European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #45
MPerformance211
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 981 Boxster S; 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by F83 View Post
911, I get it. To each their own. To me it's pointless comparing a M4 to a 911. One is a 2 seater German sports car and the other is a 4 seater German muscle car. End of story.

The thing I didn't like in the vid is; hey if you get a bright color you must be having a mid life crisis. Sheesh that gets old.

I had brightly colored performance cars in my 20s and you get the "dad must have paid for it". In my 30s its "why are you driving that as a family man?" Now in my forties its "mid life crisis". I suppose in your 60s its "confused old guy driving his sons car".

I have a different motto. Drive what you want.
I agree 100% here. Just saw a column on the internet this past weekend.."Top 4 Midlife Crisis Cars".....they were Corvette, Mustang, 911 and Viper. The first thing I said was "Jesus Christ, does this ever end?" Then on top of the "midlife crisis" thing...you get further segmented.

Vette = you are a bald(ing) male with shitty taste in clothing, drench yourself in Aqua Velva, wear gold chains and have shirt unbuttoned with hairy chest.

Mustang = you are either a zit faced 18-25 year old redneck or a 40-60 year old dude that can't afford a Vette

911 = you are a Dentist, Doctor or some elitist prick that looks down their nose at the great unwashed; only drives a Porsche because he can't afford a Ferrari.

Viper = you are a meathead with a little dick wearing an Affliction or TapOut T-shirt

Best solution is to drive what the hell you like and don't give a shit about what others think of what you drive. I have honestly never cared one damn bit of what anyone else thought of the cars I have owned....and I heard all of the above before. If you are that concerned about what others think, drive a Honda.

Having said that, there are those that probably deserve some of the criticism they get. The moment you start thinking any of the following thoughts, I (and many others) probably won't like you anyway.

"Is my car different enough from the neighbors?"
"Will I get the head turns in this car?"
"Will the valet park my car up front?"
"Will the members at the Club like my car?"
"How much ass will I pull in this car?"
Appreciate 6
JTO245274.50
      07-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #46
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPerformance211
Quote:
911, I get it. To each their own. To me it's pointless comparing a M4 to a 911. One is a 2 seater German sports car and the other is a 4 seater German muscle car. End of story.

The thing I didn't like in the vid is; hey if you get a bright color you must be having a mid life crisis. Sheesh that gets old.

I had brightly colored performance cars in my 20s and you get the "dad must have paid for it". In my 30s its "why are you driving that as a family man?" Now in my forties its "mid life crisis". I suppose in your 60s its "confused old guy driving his sons car".

I have a different motto. Drive what you want.
I agree 100% here. Just saw a column on the internet this past weekend.."Top 4 Midlife Crisis Cars".....they were Corvette, Mustang, 911 and Viper. The first thing I said was "Jesus Christ, does this ever end?" Then on top of the "midlife crisis" thing...you get further segmented.

Vette = you are a bald(ing) male with shitty taste in clothing, drench yourself in Aqua Velva, wear gold chains and have shirt unbuttoned with hairy chest.

Mustang = you are either a zit faced 18-25 year old redneck or a 40-60 year old dude that can't afford a Vette

911 = you are a Dentist, Doctor or some elitist prick that looks down their nose at the great unwashed; only drives a Porsche because he can't afford a Ferrari.

Viper = you are a meathead with a little dick wearing an Affliction or TapOut T-shirt

Best solution is to drive what the hell you like and don't give a shit about what others think of what you drive. I have honestly never cared one damn bit of what anyone else thought of the cars I have owned....and I heard all of the above before. If you are that concerned about what others think, drive a Honda.

Having said that, there are those that probably deserve some of the criticism they get. The moment you start thinking any of the following thoughts, I (and many others) probably won't like you anyway.

"Is my car different enough from the neighbors?"
"Will I get the head turns in this car?"
"Will the valet park my car up front?"
"Will the members at the Club like my car?"
"How much ass will I pull in this car?"
Your Vette comment made me
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #47
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

I personally really like his videos. I think he has a enjoyable personality and seems like an all around down to earth guy to get along with. Totally off topic but I was surprised how attractive his wife was lol, good for you Nick.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #48
m3rxn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: boosted Inline 6's

