European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #23
boi222
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3m competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgfunk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi222 View Post
I think zcp start up sounds better and burbles are nice but for whatever reason, the non zcp sounded louder on the road not sure if it was just the change from 2015 to 2018 overall or it was the zcp... but definitely my 2015 non zcp sounded a lot more louder on the streets .... zcp I would have to push really hard to get any volume
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post
I definitely noticed this too..at WOT, the ZCP exhaust is pretty quiet. I am tuned (with burbles) and while the burbles and braps sound better with the ZCP rear section, but the overall volume is lower that my original non-ZCP muffler. However, it is WAY more refined sounding IMO. Personally, I'll take the refinement over the volume since the car sounds like crap.

At startup, there's no competition (see what I did there ), the ZCP sounds much deeper and more aggressive.
Agree with you both. My non-ZCP + AA mid setup was significantly louder, especially at WOT. My current ZCP + AA mid sounds more deep and refined but doesn't reach the same volume levels as before. However, I much prefer the tone of the current ZCP despite being more quiet.
Yea but the only thing is if your just cruising in sport + and not pushing it ... it so damn quiet ... at least with the non zcp ... there was some umph to it even at slow speeds ... with city driving unless you drive like an asshole (gunning from light to light)... I can barely hear anything
'12 M3 coupe
'09 335xi coupe
'07 328xi coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #24
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi222 View Post
Yea but the only thing is if your just cruising in sport + and not pushing it ... it so damn quiet ... at least with the non zcp ... there was some umph to it even at slow speeds ... with city driving unless you drive like an asshole (gunning from light to light)... I can barely hear anything
I know mid-pipes are mostly a waste, but may get the AA just to open the sound back up again.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 01:34 PM   #25
Jbellah
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I have the m performance exhaust and it sounds different and better in my opinion over the zcp.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #26
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbellah View Post
I have the m performance exhaust and it sounds different and better in my opinion over the zcp.
Right, but the M Performance exhaust is multi thousands of dollars (and has all sorts of cracking issues), and the ZCP mufflercost me $150...which ends up being $50 after I sold my non-ZCP muffler for $100.

Also, the point of this thread is to compare the ZCP muffler for non-ZCP cars as - believe it or not- there are many of us choose not to spend multi-thousands of dollars on exhausts that really don't add any power or benefit outside of sound. We just want the more refined tone of the ZCP cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 02:00 AM   #27
Cloud IX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Quickest Stock Turbo F8X

Definitely not the same. When I did my Euro delivery they did a presentation and they noted the differences. The ZCP is basically a straight pipe when the valves are open. He also said the ZCP Exhaust is basically a M Performance without the Titanium.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 10:52 AM   #28
Deteria
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I can guarantee whoever attempting to swap base M4 to a ZCP muffler that u will not make much of a difference in sound. The variance might just be in your head, and they are essentially 95% the same minus different colored tips. People that say they sound different are not comparing apples to apples (different age of exhaust muffler, not broken in). The sound difference between Base and ZCP is the tune. If you want more than that, start changing out mid pipes / axleback / downpipes or just get a catback exhaust.

Honestly just save up $ and get a legit system. Talk with vendors and they usually give you a decent discount too. I got my Agency Power setup for $2600 (bit on a low end cost wise for a valved catback setup) and it looks and sounds just like Armytrix but not titanium build material. Other systems are in the 3-4k range. An aftermarket exhaust system will sound way better than trying to modify / hacking up an OEM exhaust.
2015 Black Sapphire F82 M4: Bootmod3 Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT TCU DIFF Flash / Remus Catback / VRSF Charge & J Pipe / MST Intakes / Mishimoto TMIC / RK Autowerks Crank Hub / Apex VS-5RS 19x9.5 ET22 19x10.5 ET45 / Powerflex Bushings / MSS HAS / Evolve x Bilstein B6 Damptronic / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Hotchkis Sways
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #29
PayamFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP YMB

AA + ZCP rear can sounds great , better than non ZCP rear

2018 F80 ZCP 6MT YMB/SO
2015 F82 M4 6MT AW/SO - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #30
zameer77
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4

New to the forum here...I just bought a 2018 m4 but it was factory ordered without the competition package but it has the m titanium exhaust (not sure why they ordered it that way because it has every single other package as well including carbon exterior etc.) This was the manager's car and I got a great deal because it's also manual so I took it. It was significantly cheaper than getting a new one with the competition package. I won't get it until the end of September when my current lease ends and I'm getting a little anxious that it won't sound that great given it's not a competition package even though it has the titanium exhaust. I only had a very short test drive due to my time limitation. I'm coming from a jaguar f-type with lots of crackles and pops etc. Any thoughts or reassurance??
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #31
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep
Drives: Tardis

Hey,

No.

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #32
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud IX View Post
Definitely not the same. When I did my Euro delivery they did a presentation and they noted the differences. The ZCP is basically a straight pipe when the valves are open. He also said the ZCP Exhaust is basically a M Performance without the Titanium.
That person gave you incorrect info.

The base and ZCP exhaust have minor if any real differences. The base, ZCP, and M Performance exhaust all are almost like straight pipes when valves are open but some exhaust gases still pass through the mufflers.

The ZCP muffler is definitely not the same as an M Performance muffler in more ways than just the material (shape, size, sound, etc).
Appreciate 0