EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #67
ilya335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
Lol, you and I are on completely different ends of the spectrum when it comes to what is important in a car. I don't even program my seat memory . . . and could give a shyte less about mute or key programing having different radio pre-sets. What is the world come to when it is too difficult to switch stations and why in the world is mute when turning car and off? Never tried or even thought of trying any of the above on any of my Porsches ever.
The radio plays every time you start the car even if you turned it off the last time. It's simply annoying.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #68
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya335 View Post
Quote:
Lol, you and I are on completely different ends of the spectrum when it comes to what is important in a car. I don't even program my seat memory . . . and could give a shyte less about mute or key programing having different radio pre-sets. What is the world come to when it is too difficult to switch stations and why in the world is mute when turning car and off? Never tried or even thought of trying any of the above on any of my Porsches ever.
The radio plays every time you start the car even if you turned it off the last time. It's simply annoying.
Just out of curiosity. Can Porsche's be coded? Can that get coded?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #69
Mikecom32
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 ZCP 6MT, '05 330xi 6MT,

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
My biggest disappointment in Porsche is really the 718. It is probably the best chassis in their history, but it has been stunted by the turbo 4. After hearing the GT4 engine for a long while behind my head, the 718 sound was obviously a big let down.
What about the upcoming 718 GT4? It's rumored to run a detuned GT3 engine based on the sound coming out of it during 'ring testing.

There are rumors of a GT4 RS as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 03:18 PM   #70
mikex25
Major
Rep
Drives: Grey thing

For me it was definitely the next step. I just picked up a 991.2 GTS in manual and it is a completely different feeling compared to my F80.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
minn1914034.50
mnikhil111.00
      07-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #71
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikex25 View Post
For me it was definitely the next step. I just picked up a 991.2 GTS in manual and it is a completely different feeling compared to my F80.
Congrats. I drove my wife's little 997.2 C2 cabriolet all day and I enjoy driving it much more than my F80 ZCP MT. Its not as fast, but it is smooth, low to the ground, feels and drives like a sports car, has incredible steering feel, has plenty on tap and is just an absolute joy to drive.

The 991.2 GTS is a beast. Candidly, the new Porsche Turbo and GTS has more than what is needed for public streets and this is coming from someone who daily drove every itineration of Porsche turbos between 1989 and 2015 including a 94 3.6T and a 993tt S. The base 911s now are plenty quick.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #72
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Congrats. I drove my wife's little 997.2 C2 cabriolet all day and I enjoy driving it much more than my F80 ZCP MT. Its not as fast, but it is smooth, low to the ground, feels and drives like a sports car, has incredible steering feel, has plenty on tap and is just an absolute joy to drive.

The 991.2 GTS is a beast. Candidly, the new Porsche Turbo and GTS has more than what is needed for public streets and this is coming from someone who daily drove every itineration of Porsche turbos between 1989 and 2015 including a 94 3.6T and a 993tt S. The base 911s now are plenty quick.
Thanks and I feel the same about this, the seating position is much lower and you can feel the weight of the rear coming around turns is unmatchable. This car makes me want to keep driving it and I finally understand what all the fuss is about.

I'm still in the break in phase so I haven't pushed it yet but so far it feels good. The exhaust sounds much better than my F80 with tons of burbles and pops.

I agree with new 991.2 base is much improved and I hear is a lot more fun on the streets due to the new torque. I was going back a forth between a base and an S but finally settled on this GTS.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
omnupe9.50
      07-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #73
whoaitswee
Rep
Drives: 2009 911 C4S

I had an E46 M3 for 5 years with a few cars in between before moving into a 997.2 C4S.. after 4 years I recently sold and looking for an 15+ M3. The Porsche was a fun weekend car but I didn't necessarily feel as comfortable daily driving even if I wanted to. Even with a daily if it ever needed work done my kids wouldn't fit comfortably in the Porsche. It was out of warranty to any small maintenance was not cheap. The PDK is fun, car sits low, and handles like a dream. But I wanted to move into something that performs and could fit a family of 4 if needed. If I went back to Porsche I'd go turbo but I don't want to cough up that type of money as I'd want a 991.

The two cars are hard to compare cause the have pros and cons and fun in their own way.

I have an FJ Cruiser as a daily.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 07:58 AM   #74
Mike991M4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

I just enjoy having both
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #75
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaitswee View Post
I had an E46 M3 for 5 years with a few cars in between before moving into a 997.2 C4S.. after 4 years I recently sold and looking for an 15+ M3. The Porsche was a fun weekend car but I didn't necessarily feel as comfortable daily driving even if I wanted to. Even with a daily if it ever needed work done my kids wouldn't fit comfortably in the Porsche. It was out of warranty to any small maintenance was not cheap. The PDK is fun, car sits low, and handles like a dream. But I wanted to move into something that performs and could fit a family of 4 if needed. If I went back to Porsche I'd go turbo but I don't want to cough up that type of money as I'd want a 991.

The two cars are hard to compare cause the have pros and cons and fun in their own way.

997 was a more raw car. The 991 is far different. It's suspension makes it a far more comfortable car than my M4 and my 99.1S also soaks up bad pavement with much better ability. The M4 always feels like it doesn't know how to deal with anything other than glass smooth pavement.

