I took his word and ordered the system. I was really nervous but excited at the same time. I had always gone with Akrapovic products in the past as it is well documented but I wanted to try a different route this time around. I always loved the sound of the Eisenmann on other BMW models so I figured it would be a nice time to try their products out.

Why I chose the Black Series: Simple, my car is black and I wanted it to blend in as much as possible. Plus when I remove it the black wont show the dirt and grime as much.

Install: As soon as I got word my system was complete I immediately got Tom@EAS on the phone to book a install. I have always gone to EAS for all my cars installs and have never been disappointed. EAS is top notch and always delivers great service. These guys are AWESOME! The install was super easy and straight forward no issues what so ever. I would highly recommend them to anyone in the BMW or MB community. The other forum member who was there "deviant" drove all the way from Roseville CA to get his install/etc done at EAS. That just tells you how good they are and how trusted they are amongst us in the BMW community.

First impressions (Quality): The Eisenmann was very well manufactured. The canisters, welds, tubing, and overall craftsmanship were def top notch. I inspected it over and over and could not find any flaws in the quality. A very nice product indeed. I was very impressed

First impressions (Sound-start up): So the time had come its installed and lets fire it up. The car had been sitting a little while after the install bc I had left to go do some shopping and eat lunch so EAS had held off starting it up till I got back. The first time I heard it, the motor was cold so it def would replicate my morning cold start process. The first thing I noticed was the volume was def louder then stock but not crazy over the top loud. The sound is a little "tiny" tin can sounding at the intial start up. Its like this in stock set up as well but with this set up its a little more pronounced. The sound quickly goes away and leaves a deep rumbling burping crackling sound. The car always starts in efficient so the flaps are closed at this time. I like it, I knew I had made a great choice in trusting Jesal@iND and was very happy so far with the set up.

Active Sound: quickly wanted to mention I drove the car with and without AS and I really could not tell a for sure difference but I chose to code it off. Over time I have def noticed the cabin has gotten quieter and the exhaust note sounds better, but then again I can't tell you with 100% confidence I noticed a overall change to justify doing it or not doing it. Sorry

First impression (Driving): Right off the bat when you drive at low speeds you can hear a night and day difference over stock. The exhaust is a lot deeper and every time you let off the gas you get to hear the cracks/pop, burps, and bubbling sound of the exhaust. It was a completely different sound then I had experienced before in any car but I really liked it. The best way I can describe it is very raw and mean. From the outside listening to the car drive by the sounds is a lot more aggressive then stock. It def will make peoples heads turn when you drive by.

Hard acceleration impression: Ok here is where this system shines. The set up produces a super aggressive raw sound under load which is AWESOME! It sounds so good. Its def a LOT louder then stock under full load with valves open. You will hear it from a good distance away. Def will make you smile

Conclusion: I have driven the car around all weekend. I drove back from EAS which was 4 hours and most of that was in stop and go traffic. I never encountered any droning whatsoever and was very comfortable the whole time. I also did a lot of spirited driving around my area which was awesome. I took the wife out in the car and she approved. She use to complain a lot with my previous set ups that they were to loud and with this set up in efficient mode she had no complaints. All in all I would highly recommend this system to anyone who is looking for a different set up over their stock system.

Is it going to wake up my whole neighborhood when I start it up?: Their are two types of people out there IMO. There is the person who could careless if they wake the neighborhood up when they start their car and there is the person who is worried about waking everyone up. I can tell you on cold start this system (mufflers and resonated mid pipe) is borderline with swaying towards acceptable. Its louder then stock at start up but only for about 10 sec and then it quiets down a lot. Unless you are revving the crap out of it you should be fine. The DP version and the akra DP version ( I heard both) is a LOT louder in every way.

If you have any question please feel free to ask and I will answer them as best as possible. EAS took a ton of pics and vid which I will add to this thread as soon as I get them this afternoon.

Thank you again Jesal@iND and of course Tom@EAS you guys are awesome!

**Mod at your own risk

COLD START (taken by friend iPhone so take sound with grain of salt obv)

Here is a Vid and Dyno of my current set up with ESS Piggy

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!

Last edited by GOLFFRR; 12-22-2014 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 6
      12-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5M

nice review glad that you are happy with the new exhaust! Driving back with the old exhaust was fine?
      12-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasAT View Post
nice review glad that you are happy with the new exhaust! Driving back with the old exhaust was fine?
Thanks! I am very happy with the set up.

