Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-26-2015, 02:41 AM   #89
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
I don't track my M4 and I am getting H&R springs installed tomorrow.. How bad is it really? I've talked to a few owners that have them and they felt a stiffer ride of course but as good or better handling.
Everyone has a different tolerance for what is an acceptable compromise in ride quality and handling; and that is what it is, a compromise. Some people's tolerance (especially on this forum) is pretty high. I'm in the camp that thought H&R with stock struts rode like sh*t and handled like sh*t. And it got worse over time as the springs started to settle and sag while the struts blew out. The bouncing oscillated perfectly in time with the grooves on the 405 fwy and it drove me mad. Especially at night while I was in the fast lane, I could see my head light beam on the concrete divider bouncing up and down. It literally made my BMW feel like a piece of crap and it was embarrassing. You know how you laugh when you see a beat up civic that's stanced out struggling to go up drive ways and bouncing all over the place? Well that's how I felt everyone else with a nice car was thinking about me.

I'd rather dump $10,000 into a good suspension upgrade than spend $300 on H&R springs with stock struts.
Appreciate 3
skewzm342.50
      06-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #90
hwalk
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o View Post
Everyone has a different tolerance for what is an acceptable compromise in ride quality and handling; and that is what it is, a compromise. Some people's tolerance (especially on this forum) is pretty high. I'm in the camp that thought H&R with stock struts rode like sh*t and handled like sh*t. And it got worse over time as the springs started to settle and sag while the struts blew out. The bouncing oscillated perfectly in time with the grooves on the 405 fwy and it drove me mad. Especially at night while I was in the fast lane, I could see my head light beam on the concrete divider bouncing up and down. It literally made my BMW feel like a piece of crap and it was embarrassing. You know how you laugh when you see a beat up civic that's stanced out struggling to go up drive ways and bouncing all over the place? Well that's how I felt everyone else with a nice car was thinking about me.

I'd rather dump $10,000 into a good suspension upgrade than spend $300 on H&R springs with stock struts.
Sorry, but imo you do overdraw the situation. I have those (oh so crappy) H&R springs installed and there are loads of nice corners around here in the Blackforest Area of Germany. Of course the car is very low but the driving isn't that bad if you use "sport" or "comfort" mode. Admittedly we have very good surface over here so you can go with a track like setup. But finally i agree that H&R is very too less damping especially in daily use while riding to work or so. I hope one day there will be better solutions than H&R but it's not true that the car drives like "$h*t"... Currently i thin about AC Schnitzer which is crazily overpriced but maybe worth the money
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #91
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9
I don't track my M4 and I am getting H&R springs installed tomorrow.. How bad is it really? I've talked to a few owners that have them and they felt a stiffer ride of course but as good or better handling.
It rides ok at first, then becomes bouncy. This is what reported by a few members who then went to HAS after H&R, then just went full coils. It's just a waste of install money and alignment unless you do all of this yourself.

H&R is stiffer than stock. Our struts are simply not valved for it. I would leave it stock than going H&R, at least the M engineers spent many hours tuning it. Go coils or leave it alone. Despite what many thinks, lowering the car with springs alone don't make the car go any faster around corners, it's quite the opposite. At high speed, if your struts can't keep up with your springs so the tires will sometimes lose contact with the pavement. You won't notice this unless you track it and experience with this issue. This is why high end coils allow you to choose spring rate and re-valve the struts to match it.
      06-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #92
MasterC17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
I am ready to pull the trigger on the HAS kit with my EDC set up. But you have me worried. Why are you not in love? Noisy? Bouncy? Too firm? I need your input.
My complaint would be a little bouncy. However, I also track my car heavily so I'm pretty particular with regards to setup. I've stuck with it for the moment and Turner just finished my corner balance and alignment. It will be interesting to see the difference now.
      06-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #93
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
My complaint would be a little bouncy. However, I also track my car heavily so I'm pretty particular with regards to setup. I've stuck with it for the moment and Turner just finished my corner balance and alignment. It will be interesting to see the difference now.
Thanks MC

I can take a little bouncy, but I can't take it bouncing around all day, like a lowered Civic.