Mikex25 - congrats! That GTS is gorgeous! And you have an extremely capable car there. The stats that car puts up for only 440 hp is incredible.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #76
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

I was thinking about it today. The problem with P cars is that there is always some balding old dude with half a foot in the grave with zero driving skill driving them.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #77
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
I was thinking about it today. The problem with P cars is that there is always some balding old dude with half a foot in the grave with zero driving skill driving them.
I completely agree, every 911 I seen is with an old guy and I don't plan to go to any P-car or (senior citizens meet) because of this. I myself am 33 so I don't fit that description.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #78
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
Quote:

997 was a more raw car. The 991 is far different. It's suspension makes it a far more comfortable car than my M4 and my 99.1S also soaks up bad pavement with much better ability. The M4 always feels like it doesn't know how to deal with anything other than glass smooth pavement.

Mikex25 - congrats! That GTS is gorgeous! And you have an extremely capable car there. The stats that car puts up for only 440 hp is incredible.
Thank you, after I'm down breaking it in, planning to hit the track to see what it can do.

I always felt 911's were a bit underpowered but with the new turbo engine and spike in torque. It will be a fun car to ring around.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #79
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
I completely agree, every 911 I seen is with an old guy and I don't plan to go to any P-car or (senior citizens meet) because of this. I myself am 33 so I don't fit that description.
you just have to find the club where the owners modify and track. Show and shine with stock old cars and old guys is not my scene either....
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #80
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:
you just have to find the club where the owners modify and track. Show and shine with stock old cars and old guys is not my scene either....
I just got my car so I haven't had a chance to hit up any tracks but I agree cars and coffee crowds are the worst.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 04:24 PM   #81
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Lol, you would pass on a better car even if true?

I would say in general, the guys in PCA have way better car control skills than 95% (except for me) on this board.

I have club raced PCA since the 80s and have been a nationally certified instructor for them since the 90s. I would say generally the age is about 30/40s at track and club events and not any different than other clubs I have instructed for including BMW CCA, PBOC Racing (used to be heavy BMW), Audi, Chin and etc.

A lot of guys that I have raced with outside PCA Club have 911s as daily drivers (vastly more than M cars) even if they don't race Porsches including many of the Ferrari Challenge guys raced with up until a couple of years ago. Lol, don't under estimate us old guys cruising our 911s and thank God I have a full head of hair!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #82
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I just got my car so I haven't had a chance to hit up any tracks but I agree cars and coffee crowds are the worst.
I can gladly say I have never once been to a cars and coffee. Wife has gone a few times, but she is taking a new Rolls, Vanquish, DB11 or special edition Ferraris that her company is trying to sell . . . Definitely all pose at those.
Appreciate 1
mikex25397.00
      07-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #83
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Thank you, after I'm down breaking it in, planning to hit the track to see what it can do.

I always felt 911's were a bit underpowered but with the new turbo engine and spike in torque. It will be a fun car to ring around.
I don't agree with the latter, it's just a matter of how power is delivered and I still love revving out my 991.1S. Surely though, without a doubt the new turbo 911s are stupendously fast and appreciably more so than before but have retained much of the character of the old motor which hardly any manufacturer can say. Running mid 11s and trapping 122/123 for a car that really stil doesn't have all that much power these days is quite something. and the fact that a 911 GTS runs 7:22 on the Ring says a lot. The only true contenders to that are going to be cads sit 600 plus hp or other more powerful 911s and likely a Mclaren or two.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #84
Mike991M4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Quote:
take it to a track event. You will find lots of younger porsche guys, and the older ones are still young at heart.
Appreciate 1
mikex25397.00
      07-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #85
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't agree with the latter, it's just a matter of how power is delivered and I still love revving out my 991.1S. Surely though, without a doubt the new turbo 911s are stupendously fast and appreciably more so than before but have retained much of the character of the old motor which hardly any manufacturer can say. Running mid 11s and trapping 122/123 for a car that really stil doesn't have all that much power these days is quite something. and the fact that a 911 GTS runs 7:22 on the Ring says a lot. The only true contenders to that are going to be cads sit 600 plus hp or other more powerful 911s and likely a Mclaren or two.
You do make a good point, coming from an F80 I am used to the extra torque and the new engines provide that. Having only limited seat time in a 991.1 I think if I was to track it, I am positive I would be more than satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #86
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Thanks and I feel the same about this, the seating position is much lower and you can feel the weight of the rear coming around turns is unmatchable. This car makes me want to keep driving it and I finally understand what all the fuss is about.

I'm still in the break in phase so I haven't pushed it yet but so far it feels good. The exhaust sounds much better than my F80 with tons of burbles and pops.

I agree with new 991.2 base is much improved and I hear is a lot more fun on the streets due to the new torque. I was going back a forth between a base and an S but finally settled on this GTS.
Congrats, they are gorgeous cars!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #87
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:

Congrats, they are gorgeous cars!
Thank you, I am extremely happy with this car.
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      07-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #88
whoaitswee
Rep
Drives: 2009 911 C4S

Quote:
Quote:

I've heard the 991 rides better but haven't been in one. Would definitely want to get back into a Porsche at some point. Ive got the itch for a 4 door and within the price range and performance the M3 is looking good right now.
Appreciate 0