ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

03-20-2017, 03:55 AM   #67
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemeld_135 View Post
Thanks for this! I used it to install my v2 in to my M2. Obviously skipped the electric parts. Here's the end result
Look nice
What is part number for carbon fiber trim with new logo? It's shown on Realoem site
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #68
Dr. Thrillride
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i

I have my car in the shop early April as we are just digging out of winter here...

The dealer tells me that the wheel needs programming to work...lol...I don't think so, but did I miss something??

Anyways, I think I have the only defective wheel in existence. I hooked into the X5*1B connector, nice and neat, but no cigar on power to the wheel. Shop will tell me what's up in early April, but geez...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 09:50 AM   #69
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thrillride View Post
The dealer tells me that the wheel needs programming to work...lol...I don't think so, but did I miss something??
Correct, no programming necessary.
      04-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #70
Mc.d
Rep
Drives: F87

Hi all,

I wonder if I could have a little feed back from from those that have this M per steering wheel with race display fitted.

I've had mine on since purchasing the car 8 months ago, dealer fitted 2016 F87.
All worked well ( faultless ) & very pleased I had it fitted... but, on two occasions now it has stopped working ( or gone to sleep!! ) it happened 4 weeks ago & today.

Usual prosedure ignition on , led lights do their thing & m performance in display
Press & hold two buttons on comes oil / water temps. Drove 2 miles to petrol station, stop engine get out.
Fill up, get back in start car and no led flash or m perf logo in display? Stop engine, ign off try again. Nothing.
Drive 15mls with the thing still not working & arrive at dealers. Leave car for 20mins come out side with advisor & would you believe it all working again
Interestingly, my setting for the led rev lights and the display had not been lost. What I mean is it had not done a reset ( back to default ) so I assume it had not lost its power supply?

Left & went for a day out, 150 miles later with numerous starting and stoping it never missed a beat, led rev lights fine and display settings fine.
Yes, it does its normal display off after around 15mins but then pushing either of the buttons brings it straight back on..

Has anyone experienced anything like this at all?

I'd appreciate any comments or feed back as I've now booked it in with my dealer for next week, but I really don't want them to start pulling panels off again.

Thx
M
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #71
M-Attack
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc.d View Post
Hi all,

I wonder if I could have a little feed back from from those that have this M per steering wheel with race display fitted.

All worked well ( faultless ) & very pleased I had it fitted... but, on two occasions now it has stopped working ( or gone to sleep!! ) it happened 4 weeks ago & today.

Usual prosedure ignition on , led lights do their thing & m performance in display
Press & hold two buttons on comes oil / water temps. Drove 2 miles to petrol station, stop engine get out.
Fill up, get back in start car and no led flash or m perf logo in display? Stop engine, ign off try again. Nothing.
Drive 15mls with the thing still not working & arrive at dealers. Leave car for 20mins come out side with advisor & would you believe it all working again
Interestingly, my setting for the led rev lights and the display had not been lost. What I mean is it had not done a reset ( back to default ) so I assume it had not lost its power supply?

Left & went for a day out, 150 miles later with numerous starting and stoping it never missed a beat, led rev lights fine and display settings fine.
Yes, it does its normal display off after around 15mins but then pushing either of the buttons brings it straight back on..

I'd appreciate any comments or feed back as I've now booked it in with my dealer for next week, but I really don't want them to start pulling panels off again.

Thx
M
Hey Dude, seems 9 out of 10 guys run into this problem. Happens to me at least 1month that either the wheel doesn't turn on at all or it doesn't pick up the rpm for some reason. Heard in most cases it's the negative pole, but I doubt it's the issue. My wiring is fine. Park the car have it go to sleep and go back in after a while and you'll be fine.
      04-30-2017, 02:40 AM   #72
Mc.d
Rep
Drives: F87

M-Attack

Thanks for the reply.
TBH, if that's how often it occurs & is just a quirk then I'd be happy to just leave as is and cancel the dealer trip. It has never missed a beat in all the times I've been driving the car, it only failed on startups.
As good as my dealers are, it's the taking apart of the trims again that I worry about. It could lead to more rattles & ill fitting parts...

M
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #73
M-Attack
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
M-Attack

Thanks for the reply.
TBH, if that's how often it occurs & is just a quirk then I'd be happy to just leave as is and cancel the dealer trip. It has never missed a beat in all the times I've been driving the car, it only failed on startups.
As good as my dealers are, it's the taking apart of the trims again that I worry about. It could lead to more rattles & ill fitting parts...

M
By all means take it in, especially if they installed it. As the wheel is not coded I don't think they can see any issues at all. They are many threads open on that topic though. I'll read thru them a lot prior to buying. I do have to say though, it got less for some reason. Also don't forget the wheel purposely not turn on over a certain temperature. So if you park in the sun in a hot day. It needs to cool down first. Check the manual it states somewhere on the first pages.
      05-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #74
Gfd2020
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M3 Comp.

Hi all, quick question -- my vibration mechanism, has a funny vibrate noise post the install, like something is loose. I reopened it and checked, made sure all was secure. Anyone else experience this? Seems something is still off. When the vibration mechanism kicks in on the road, the vibrate now has a slight rattle to it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 07:12 AM   #75
Gfd2020
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Following up w a picture
Attached Images

05-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #76
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Make sure the gold clip is securely attached on both sides, and that you put the foam cover back on top of it before installing the trim.
      05-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #77
Gfd2020
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Make sure the gold clip is securely attached on both sides, and that you put the foam cover back on top of it before installing the trim.
Thanks. Seems I lost that foam piece you are referencing. Happen to have a picture? Maybe I can make a new one. Thank you!

