Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Next M3/M4 thoughts and questions

Hello im saving up some money for a new car and i have the next M3/M4 in my sight.
What i like about BMW is that they are sporty ,fun to drive ,looks good ,hold on to rwd and offer luxury and good comfort so pretty much complete cars.

I am looking forward to the next M3/M4 that seems to get Turbocharged i like highpowerd Natural aspirated motors to but you can't beat the power and efficiency of a good Turbo motor.

One specific thing i like in the new F30 and hopfully M3/M4 is that it continued to use the manual hand brake lever which most other brands is replacing with a button.
I dont like things that take away driver involvement ,i plan to use the car all year round and we get snow here in Sweden in the winter and its good to have a handbrake when you sometimes play around in the snow and you can also use it on dry roads in hairpin turns.

I hope they come with manual transmissions as i wrote above that i like the driver involvement sure DCT transmissions are faster but the involvement in changeing gear myself is more satisfying ,they can leave the DCT as an option.
Do you think that they may come with a 7 speed manual like Porsche 991 as BMW is making all there new cars more fuel effective and faster?

Also i want to ask you M3 E90 owners and other BMW owners can answer to about DSC can you fully disconnect it and so it stays off until you turn it back on?
Im wondering becuse many newer cars you can't disconnect att all or just partly or until you brake hard or panic brake and i hate that shit how is in the BMW's?
You can't have any fun in the snow if the DSC is on and on some twisty roads you don't want it interfering either and of course if you want to drift you have to disconnect it.
So i hope the next M3/M4 have fully disconnectable DSC.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

You can turn off the traction control completely in the current M3. The F80 will be offered in a manual transmission. You can see the gear selector in these pics
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602770
It looks like it will be a 6 speed if the picture is any indication. I wish they would do a 7 speed though
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

I'm in complete agreement with you in regards to not taking away anything that makes the driver feel more connected to the car.

As for a seven speed manual, I doubt it. BMW isn't going to spend any money on what it sees as a dying technology, and that's been evident in the manual transmissions of its current lineup, which sadly, are very vague and feel muddy when compared to those find in cars like the S2000, 370Z, and GT3.

We'll likely see the same unit that's in the current generation of cars in the handful of remaining future BMWs that will still see a manual transmission (with specific gearing, of course).

I also hope that any start-stop technology that the M3 comes with will default to off.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem

Last edited by aajami; 02-13-2012 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Sounds good that you can turn off DSC completely in the E90 M3 but does it come back on if you break heavy?
Do you have to be stationary when you turn it off or can you do it on the move?

It would be cool with a new 7 speed manual but a 6 speed manual is good to.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holset View Post
Sounds good that you can turn off DSC completely in the E90 M3 but does it come back on if you break heavy?
Do you have to be stationary when you turn it off or can you do it on the move?

It would be cool with a new 7 speed manual but a 6 speed manual is good to.
No to both questions. When you turn it off, it turns off completely until such point that you turn the car off and on again, or you wrap it around a telephone pole.

And you can turn DSC on and off (as well adjust any EDC settings, power settings, steering settings, and shift speeds) on the move at any time.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
No to both questions. When you turn it off, it turns off completely until such point that you turn the car off and on again, or you wrap it around a telephone pole.

And you can turn DSC on and off (as well adjust any EDC settings, power settings, steering settings, and shift speeds) on the move at any time.
Very good i like that lets hope that BMW continues that in the future.

Thanks for your answers guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

I have another question for you who have a E9X M3.
Have you ever tested to give gas and push brake at the same time while moving?
Some newer cars shut down the trottle while doing this.
I saw a video clip of a E90 M3 doing a standstill burnout so that seems to work but i wonder whats happening while you are moving?

Some racecars drivers push the brake a little while going full thottle before a turn to preload the brakes.
And some people use it in turbocharged cars to spool up the turbo while racing on the move and also in trackracing to get boost out of a turn in cars with turbolag.
And can also be used to load transfer the car and also get the backend out on fwd cars.
There are other benefits with this technique too.

Left-foot braking:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-foot_braking

Last edited by Holset; 03-11-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Matei
Private First Class
Romania
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I can tell you what can you do and not do in a 6 speed manual e92 M3.
You can push the brake And accelerate full on at the same time while moving.
You can pull the e brake and block rear wheels while moving.
You can turn dsc completly off as aajami said. On or off when you want.
You can do a burout.

You can't turn off abs.
You can't rev the car in neutral to redline. Only to 7000rpm.
But once you engaged first gear and pressed the clutch you can rev it to redline.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #9
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matei View Post
I can tell you what can you do and not do in a 6 speed manual e92 M3.
You can push the brake And accelerate full on at the same time while moving.
You can pull the e brake and block rear wheels while moving.
You can turn dsc completly off as aajami said. On or off when you want.
You can do a burout.

You can't turn off abs.
You can't rev the car in neutral to redline. Only to 7000rpm.
But once you engaged first gear and pressed the clutch you can rev it to redline.
Sounds good thanks for the answer.

About the neutral max 7000rpm i wonder if thats has something to do with some gearshafts or something in the gearbox turning to fast redline is 8400-8500rpm i think.
My parents has a Mercedes c180 kompressor (i know totally diffrent car) it also has lover max rpm when you stand still at only 4000rpm for some reason.
Appreciate 0