Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

03-27-2024, 12:44 AM   #1
Giosoz_beamer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Purchasing M4 - Need Advice please

I am currently in the works of buying a used 2016 BMW M4 with 33k miles from a dealership. Dealership is out of state so I did a Pre-Purchase Inspection from a BMW Dealership.

The technician told me everything look great aside from one thing. He noticed oil starting to leak on the oil pan and advised that it was a “ nothing crazy at the moment but it’s starting to leak and wanted to bring this to my attention”. How serious is something like this?

On the reccomended services section of the evaluation he mentioned “ replace oil pan gasket (found engine leak) - Status as CAUTION.

Is this something I should be seriously worried about? Should I walk from this deal despite how much I love the car because of this? He told me on a scale of 1-10 he said it’s a 1 and it’s just starting. I don’t want to fall into issues right after purchasing the vehicle. Any advice with this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 09:09 AM   #2
mindgame3713
Rep
Drives: F80/E90

Not a mechanic and have not experienced the issue myself with an f8X but my guess is it would be a slow leak for a while but something you would want to do eventually. Oil pan gasket is an issue I have heard others deal with on the platform so its not surprising.

I did have issues with the drain plug on my car and considered replacing the pan. It requires dropping the entire front subframe and will likely cost 3-5k or potentially more at a dealership from what I was quoted.

If the rest of the car is clean and its a good deal I would probably send it but I like to live dangerously. Hope that helps!
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2024, 04:41 PM   #3
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
couple questions:
sounds like the dealer that has the car is not a BMW dealer but the inspection was done by a BMW dealer, yes?
what state? how did you select the inspecting dealer?
first BMW?
are you able to tell if the car was leased, number of owners and so forth? (carfax?)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 10:56 PM   #4
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giosoz_beamer View Post
I am currently in the works of buying a used 2016 BMW M4 with 33k miles from a dealership. Dealership is out of state so I did a Pre-Purchase Inspection from a BMW Dealership.

The technician told me everything look great aside from one thing. He noticed oil starting to leak on the oil pan and advised that it was a “ nothing crazy at the moment but it’s starting to leak and wanted to bring this to my attention”. How serious is something like this?

On the reccomended services section of the evaluation he mentioned “ replace oil pan gasket (found engine leak) - Status as CAUTION.

Is this something I should be seriously worried about? Should I walk from this deal despite how much I love the car because of this? He told me on a scale of 1-10 he said it’s a 1 and it’s just starting. I don’t want to fall into issues right after purchasing the vehicle. Any advice with this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
you should request engine compression test
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 09:08 AM   #5
DN01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Giosoz_beamer

I’m currently selling my Mineral White m4 with 38k miles if your interested. Car also has crankhub job done to it and I’m located in Long Island,NY if you would like to see the car in person.
Appreciate 0