Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kueks29 View Post
Since BMW will now go different ways.
In future, the M3ein utterly uncompromising sports machine! Those who want more comfort and more auto business, the resort must then hold for M335i (or M340i).
Sounds good to me. While the use of M on the M sport cars may dilute the brand, if it allows for more perfomance of the real M cars I am OK with spreading the M around a bit.

As for V6 vs. I6, as long as the primary goal is maximizing performance, I don't think it matters. In some ways, I like the V6 as the smaller cousin of the M5 S63 turbo V8. As DANMACINSD says, it follows the trend of the current gen e90 M3 V8 and last gen E60 M5 V10. Heck, BMW didn't use an I6 with the e90 and I don't see many complaints about the S65.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #24
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kueks29 View Post
You're absolutely right!
It was derived from a 3.3 liter V6 from S63TÜ (from the M5). The power is normally located at 450 HP. The M Drivers Package (Vmax 280 km / h) will be supplemented in future by the Performance package. The latter will then make 480 horsepower and a V-Max allows 300 km / h.
Even when weight was done properly and so currently 1415 Kg seem quite realistic!

Background of the whole thing is quite simple:
When more current M3 (E90) one half of the customers has bewschwert that he was too little and too much sports car business car. The other half of the customers saw it the other way around.

Since BMW will now go different ways.
In future, the M3ein utterly uncompromising sports machine! Those who want more comfort and more auto business, the resort must then hold for M335i (or M340i).
I have no doubt that the F8X is going to be plenty powerful, but it will not sacrifice comfort and luxury at all (unfortunately). BMW's Scott26 reiterated this (unfortunate) philosophy below:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...4#post11370884
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #25
kueks29
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

@bernstem
"Better 1.000 Kg than 1.000 PS" is the strategie
The V6 has many benefits!
Whether the weight, or the cost of production or for pedestrian protection!
If we are to believe the rumors, so that a true super sports car comes towards us ....

What the S65 is concerned, there is hardly anything negative, I have my own one and has reeled off easily in the last 3 years, 100,000 km!
The only drawback is the high consumption and to the small fuel tank.
The next M3 is also different! Supposedly the engineers for the first time without a fuel stop from Garching to be moved to the Nürburgring.

@aajami
Scott26 has in recent years, predicted many things right. But he also stood next to a couple of times.
But this is certainly not the fault of Scott26.

In the M-GmbH created a lot of models and engines, and BMW has introduced a new strategy for the security. Showing the meantime effect. So it is always difficult to get reliable information.
This is, of course, experienced positive for BMW, waiting for us fans out there, but an absolute disaster.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #26
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I have no doubt that the F8X is going to be plenty powerful, but it will not sacrifice comfort and luxury at all (unfortunately). BMW's Scott26 reiterated this (unfortunate) philosophy below:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...4#post11370884
I actually don't want the M3 to be a stripped down, lightweight sports car. There are plenty of those out there (Lotus anyone?). I like all the luxury features like the heated steering wheel, heated seats, smart phone integration and voice control. I like a nice sound system. For the most part they don't add terribly much weight. What interests me, is if BMW can push the performance of the M3 even more by introducing the M-performance models. I think we are seeing this with what likely carbon composite components. That is a win. Save the stripped down, lightweight, no comfort feature car for limited edition versions. If I want a street legal race car, that isn't an M3 (at least for over 25 years). Leave the M3 as the track car you can take your grandmother to dinner in.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #27
Prazision
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi Wagon

I spoke to one of the techs in NJ, has a pre-order for #2 next gen M3. According to him he says it will be single turbo i6. Just some food for though.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #28
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prazision
I spoke to one of the techs in NJ, has a pre-order for #2 next gen M3. According to him he says it will be single turbo i6. Just some food for though.
Where's the rolling eye emoticon on the Bimmerpost iPhone app?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #29
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

I'm callin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prazision View Post

03-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #30
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

If it has the electrically driven turbo, it probably doesn't matter it there are one or two of them in there. It will spool up crazy fast. Will be interesting to drive.
Appreciate 0