Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #133
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Guy at my work's garage usually drives his 981 S out on to the main street pretty casually everyday.

But today he floored it... I almost forgot how good the NA Porsches can sound, even when it's not a 911.

I miss that sound

The 718 sounds so artificial in comparison. Porsche should just go straight to hybrid in the Cayman/Boxsters. It will sell a lot better than the 718 that's for sure. The current 4 turbo is just a stop gap unfortunately. I wonder how long the NA motor will last for the future GT4/Spyder...

And speaking of changing brands...due to living in Old City, Philly, it got a little difficult driving the GT4 around, so I sold it. However, now I am considering an M3 ZCP as a possibility. So I would be going the opposite direction as well
But that's fine, an M3 would be the perfect car for my current situation anyway.
(There is word that the next major refresh of the C63S sedan will have flared rear fenders. Probably one of my most hated things about the W205 AMG is the absence of an aggressive rear end like the M3. That minor fix may lure me to the dark side ) But I doubt it...

Last edited by csbear; 08-08-2017 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 2
dmboone254972.00
JTO245276.00
      08-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #134
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
Guy at my work's garage usually drives his 981 S out on to the main street pretty casually everyday.

But today he floored it... I almost forgot how good the NA Porsches can sound, even when it's not a 911.

I miss that sound

The 718 sounds so artificial in comparison. Porsche should just go straight to hybrid in the Cayman/Boxsters. It will sell a lot better than the 718 that's for sure. The current 4 turbo is just a stop gap unfortunately. I wonder how long the NA motor will last for the future GT4/Spyder...

And speaking of changing brands...due to living in Old City, Philly, it got a little difficult driving the GT4 around, so I sold it. However, now I am considering an M3 ZCP as a possibility. So I would be going the opposite direction as well
But that's fine, an M3 would be the perfect car for my current situation anyway.
(There is word that the next major refresh of the C63S sedan will have flared rear fenders. Probably one of my most hated things about the W205 AMG is the absence of an aggressive rear end like the M3. That minor fix may lure me to the dark side ) But I doubt it...
I love my Cayman and would DD a GT4 if I had the means to buy one.. but our family is growing (dogs not kids lol) so my fiance is hinting for me to get something with more room. I have a deposit down for an M2 at my local dealer for their next allocation which he said shouldn't be for another few months. It gives me time to think and plan what I want to do.

If the C63 sedan gets flared fenders that would absolutely bump it up past the F80 on my list. I enjoyed my F80 and I'd miss manual but the flared fenders could be enough to sway me to the dark side, too.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
csbear1118.00
      08-09-2017, 09:23 PM   #135
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
I love my Cayman and would DD a GT4 if I had the means to buy one.. but our family is growing (dogs not kids lol) so my fiance is hinting for me to get something with more room. I have a deposit down for an M2 at my local dealer for their next allocation which he said shouldn't be for another few months. It gives me time to think and plan what I want to do.
I dunno man... my older brother uses his GT4 as an occasional commuter and I have borrowed it a few times and it is a pain to daily.. it scrapes easily and the LWB are hard to get in and out off. Have to move the seat back to get out. And it can get over powered in a straight line on a street. I am actually thinking hard about taking back my 981.2 GT4 deposit due to these factors.

No offense to any M2 or M4 owners but I will take my old school 996TT any day over those BMW coupes. It's a very easy daily drive, and with a simple exhaust+chip has modern day acceleration potential plus the visceral old school "feel". As a bonus I have zero complaints about the WOT sounds of the car (it does drone at part throttle on the highway, but that's particular to the exhaust i am using). I do think the M2 lower power FR car is a lot easier to drive hard.. I am still working up to going 10/10th in my car, and getting comfortable sliding a higher power rear engined car around corners.. it is pretty intimidating in a way my old F80 was not.

M3 sedan is where it is at. I think nothing can touch it in the 4dr / 5 seat class, but once you go into the 2dr class, sedan based M2/M4 gets trumped in my mind by many 2 seater and 2+2 pure sports car
Appreciate 3
csbear1118.00
JTO245276.00
Dinh335713.00
      08-10-2017, 12:35 AM   #136
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I dunno man... my older brother uses his GT4 as an occasional commuter and I have borrowed it a few times and it is a pain to daily.. it scrapes easily and the LWB are hard to get in and out off. Have to move the seat back to get out. And it can get over powered in a straight line on a street. I am actually thinking hard about taking back my 981.2 GT4 deposit due to these factors.
All these things are true. The -30mm ride height and front lip (although it's a cheap part to replace) will easily get scraped. Hell, I had to pick my gas stations strategically due to some of their entry ways being too sharp a grade. And you will feel every bump, big time. I was actually ok with the harsh ride comfort, but daily driving it in Philly traffic is extremely nerve racking. The highways here are the worst I've witnessed from the 5 states I've lived in (NJ, CA, VA, MD, PA) and drivers are very aggressive. BUT, I feel the GT4 is a capable DD if you have a straightforward commute within the suburbs. I could do that...