My M4 will never see the track though, only lowering it for the looks. To me, every car looks better with a subtle drop. I don't need anything dramatic, just 1/4" in the rear, and 3/4 inch up front. I hope HAS can accommodate this, and not ride like sh@#!
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #94
lmoretti
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 YMB

Anyone have even a slight idea of when the Damptronic set will be available?
2005 G35S - SOLD
1988 RX7 TURBO II - SOLD but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #95
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
It rides ok at first, then becomes bouncy. This is what reported by a few members who then went to HAS after H&R, then just went full coils. It's just a waste of install money and alignment unless you do all of this yourself.

H&R is stiffer than stock. Our struts are simply not valved for it. I would leave it stock than going H&R, at least the M engineers spent many hours tuning it. Go coils or leave it alone. Despite what many thinks, lowering the car with springs alone don't make the car go any faster around corners, it's quite the opposite. At high speed, if your struts can't keep up with your springs so the tires will sometimes lose contact with the pavement. You won't notice this unless you track it and experience with this issue. This is why high end coils allow you to choose spring rate and re-valve the struts to match it.
I gotta admit, I was perfectly happy with my H&R sports for my F80 when I first got them... but after a couple of weeks, the ride got bouncy enough that I couldn't wait to get my KWs. I did ride in a car with the adaptives that had H&R and it was a lot better. My car did not have the adaptive suspension.

I am interested to see how the new Swift springs do. Springs have to be stiffer to prevent bottoming since you are losing travel, and the Swifts are stiffer, but they also barely lower the car, so hopefully they ride better.

That said, I was not happy with the street ride of the KW V3 either. Yes, it was more controlled but they rode poorly as well, in a different way - they both packed down over multiple bumps (too much high speed rebound) and couldn't blow off enough for large bumps (high speed compression). Hopefully Bilstein and Ohlins (being monotube) will get those ratios better.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 06:52 PM   #96
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
I gotta admit, I was perfectly happy with my H&R sports for my F80 when I first got them... but after a couple of weeks, the ride got bouncy enough that I couldn't wait to get my KWs. I did ride in a car with the adaptives that had H&R and it was a lot better. My car did not have the adaptive suspension.

I am interested to see how the new Swift springs do. Springs have to be stiffer to prevent bottoming since you are losing travel, and the Swifts are stiffer, but they also barely lower the car, so hopefully they ride better.

That said, I was not happy with the street ride of the KW V3 either. Yes, it was more controlled but they rode poorly as well, in a different way - they both packed down over multiple bumps (too much high speed rebound) and couldn't blow off enough for large bumps (high speed compression). Hopefully Bilstein and Ohlins (being monotube) will get those ratios better.
I'd like to know more about your experience with the KW V3 on the F8X. Did you have them installed on your car? Did they settle and get worse over time? What were the compression/rebound settings?

I'll be going over to Auto Talent this week to go on a "ride along" with an F82 on KW V3s. I'm really hoping that I'm pleasantly surprised by it because I have a negative outlook on KW products as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #97
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmoretti
October 2015
      07-06-2015, 10:10 PM   #98
Tempe Mendoan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92-M3 / 458 / F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol
Quote:
October 2015
I've heard from some source that the upcoming GTS will use the special Damptronic, is it true? That's why it'll be released after the GTS launching?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 10:29 PM   #99
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

Today is September 30th, 2015, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 10:51 PM   #100
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe Mendoan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol
Quote:
October 2015
I've heard from some source that the upcoming GTS will use the special Damptronic, is it true? That's why it'll be released after the GTS launching?
That's the rumor. Can't confirm until BMW release the specs. It would make sense as the GTR to 911s use Bilstein Damptronic.
      07-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #101
M4 away
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Subscribe. I can wait. I like the ohlins, if they aren't too stiff for the street. I only plan on tracking maybe twice a year. Its amazing how much back pedalling is done on this forum. So much cheer leading for cheap nasty products....Then months later the truth comes out.

