Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

07-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
CrazyT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

TN to WA in early November. How's the weather?

So I plan to do a road trip in my M4 the first week of November. I'm taking it from TN to WA, and ideally once into the west, not on any interstate. It's been awhile since I've been in UT, so figured head west through CO into UT, then up into ID and western side of MT, then head west to Seattle. It's been 15 years or so I've been able to hit US-12 Lolo pass in ID/MT, so it's on my list.

I have RE-71 tires, with 0% interest in getting winter tires. I'm currently out of CONUS and will be keeping the car at my folk's place for awhile. The schedule is based off of a track day I would like to attend but would rather move the drive earlier than buy winter tires.

What's the weather that time of year in the mountains? Keep it to low elevations? Obviously with the RE-71s, any snow is a no-no.

My registration is due in June 2018, and I won't be able to renew the TN plates as it requires an inspection. I figured I'd just register it in WA next year. Since it'll be in King County, you guys still doing that ridiculous RTA tax next year?

Thanks
      07-10-2017, 03:03 AM   #2
Howard_R
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 Sakhir Orange M4

The weather will be hit and miss at that time of year. Occasionally we will get an early snowfall and the ski areas will open in early December. If you are going to be going in early November you probably will be okay.

And yes, they are jacking up taxes as fast as possible in WA. The $54 billion RTA tax passed, so you'll really see that when you go to register the M4 - it's based on the purchase price of your car - not the current value. King county also just passed another massive budget increase which will hit you in your property taxes if you buy a home - I think property taxes will be going up 7-8%. And the wacky Seattle City Council is in the process of passing a resolution to implement an income tax even though it is against the WA state constitution - they are hoping to get to the supreme court to get it into law.

Oh, welcome to WA!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 01:00 AM   #3
katchup
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Lived in Idaho my entire life, recently just moved to the PNW and have driven the ID to WA route many times. I def would not recommend that drive in Nov with your car and those tires. The blues are a nightmare and even if there is no snow, its notorious for black ice.
Individual Hellrot ZCP E92 M3(sold)
Appreciate 1
F831355.50
      07-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
Xerxes480
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchup View Post
Lived in Idaho my entire life, recently just moved to the PNW and have driven the ID to WA route many times. I def would not recommend that drive in Nov with your car and those tires. The blues are a nightmare and even if there is no snow, its notorious for black ice.
Second this. Mountain passes could be really sketchy in November, especially without winter tires. If you must make the trip, spend the money on some good winter tires and bring lots of patience.

Welcome to the PNW!

-X-
Appreciate 0