And yes, I felt it lacked some of the oomph I was looking for in a primarily street focused car, with a little tracking mixed in. The long gearing with manual was a big part obviously.

I got high on the GT4 wait list without much problem. I just didn't go to one of the big dealers and took a risk because it was the ultimate Cayman... and it really is.

Nonetheless, the GT4 was a blast to own while I had it. It garnered a ton of respect and attention on the road, even from Ferrari, Lambo, and 911 owners. Surprisingly, it got almost the same amount of attention from women as men, but that could have been the wing, Sapphire Blue, and the P-car emblem speaking. But all that attention within city limits is not a great thing to have all the time. It was fun while it lasted...But as my wife and I are talking kids and such, it may be time for something like an M3, a car I have admired my entire life anyway. Although, I am #1 on the M2 CS list

I've never owned a sedan. My car previous to the GT4 was an M Roadster (S54)..And yes, I kept that for quite awhile.

Last edited by csbear; 08-10-2017 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      08-10-2017, 07:11 AM   #137
JTO24
United_States
Rep

Quote:

No offense to any M2 or M4 owners but I will take my old school 996TT any day over those BMW coupes. It's a very easy daily drive, and with a simple exhaust+chip has modern day acceleration potential plus the visceral old school "feel". As a bonus I have zero complaints about the WOT sounds of the car (it does drone at part throttle on the highway, but that's particular to the exhaust i am using). I do think the M2 lower power FR car is a lot easier to drive hard.. I am still working up to going 10/10th in my car, and getting comfortable sliding a higher power rear engined car around corners.. it is pretty intimidating in a way my old F80 was not.

M3 sedan is where it is at. I think nothing can touch it in the 4dr / 5 seat class, but once you go into the 2dr class, sedan based M2/M4 gets trumped in my mind by many 2 seater and 2+2 pure sports car
I do agree with everything you stated. The M2 is definitely not my first choice but it's a decent compromise on fun, practicality and budget at the moment. The RS3 is another option but I don't think I'm ready for FWD-based AWD AND no manual. I would love to find a clean 996TT but part of me can't get over the dated interior for my only car/DD. I think a clean 997.1TT would be nice but they are still a little too pricey for me, at the moment for my current situation.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #138
Mike991M4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

all these people with kids or dogs, can't you just use your wife's car when transporting the family? I don't daily my 991, but just because its a manual and traffic sucks sometimes. I got the DCT M4 for the rush hour driving.
2015 Cayenne Diesel
2017 M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #139
JTO24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike991M4 View Post
all these people with kids or dogs, can't you just use your wife's car when transporting the family? I don't daily my 991, but just because its a manual and traffic sucks sometimes. I got the DCT M4 for the rush hour driving.
That's what we do now and it works well. The funny thing is my fiance is OK with me getting a 911 because it has backseats I still take the dog in my car but if we get another I'll need another seat.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #140
Mike991M4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

I take my dog on the 991, but if its the 3 of us, we take the cayenne, but thats because I wear black uniform pants and jacket and the dog is white. she usually rides in my lap while my wife does the driving.
2015 Cayenne Diesel
2017 M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #141
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Next GT4 will be a 718 variant......981 ship has sailed. As for the daily usability of the GT4, it's not bad at all. I used mine as a daily for the first 8 months of ownership and loved it. Getting in and out can be a issue until you learn the proper technique. I don't find myself getting overpowered but then again I'm not trying to see what it will trap from light to light either. And yes it's low but that's not the real issue (my E92 was just as low on swift springs) it's the overhang of the front end that will catch you by surprise. For me, the GT4 checks all the boxes and as I've said on many threads, my love for BMW had faded after 17 years and multiple cars. Will I ever return (never say never) but right now I'm totally enjoying the P-car ownership. I look forward to uncovering my car and getting some weekend road time. It's been about 3 weeks and I can't wait for this weekend to arrive. Since it's no longer my daily, every time I turn the key with my left hand it's like the first time all over again. "There's No Substitute"........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      08-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #142
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
That's what we do now and it works well. The funny thing is my fiance is OK with me getting a 911 because it has backseats I still take the dog in my car but if we get another I'll need another seat
Hahah has she seen the back seats in a 911?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 12:49 AM   #143
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
But as my wife and I are talking kids and such, it may be time for something like an M3, a car I have admired my entire life anyway.

I've never owned a sedan. My car previous to the GT4 was an M Roadster (S54)..And yes, I kept that for quite awhile.
F80 is an awesome first sedan!
Appreciate 2
JTO245276.00
csbear1118.00
      08-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #144
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Agreed completely. F80 M3 is the best sport sedan on the market, period, full stop.

