Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

04-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #1
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

Review of GTS EPS & Comp Package EDC

Hello,

I was thinking about getting my car coded with all the standard stuff. I have seen a lot of reviews of the GTS DCT software flash, but I don't see any reviews of the GTS EPS and comp package EDC. I don't want the car to be too harsh and I don't want the steering feel to be too heavy so would greatly appreciate any feedback for people who have had these two things coded. Thank you
      04-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
hakcar
**on hiatus**
Rep
Drives: F82

Here is a pretty good post that goes into some detail on both from a customer of mine: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=33

I can share more customer feedback on driving characteristics if you'd like--just reach out. Also, it's my practice to offer no-charge reversion for individual elements within a week in case someone prefers a default mode (not common, but I've had it happen in cases where someone wants to try ZCP dampers on stock springs for a bit).

Hopefully others will chime in with some first-hand nuggets of wisdom!

edit: also, michaelalex17 , depending on your I-STEP (current firmware revision on your car's ECUs), one way to change steering so that resistance is as light as possible (and thus road feel is somewhat enhanced) is to have steering set to F87CS mode. So, there are options other than the F82GTS steering that you might prefer.

Last edited by hakcar; 04-30-2017 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakcar View Post
Here is a pretty good post that goes into some detail on both from a customer of mine: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=33

I can share more customer feedback on driving characteristics if you'd like--just reach out. Also, it's my practice to offer no-charge reversion for individual elements within a week in case someone prefers a default mode (not common, but I've had it happen in cases where someone wants to try ZCP dampers on stock springs for a bit).

Hopefully others will chime in with some first-hand nuggets of wisdom!

edit: also, michaelalex17 , depending on your I-STEP (current firmware revision on your car's ECUs), one way to change steering so that resistance is as light as possible (and thus road feel is somewhat enhanced) is to have steering set to F87CS mode. So, there are options other than the F82GTS steering that you might prefer.
Thank you does anyone else have first hand experience?
      04-30-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
Thank you does anyone else have first hand experience?
+1 Also looking for feedback on the F87CS and GTS EPS coding.
      04-30-2017, 11:06 PM   #5
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Didn't like the ZCP EDC on stock springs at all. Best mods that I have done to the car were an I-step update, and the euro DME tuning with charcoal liner removal. I'm sure hakcar can help you out with the first two. Removing the liner is an easy DIY.

The euro DME with liner removal produces very noticeable improvements in engine responsiveness.
Appreciate 1
hakcar62.50
      04-30-2017, 11:23 PM   #6
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
Didn't like the ZCP EDC on stock springs at all. Best mods that I have done to the car were an I-step update, and the euro DME tuning with charcoal liner removal. I'm sure hakcar can help you out with the first two. Removing the liner is an easy DIY.

The euro DME with liner removal produces very noticeable improvements in engine responsiveness.
What do you mean by Euro DME tuning?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 11:29 PM   #7
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
DME is the module that controls engine behavior. The EU and North American f8x cars have a DME tune unique to those regions.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 11:37 PM   #8
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
DME is the module that controls engine behavior. The EU and North American f8x cars have a DME tune unique to those regions.
I know what DME is but thanks for explaining regardless. What I wanted to know was what you meant by Euro DME "tuning". I wasn't sure if you were referring to unlocking your DME and bench flashing it but I guess you just modify your FA and VO code your DME. I heard a lot about Euro vs US MDM but this is my first time hearing someone "coding"/flashing Euro DME. Is there really any noticeable difference between Euro and US DME?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 11:45 PM   #9
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I know what DME is but thanks for explaining regardless. What I wanted to know was what you meant by Euro DME "tuning". I wasn't sure if you were referring to unlocking your DME and bench flashing it but I guess you just modify your FA and VO code your DME. I heard a lot about Euro vs US MDM but this is my first time hearing someone "coding"/flashing Euro DME. Is there really any noticeable difference between Euro and US DME?
There is, but it's only worthwhile if you remove the intake liner IMO. I couldn't tell them apart until I did that. The difference is rather remarkable with those things gone.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      04-30-2017, 11:45 PM   #10
hakcar
**on hiatus**
Rep

Quote:
He means flashing the Euro DME software, which is simply done via VO coding with a modified FA as suspected. There is a noticeable difference in comfort throttle map; other differences aren't that noticeable (to me).
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      04-30-2017, 11:47 PM   #11
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakcar View Post
He means flashing the Euro DME software, which is simply done via VO coding with a modified FA as suspected. There is a noticeable difference in comfort throttle map; other differences aren't that noticeable (to me).
Interesting. I'm curious, did you purge the liners?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 11:51 PM   #12
hakcar
**on hiatus**
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. I'm curious, did you purge the liners?
Yep; it, along with my drop-ins, was one of my first mods (got the panel filters with the painted iND bits!), as mentioned here.

I also think that a basis for adaptations might have been at play and a possible contributor to the effect that's being contributed to (solely) the charcoal liner removal. I'm unsure how adaptations work after a flash (or adaptations reset), so it's pure speculation.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #13
mechanic75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3cs

So far happy with the GTS EPS. Have had it for a few weeks now. Weighting is nice and the rubbery feeling isn't there anymore. I use comfort exclusively since the change.

I'm going to change back to standard soon to see how much of this is placebo...
Appreciate 1
hakcar62.50
      05-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #14
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic75 View Post
So far happy with the GTS EPS. Have had it for a few weeks now. Weighting is nice and the rubbery feeling isn't there anymore. I use comfort exclusively since the change.

I am so tempted to get this done - I find the steering a bit vague, even in sport+. Just have to work out where I can get a power supply from and where I could do it. Have a couple of friends I could ask - just need the power supply.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #15
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I am so tempted to get this done - I find the steering a bit vague, even in sport+. Just have to work out where I can get a power supply from and where I could do it. Have a couple of friends I could ask - just need the power supply.
Another F-series BMW should be a pretty safe makeshift PSU. I just turn on my wife's m235i, attach jumper cables, and I'm good to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #16
hakcar
**on hiatus**
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Any running car (assuming its alternator works properly) and a pair of jumper cables will make do, but a PSU is only necessary if you're doing an I-STEP upgrade (or a fair bit of ECU firmware flashes). Having your GTS steering doesn't warrant it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 03:55 PM   #17
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Did you previously use comfort exclusively as well?
      05-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #18
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

My issue with my current stock steering is that in comfort there is a big dead zone at center and sport feels really nice around town and on the highway but during high speed turns the weight loads up too much and it feels artificial. Is this fixed with the gts steering flash?
      05-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #19
mechanic75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3cs

Quote:
Here's my observations posted previously.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=33

To try and get a like for like I am using comfort all the time. You have little to lose by trying it. I would also suggest getting a software update from Bmw before hand, maybe before the coding and see how you get on.
Appreciate 1
hakcar62.50
      05-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #20
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Here's my observations posted previously.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=33

To try and get a like for like I am using comfort all the time. You have little to lose by trying it. I would also suggest getting a software update from Bmw before hand, maybe before the coding and see how you get on.
This was actually the only feedback I have already read haha

Thank you though
      05-02-2017, 05:04 PM   #21
eltoshan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M4

Is there anything else that needs to be done to convert to F87CS steering other than switching the variantencodierng normal to F87CS in FDL coding the CAFD file? That's the only thing I had changed in the EPS module CAFD, want to make sure I didn't miss something.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #22
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
My issue with my current stock steering is that in comfort there is a big dead zone at center and sport feels really nice around town and on the highway but during high speed turns the weight loads up too much and it feels artificial. Is this fixed with the gts steering flash?
Bump