Unfortunately there was no way we could fit the stock exhaust in either my M4 or the other M3 that was there. The exhaust full length was just over 11' and that was to much to fit in the car. We tried it several ways and could not get it to fit. Not sure how you were able to do it?

End of the day I have to drive back to EAS in the next couple weeks and pic it up in a larger vehicle. The other forum member that came from Roseville CA which is a lot farther away then me had to resort to cutting it in half to fit it in his car.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Unfortunately there was no way we could fit the stock exhaust in either my M4 or the other M3 that was there. The exhaust full length was just over 11' and that was to much to fit in the car. We tried it several ways and could not get it to fit. Not sure how you were able to do it?

End of the day I have to drive back to EAS in the next couple weeks and pic it up in a larger vehicle. The other forum member that came from Roseville CA which is a lot farther away then me had to resort to cutting it in half to fit it in his car.
When MPE is installed, which if IIRC is what @LukasAT has, the stock exhaust is cut to leave the secondary cats on the vehicle, so the remaining stock exhaust is shorter than full length and does fit inside the car.

BTW, nice review of the Eisenmann. Glad you like it. The F8X really benefits from an aftermaket exhaust IMO

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-15-2014 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #5
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3

Fortunately i was able to fit the rear section in my car lol. thanks for the review!
I may be wrong but if the center pipe is non-resonated , is it gonna be louder since the resonator is removed?(for example on MPE it was removed, but secondary cats are still there), or is it gonna be more raspy i guess?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
When MPE is installed, which if IIRC is what @LukasAT has, the stock exhaust is cut to leave the secondary cats on the vehicle, so the remaining stock exhaust is shorter than full length and does fit inside the car.

BTW, nice review of the Eisenmann. Glad you like it. The F8X really benefits from an aftermaket exhaust IMO
@CanAutM3, just want to know ur opinion on the start up and efficient mode of the MPE, i had the eisenmann rear section installed and the start up sound was noticeably louder, but under efficient mode the car sounds pretty much same with stock. Does the MPE sound a lot louder during start up and under efficient mode when valve's closed?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
CanAutM3, just want to know ur opinion on the start up and efficient mode of the MPE, i had the eisenmann rear section installed and the start up sound was noticeably louder, but under efficient mode the car sounds pretty much same with stock. Does the MPE sound a lot louder during start up and under efficient mode when valve's closed?
Yes, the MPE is much louder than stock on start-up, but in a nice way, it is not obnoxiusly loud. It then settles in a deep idle. With the valves closed in Efficient mode it is nice and quiet, not much louder than stock, but with a deeper tone and a nice growl that is true BMW I6. When the valves open, it is much louder than stock with a very raw sound.

I have not heard the Eisenmann in person on an F8X, so I cannot compare. But I do know Eisenmann makes great products from the ones I heard on other models.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:

ahhhh now that makes sense. It was funny bc I was getting frustrated when talking to the guys at EAS bc they were telling me it wont fit they kept saying there is no way, and I was saying I'm telling you it has been done!! lol. I am going to call them first thing and admit I was wrong this morning.

I totally agree with you, aftermarket def improves the sound over the stock system. The good thing is we have a lot of great options available now!!

Quote:
Fortunately i was able to fit the rear section in my car lol. thanks for the review!
I may be wrong but if the center pipe is non-resonated , is it gonna be louder since the resonator is removed?(for example on MPE it was removed, but secondary cats are still there), or is it gonna be more raspy i guess?
Yea the rear fits nicely in the trunk with the seats down . I am looking forward to reading your review! My center pipe is resonated, I did not opt for the non resonated set up bc it would have been way to raspy for my taste.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the MPE is much louder than stock on start-up, but in a nice way, it is not obnoxiusly loud. It then settles in a deep idle. With the valves closed in Efficient mode it is nice and quiet, not much louder than stock, but with a deeper tone and a nice growl that is true BMW I6. When the valves open, it is much louder than stock with a very raw sound.