Good for Nick. Looking foward to his 991.2 4S vids.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 06:45 AM   #49
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger Kim
I personally really like his videos. I think he has a enjoyable personality and seems like an all around down to earth guy to get along with. Totally off topic but I was surprised how attractive his wife was lol, good for you Nick.
Agree but I will say this... I've seen his videos and though I'm sure he took care of his M4 I'm not sure I would buy it. Sometimes it's best to not know ALL the details of a former owner's shenanigans.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #50
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 Turbo/F82 M4/'06 Saleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
This guy has always loved 911s so it's no surprise he's going back.
As a 991.1S with a 140k sticker owner what I have in performance, handling and quality are well worth the difference in price over what a similar specced m4 would be. My car is as nice or nicer than any other sports or exotic I've been in or owned. Even a several good friend who owns many Porsches and many exotics feels the same.
All depends on what you value. If you just want performance and don't care about the refined and perfected details, a z06, viper or GTR will serve just fine. For those who truly want the penultimate and pinnacle of engineering in every sense, Porsche, Ferrari and a few others give you just that.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #51
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Says he's going to pass on rear axle steering because you can get a real nice hooker for $2k.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #52
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

Quote:
Agree but I will say this... I've seen his videos and though I'm sure he took care of his M4 I'm not sure I would buy it. Sometimes it's best to not know ALL the details of a former owner's shenanigans.
These cars are meant to be driven hard so I have no problem with that. I do remember him demonstrating the BMW precaution feature of how you can't get to the redline when the engines cold. I cringed when he tried (it's probably ok since BMW set the limiter). I generally drive like a huge pansy until the engine +all the fluids are 100% at optimal temperature.

My car is a lease, I don't know why I baby it so much lol
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #53
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
The videos are interesting but go on and on sometimes. He edits them decently otherwise I would have over a dozen takes.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:55 PM   #54
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

I don't get this Porsche infatuation... I have one and my best friend has a 991s and They really don't impress me. They are nice and have Great fit and finish but they are grossly overpriced. The m4 puts a huge grin on my face whenever I drive it.. I've driven numerous 911.1s trying to convince myself to trade up now that my m4 is paid off... But I love my m4 too much .
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 07:29 AM   #55
m4282
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue M4 w/Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLOimJ
I don't get this Porsche infatuation... I have one and my best friend has a 991s and They really don't impress me. They are nice and have Great fit and finish but they are grossly overpriced. The m4 puts a huge grin on my face whenever I drive it.. I've driven numerous 911.1s trying to convince myself to trade up now that my m4 is paid off... But I love my m4 too much .
They are well balanced and probably a "few" tenths to a couple of seconds faster in the track. The confidence is addicting but..... I agree I "feel" that grin each time with the M4 so agree on the why trade "up" comment. I had a Porsche as well and while it drove beautifully with perfect balance the rawness wasn't there that made you smile. To get a raw Porsche is to get a track one and for that much money not many can have just a "track"toy
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #56
MPerformance211
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 981 Boxster S; 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLOimJ View Post
Not going to bash the M as I think it is a wonderful car.....and THE best in its price range for dual purpose duties (i.e. performance daily driver) but I can say unequivocally that the 981 Boxster S that I just picked up has already put more smiles on my face in 10 days than my former M4 did in the year that I owned it. Perhaps the 911's have been GT'd down to the point where they are losing their "fun" to some but the manual NA 981S is so much more a driver's car than my M4...... albeit slower in straight line and roll racing.

Just goes to show us that what puts a smile on one's face may not be what puts a smile on another's. I, personally, get very little enjoyment out of straightline and roll racing. I much prefer a back road jaunt or canyon run. I also prefer to drive a slower car fast than I do a faster car slow.
Appreciate 1
JTO245274.50
      08-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #57
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPerformance211 View Post
Not going to bash the M as I think it is a wonderful car.....and THE best in its price range for dual purpose duties (i.e. performance daily driver) but I can say unequivocally that the 981 Boxster S that I just picked up has already put more smiles on my face in 10 days than my former M4 did in the year that I owned it. Perhaps the 911's have been GT'd down to the point where they are losing their "fun" to some but the manual NA 981S is so much more a driver's car than my M4...... albeit slower in straight line and roll racing.

Just goes to show us that what puts a smile on one's face may not be what puts a smile on another's. I, personally, get very little enjoyment out of straightline and roll racing. I much prefer a back road jaunt or canyon run. I also prefer to drive a slower car fast than I do a faster car slow.
Yeah, more exciting to drive a slower car faster, i.e. at its limits, rather a fast car slower, in its comfort zone.
      08-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #58
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Yeah, more exciting to drive a slower car faster, i.e. at its limits, rather a fast car slower, in its comfort zone.
Yes

And no.

It's sometimes better to drive a fast car outside of your comfort zone with the proper training.....because I like the challenge and skill it takes to keep the hyper-animal M4 on the track. If you take a high performance driving seminar, you'd appreciate the M that much more.

