R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Does your ZCP burble all time in Sport?

Question.

Does the ZCP only burble in Sport and Flaps open?

I'm just asking because my ZCP is not burble all time long in Sport. I would say like 90-95% ... just confused, because sometimes there is no burble at the point I would expect it....

Thanks

Last edited by LOW4LYF; 10-19-2016 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #2
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
Question.

Does the ZCP only burble in Sport and Flaps open?

I'm just asking because my ZCP is not burble all time long in Sport. I would say like 90-95% ... just confused, because sometimes there is no burble at the point I would expect it....

Thanks
The ZCP's burble in Sport is less aggressive and doesn't last as long as in Sport+. Have you tried Sport+?

Also, if you are constantly "triggering" the overrun, the DME will eventually stop allowing it to keep EGTs from getting too out of hand and this is for turbo longetivity.

There are other instances where the DME deems the aggressive overrun to be unnecessary and will cut it out - like running the engine really hard for prolonged periods....etc. BMW has tuned the overrun to be somewhat aggressive, but not to the point of sacrificing turbo reliability.

Last edited by CaryTheLabelGuy; 10-19-2016 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #3
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
The ZCP's burble in Sport is less aggressive and doesn't last as long as in Sport+. Have you tried Sport+?

Also, if you are constantly "triggering" the overrun, the DME will eventually stop allowing it to keep EGTs from getting too out of hand and this is for turbo longetivity.

There are other instances where the DME deems the aggressive overrun to be unnecessary and will cut it out - like running the engine really hard for prolonged periods....etc. BMW has tuned the overrun to be somewhat aggressive, but not to the point of sacrificing turbo reliability.

Is there any harm being done with a burble tune from tuners that seem to be even more aggressive than BMW's? I really enjoy my Gintani burble tune although hopefully its not doing any harm in the long-run.

Last edited by LAKERS333; 10-19-2016 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #4
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKERS333 View Post
Is there any harm being done with a burble tune from tuners that seem to be even more aggressive than BMW's? I really enjoy my Gintani burble tune although hopefully its not doing any harm in the long-run.
Well, anytime you potentially ignite fuel in the turbine section of the turbo (which is what an aggressive overrun is doing, more or less) and/or increase EGTs, you create a potential issue with turbo reliability. However, I don't believe any of these tunes are reaching ALS-level (Anti-Lag) overruns and I believe BMW is being slightly conservative in their implementation of their overrun in terms of duration and when they cut it out altogether.

The S55 doesn't have EGT probes from the factory, so BMW is calculating EGTs and that calculation isn't perfect.

I have used full ALS-level overruns on customers cars and had full-blown ALS setups on my personal Evos. On race cars with full ALS, it will cause the turbo to need to be rebuilt very often. On street cars with full ALS, I've never personally seen a turbo die prematurely with A full-blown ALS or at least any faster or with any more frequency than turbos on cars without the ALS. Turbos can suffer bearing failure pretty easily (especially journal bearing turbos) and for no reason. I've seen brand new turbos fail while breaking-in an engine on a dyno, with only minutes of run-time.

Shit happens, but overall, it certainly doesn't help a turbo's bearings to have an aggressive overrun and/or ALS system.
Appreciate 3
M3Fury122.50
itrsteve136.50