EDIT: Found a picture at the end of your original post and was able to order it from BMW. All set, thanks!
      05-12-2017, 12:59 AM   #78
135andrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: want to buy one

Does data cable have to be connected to plug in harness for wheel to light up? Where does it get power from? My data cable carries no power over.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 01:36 AM   #79
Demxsr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Hey I followed this guide and the instruction manual listed. I finished the installation and everything fit back together well. But I'm not getting any power to the LED's or the display on the steering wheel. All other buttons and horn are working properly?

Any pointers? Like the OP did, I tapped the brown wire onto the ground of the foot well light. I assumed that to also be the solid brown wire on the connection going into the foot well light clip. Was that the wrong one?

Also why is there 2 different manuals for this install. Someone else posted a 2nd manual that has slightly different instructions for wiring.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 02:24 AM   #80
Demxsr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demxsr View Post
Hey I followed this guide and the instruction manual listed. I finished the installation and everything fit back together well. But I'm not getting any power to the LED's or the display on the steering wheel. All other buttons and horn are working properly?

Any pointers? Like the OP did, I tapped the brown wire onto the ground of the foot well light. I assumed that to also be the solid brown wire on the connection going into the foot well light clip. Was that the wrong one?

Also why is there 2 different manuals for this install. Someone else posted a 2nd manual that has slightly different instructions for wiring.

UPDATE

A few minutes later I go to try again. This time once auxiliary is turned on "BMW Performance" pops up, But no LED's. I'm able to go through the menus too. It was possible that the message popped up the first time, I just didn't see it.

This is where it gets weird. I set the time in the car and then turn everything off. I go to start the car a third time. Turn on auxiliary, up comes the "BMW Perf." message on the screen and the LED's finally do their start up sequence. My M1 and M2 buttons work and I'm able to change engine, EDC, and steering settings with their respective buttons near the shifter, WHILE THE ENGINE IS OFF. Once I start the car after about 5 seconds all drive settings go to their default. Efficient, Sport, Sport. When I push the drive mode buttons near the shifter nothing happens.
When I push the M1 or M2 button nothing happens besides the respective button logo quickly flashing 4-5 time in the spot it normally is on the gauge cluster, then it goes away and nothing changes.

I am running BM3

Last edited by Demxsr; 06-03-2017 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #81
PLZ_M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 ZCP M3 6MT

I'm thinking of installing the non-electric alcantara flat bottom steering wheel on my new M3 F80. Since there is no information going to my non electric steering wheel, I'm assuming steps 7-14 are steps I can skip and go right to step 15?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #82
Aztecspec
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i, 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzranchev View Post
I'm thinking of installing the non-electric alcantara flat bottom steering wheel on my new M3 F80. Since there is no information going to my non electric steering wheel, I'm assuming steps 7-14 are steps I can skip and go right to step 15?
I just installed mine and yes, skip those steps so the install is really easy. Thanks OP! Great instructions.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #83
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Installed the performance wheel in my M2. Thanks very much for the pics and instructions, really helpful.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 07:00 AM   #84
xuanmin
Rep
Drives: F10

WOW that's amazing
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 05:21 PM   #85
Nito310
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Hi all,

Thx
M

I've noticed this same problem on my car (M235i). It'll only happen every once in a while but it does happen. Usually the wheel will start up normally the first time I start the car. It's when I make a short stop (to put gas or something under 10 mins) that it has trouble recognizing the rpm's on start up again. Everything else on the wheel works and lights up, it just wont recognize the rpms and therefore the shift leds wont come on. It's not until I make another stop and shutoff the car completely for a couple minutes that it'll reset itself and everything is back to normal. Again, this doesn't always happen but when it does, its usually due to short stop.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #86
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I recently bought a car with this wheel already installed. The problem is, I don't know how to operate the electronic controls. It's not too intuitive. For example, I don't know how to exit settings menu nor do I even know how to turn on/off the shift lights.

Does anyone know or have a scan of the actual operating manual they can share? I found the install manual online, but it literally has 1 page on operation. I read somewhere this wheel came with a 30 page instruction manual.
      12-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #87
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I recently bought a car with this wheel already installed. The problem is, I don't know how to operate the electronic controls. It's not too intuitive. For example, I don't know how to exit settings menu nor do I even know how to turn on/off the shift lights.

Does anyone know or have a scan of the actual operating manual they can share? I found the install manual online, but it literally has 1 page on operation. I read somewhere this wheel came with a 30 page instruction manual.
I don't have the user guide handy, but short presses of the SW buttons in either direction move you through the menu items. A long press on the right button, brings you down a level of the menu tree. A long press on the left button, brings up up a level (go back).
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      12-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #88
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
I don't have the user guide handy, but short presses of the SW buttons in either direction move you through the menu items. A long press on the right button, brings you down a level of the menu tree. A long press on the left button, brings up up a level (go back).
thanks, and how do you actually turn it on and off?

When I turn on my car, the M Performance words pop up, then the screen turns off. Do you have to turn it on every time?