Slower and at the limit is fun, but so is fast at 7/10, trying to reach 8 or 9/10.

Love the Miata, but only in the extreme twisties (and these kinds of roads are rare). But it doesn't beat the thrill of the M on a country road, blasting down the straightaways, and then hanging on around the apexes, pushing the M to the limit of adhesion.

It's all good, to each his own....
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #59
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Yes

And no.

It's sometimes better to drive a fast car outside of your comfort zone with the proper training.....because I like the challenge and skill it takes to keep the hyper-animal M4 on the track. If you take a high performance driving seminar, you'd appreciate the M that much more.

Slower and at the limit is fun, but so is fast at 7/10, trying to reach 8 or 9/10.

Love the Miata, but only in the extreme twisties (and these kinds of roads are rare). But it doesn't beat the thrill of the M on a country road, blasting down the straightaways, and then hanging on around the apexes, pushing the M to the limit of adhesion.

It actually worked in reverse for me. I went to M school last April and it helped push me to look at other cars and brands. Unfortunately I got there just before they started running the M2s. It would of been nice to drive that or a comp pack M3/4 to compare against my previous 15 M4. Oh well, might have to go back next year!

Like you, I do highly recommend going to M school (or any high performance driving school). It was extremely well done and I learned a lot. Not to mention I had a ton of fun. The people are what make anything great, the instructors were top notch and were willing to talk about anything driving/car related.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 02:35 PM   #60
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Yes

And no.

Makes sense but...
Unfortunately, many of us never do get that professional guidance we should have to take full advantage of M cars, I for one am guilty of such, but hope to someday soon get some track training. But as for on the streets, luckily I'm too chicken shit to push my f80 to its limits, I tend to save that for the wife's KIA, where it makes me feel like a real "Jonny Racer", not!
      08-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #61
Acree
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
not care what 40yr old virgin does lol. besides, youtube videos will buy it for him, and other than entertainment, I won't get any useful information from the video. watching someone blabber about their bone stock M4 was highly boring, entertaining but useless.

thanks for the heads up though.(not really - as I think there's already a thread)
Savage.

Past
03 MB E55 AMG, 16 Grigio Medio F80 M3, 11 E92 M3, 13 BRZ, 06 Evo IX, 05 350Z
Appreciate 1
domino_z1239.50
      10-03-2016, 09:26 PM   #62
997usa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4 - Silverstone

i recently sold my F83 M4 (and previously had an F10 M5 and an F01 740, as well as an E36 & E4) - and got the 991.2 Turbo (as in Turbo Turbo) - an amazing car. Its my 4th 911 as I have been going back between 911's and M's (besides some other 'exotics'). The 911 Turbo is one of the best cars i have had. Yes, its different than an M3 / M4 / M5 and each have their benefits & short comings. Different car, different experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 11:22 PM   #63
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

i enjoy his videos a lot, i'll always watch his car videos as they pop up

but the gorilla soft toy obsession is getting old and creepy..... don't get me wrong, i don't mean it in a tales of the crypt kind of creep, but grandad licking a lollipop before giving it to a teenager kind of creepy
Appreciate 1
JTO245274.50
      10-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #64
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

He needs to get his Porsche already, his most recent videos are boring the shit out of me!
      10-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #65
Bucki14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT | Novitec Ferrari FF

Less is more my ass either Porsche Gt car (or turbo (s) )or none at all. I've driven non gt 911s and ill pass on it everyday

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/boostedtrav_/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/boostedtrav
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 07:58 PM   #66
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4282 View Post
They are well balanced and probably a "few" tenths to a couple of seconds faster in the track. The confidence is addicting but..... I agree I "feel" that grin each time with the M4 so agree on the why trade "up" comment. I had a Porsche as well and while it drove beautifully with perfect balance the rawness wasn't there that made you smile. To get a raw Porsche is to get a track one and for that much money not many can have just a "track"toy
Even the 2012 991 S is a much faster car on the track. It's a good 1-2 seconds faster on most 1-2 min laps and if you look at the new 991.2, the S model on a street tire is faster than the m4 GTS on cup tires. That says it all. Essentially an entry level 911 (a GT car too) on pilot super sports is faster in a straight and faster on track than the most expensive and most track oriented bmw ever made. Forget anything like a GT3/RS because the RS was almost 6 seconds per lap faster than the GTS at laguna seca. And on top of that, the 991.2 S in best driver's car placed 3rd while the M4 GTS placed 11th out of 12 cars. The 911 is just a better driver's car and IMO is a few notches above in any aspect.
Appreciate 0