When will people learn, cheap is never good.

I saw a sign in a tattoo parlour once. It said, "Cheap work is Not Good and Good work is not cheap. "

As the original posted eluded to, "Buy well, Buy ONCE."

Bilstein have a great name in Australia. The top of the line EVO X come stock with them. I have seen Stock R 35 GT-R under steer into the side of a mountain range after trying to follow a Bilstein equipped Evo around the twisties.

Just my 2c.

Last edited by M4 away; 07-07-2015 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-07-2015, 09:49 PM   #102
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJ View Post
Subscribe. I can wait. I like the ohlins, if they aren't too stiff for the street. I only plan on tracking maybe twice a year. Its amazing how much back pedalling is done on this forum. So much cheer leading for cheap nasty products....Then months later the truth comes out.

When will people learn, cheap is never good.

I saw a sign in a tattoo parlour once. It said, "Cheap work is Not Good and Good work is not cheap. "

As the original posted eluded to, "Buy well, Buy ONCE."

Bilstein have a great name in Australia. The top of the line EVO X come stock with them. I have seen Stock R 35 GT-R under steer into the side of a mountain range after trying to follow a Bilstein equipped Evo around the twisties.

Just my 2c.
I agree whole heartedly. So many rave initial reviews and then boom a posting in member classifieds. Lol
Appreciate 2
skewzm342.50
      07-08-2015, 12:32 AM   #103
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
I agree whole heartedly. So many rave initial reviews and then boom a posting in member classifieds. Lol
LOL, so true. I'm willing to wait, and do it once. I will do endless research, even PMing some people for some candid feedback on their purchase, before pulling the trigger. But once I pull the trigger, I almost never have regrets.
Appreciate 3
      07-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #104
lmoretti
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 YMB

Thanks for the info, I was going to go with KW HAS but Ill stay stock and will ONLY buy these when the time comes. Also agreed on the quality/cost direct relationship. Now to patiently wait lol
2005 G35S - SOLD
1988 RX7 TURBO II - SOLD but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #105
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post

This is kinda Scary. I'm trying out the Swifts, but I love the ride/handling of stock adaptive suspension. I dont want to jeopardize that.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 06:18 PM   #106
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Track guys will buy the car without EDC and those of us love to tinker with damper settings with a push of a button will buy EDC. It's silly to pay for EDC knowing that it will soon be replaced by a full coilover system.

Our shop M3(with EDC) will likely never see any track time so Swift Spec-R is a natural choice.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #107
Uponone76
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I'm getting really impatient waiting for these...

I'm finding myself researching springs, but don't want to waste the time or money changing out the suspension twice.

Vendors, does anyone have any sort of an update regarding availability, pricing, or, hell anything!?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #108
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uponone76 View Post
I'm getting really impatient waiting for these...

I'm finding myself researching springs, but don't want to waste the time or money changing out the suspension twice.

Vendors, does anyone have any sort of an update regarding availability, pricing, or, hell anything!?
I just saw the launch of Damptronic for the E9x M3. The F8x M3/M4 is pretty close behind. Still a mid-Q4 launch.

Keep bugging AWE-Tuning / Supreme Power / Tag

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1139242
      08-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #109
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

Looking at Q4 still. No major updates yet

Sales & service of BBS Street & Motorsport products.
BBS Highest Volume Dealer 2015 thru 2022
All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 12:15 AM   #110
M4 CSL
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
LOL, so true. I'm willing to wait, and do it once. I will do endless research, even PMing some people for some candid feedback on their purchase, before pulling the trigger. But once I pull the trigger, I almost never have regrets.
Absolutely, Measure 455 times and cut ONCE.

The 3 on my short list in order of preference are

1. Ohlins
2. Bilstein Damptronic
3. JRZ Pro

Are there any other options for Sway Bars other than Dinan? Theirs look fine, but usually their stuff is conservative for street. Wonder how they would go with some serious suspension like the Ohlins?