I have not heard the Eisenmann in person on an F8X, so I cannot compare. But I do know Eisenmann makes great products from the ones I heard on other models.
Thanks for the input! I was considering MPE previously but went for eisenmann since i liked the hidden canister design and the larger tips. I know MPE deletes the resonator which makes the sound more raspy i think? I may look into removing the resonator but obtaining the secondary cats if possible for a more aggressive sound, but not sure how to do that. Maybe i need to have a custom made link pipe .
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ahhhh now that makes sense. It was funny bc I was getting frustrated when talking to the guys at EAS bc they were telling me it wont fit they kept saying there is no way, and I was saying I'm telling you it has been done!! lol. I am going to call them first thing and admit I was wrong this morning.

I totally agree with you, aftermarket def improves the sound over the stock system. The good thing is we have a lot of great options available now!!

Yea the rear fits nicely in the trunk with the seats down . I am looking forward to reading your review! My center pipe is resonated, I did not opt for the non resonated set up bc it would have been way to raspy for my taste.
I'm thinking about getting rid of the resonator like what MPE does to give it a more pronounced tone for the eisenmann rear instead of going for the full center pipe. I may need to talk to IND and see what they think about it
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting rid of the resonator like what MPE does to give it a more pronounced tone for the eisenmann rear instead of going for the full center pipe. I may need to talk to IND and see what they think about it
Do you have to cut the exhaust if you install it with the stock centerpipe? thats one of the reason why I opted to get the the Eisenmann center pipe bc it was just bolt on no cutting of my stock exhaust

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you have to cut the exhaust if you install it with the stock centerpipe? thats one of the reason why I opted to get the the Eisenmann center pipe bc it was just bolt on no cutting of my stock exhaust
For the rear section yes it has to be cut , to remove the resonator i think it definitely has to be cut again. The reason i don't want to go for full center pipe is that i'm afraid it will be too loud.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #13
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Sounds good!

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #14
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
For the rear section yes it has to be cut , to remove the resonator i think it definitely has to be cut again. The reason i don't want to go for full center pipe is that i'm afraid it will be too loud.
for what its worth we measured the decibel levels of stock valves open and Eisenmann valves closed they were the same roughly. So basically its the same volume as stock when the Eisenmann valves are closed. But when you want to let loose open the valves and the decibel on the Eisenmann went up 10-14 over stock. Best bet would be to try and listen to someone who has it and then go from there. IMO I think you will be fine with the mid pipe addition, DPs however in your case I would stay clear of bc that set up like I stated is a lot louder

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #15
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5M

Quote:
ooh yes that makes really sense. sorry for the misunderstanding.
      12-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #16
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasAT View Post
ooh yes that makes really sense. sorry for the misunderstanding.
all good well at least now we know

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #17
LwaLt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EVOX,M4,X2, Model X, Model 3P+

nice review! very interested in getting one of these myself. does it drone at all?

Quote:
for what its worth we measured the decibel levels of stock valves open and Eisenmann valves closed they were the same roughly. So basically its the same volume as stock when the Eisenmann valves are closed. But when you want to let loose open the valves and the decibel on the Eisenmann went up 10-14 over stock. Best bet would be to try and listen to someone who has it and then go from there. IMO I think you will be fine with the mid pipe addition, DPs however in your case I would stay clear of bc that set up like I stated is a lot louder
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #18
GOLFFRR
Rep

Pics added!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwaLt View Post
nice review! very interested in getting one of these myself. does it drone at all?
No drone whatsoever. I drove it at all the RPM range at various speeds this weekend and was not able to produce any drone which was a nice perk

Appreciate 1
      12-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #19
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Pics added!
Wow, that exhaust is just gorgeous . Really nice how you don't see the canister from the back.

The car is a pleasure to look at too
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #20
classic6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB/BB E90 M3

Congrats!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #21
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that exhaust is just gorgeous . Really nice how you don't see the canister from the back.

The car is a pleasure to look at too
thank you so much, Much appreciate your kind words. I was very impressed with the final product it looked so mean! I loved it, I think its safe to say I am done modding this car for now well till after xmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic6 View Post
Congrats!!!
thanks Eric appreciate you always answering all my question on the system, hope your enjoying your and happy holidays

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #22
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:
Pics added!
Very nice, congrats!

I agree it is one of the best looking exhausts - I didn't go with the Black series this time - the pic from the bottom on the car on the lift is amazing!

To me the sound on WOT is amazing!

Perhaps I can get some videos done this week.....
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 1