Just my opinion, but I think the M4 is soft/boring. Looks like an old man's luxury cruiser. If a car is going to sacrifice the utility of 2 extra doors (a sedan) it sure as shit better make up for it in terms of performance and looks and the M4 fails to do either. FWIW, I feel the same way about the C63 and CTS-V, not picking on BMW here.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 08:49 PM   #145
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike991M4 View Post
I do, we rack up the miles on her Grand Cherokee. But I still need/want the independence to do what I need with my daughter if my wife is off doing something else. I also tried the 2-car route where I had a daily driver with my Z06, but I spent 95% of my time in my beater while the "fun car" just sat in the garage. Seemed stupid. That's why I bought my M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 10:24 PM   #146
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Next GT4 will be a 718 variant......981 ship has sailed. As for the daily usability of the GT4, it's not bad at all. I used mine as a daily for the first 8 months of ownership and loved it. Getting in and out can be a issue until you learn the proper technique. I don't find myself getting overpowered but then again I'm not trying to see what it will trap from light to light either. And yes it's low but that's not the real issue (my E92 was just as low on swift springs) it's the overhang of the front end that will catch you by surprise. For me, the GT4 checks all the boxes and as I've said on many threads, my love for BMW had faded after 17 years and multiple cars. Will I ever return (never say never) but right now I'm totally enjoying the P-car ownership. I look forward to uncovering my car and getting some weekend road time. It's been about 3 weeks and I can't wait for this weekend to arrive. Since it's no longer my daily, every time I turn the key with my left hand it's like the first time all over again. "There's No Substitute"........Phil
Hey, it's my doppelganger! Nice ride. I definitely miss her. And yes, it's the pointy front end you have to be careful of.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #147
REDEV217342
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
I do, we rack up the miles on her Grand Cherokee. But I still need/want the independence to do what I need with my daughter if my wife is off doing something else. I also tried the 2-car route where I had a daily driver with my Z06, but I spent 95% of my time in my beater while the "fun car" just sat in the garage. Seemed stupid. That's why I bought my M3.
This is precisely why I am getting out of my 981S and back into M4 or perhaps an M3. I put less than 4K on the 981S in 12 months and drove the piss out of my truck. Just doesn't make sense.

I do completely disagree about the M4 comment you made previously. This does not look soft/boring.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      08-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #148
DaveCSparty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

I really want a 997 Turbo and don't want to wait until I'm the stereotypical old man driving a Porsche. It's tough w/ kids though, so I'm starting to understand it.
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      08-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #149
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDEV217342 View Post
This is precisely why I am getting out of my 981S and back into M4 or perhaps an M3. I put less than 4K on the 981S in 12 months and drove the piss out of my truck. Just doesn't make sense.

I do completely disagree about the M4 comment you made previously. This does not look soft/boring.
Don't let go of the 981!

I think a lot of us just need such a wise range of characteristics that it's hard to find or associate in one car anymore. Perhaps the 911 GTS could fit both bills...but I wish I had my 981 CS back just to thrash...and could keep the ZCP for everyday driving. That would be a perfect combo.
      08-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #150
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

I loved my 987.2 Cayman S, but I love my 991.1 C2S even more!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #151
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
Agreed completely. F80 M3 is the best sport sedan on the market, period, full stop.

Just my opinion, but I think the M4 is soft/boring. Looks like an old man's luxury cruiser. If a car is going to sacrifice the utility of 2 extra doors (a sedan) it sure as shit better make up for it in terms of performance and looks and the M4 fails to do either. FWIW, I feel the same way about the C63 and CTS-V, not picking on BMW here.
Right on. You can't replicate the low seat position of a pure sports car, and the sound proofing and all of those things to make a good daily also lessen the sports car aspects.

The more I think about this question, "logical choice" is the wrong way to think about this.

For a $60k+ car it's just what you want and what makes you happy
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 07:29 PM   #152
Motodude310
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 GTI

What about the RS3? They're underrated much like the M3/4. One just ran an 11.81@116 bone stock. And you can still squeeze 4 people in it if you had to along with beimg half the price of a 997.2. And let's not forget it will probably make big gains with a dp and a tune. And that noise ain't bad either.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 08:25 PM   #153
P Casey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Interesting. I actually went from a Porsche 996TT to GT-R, which I currently have. I'll keep the GT-R forever. Probably park it at 60k miles & move back to a 997 Turbo, which outside of the 991 Turbo is my favorite. The M3 is my daily. When I had the Porsche TT it was heavily modded with Tubi exhaust Cobb e85 HRE's, etc. I had a buddy with the 997 that was fantastic. They hold value very well. Great cars. Here's some pics.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 07:07 PM   #154
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

P Casey, I PMed you to ask about the interior and suspension setup of your 996
Appreciate 0