Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-14-2017, 03:17 AM   #67
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
Maybe someone can code the DOT laws
I support this message.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 10:46 PM   #68
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
Has anyone successfully coded an '18 with icon headlights?
one of the coders replied "no" to this question posed by me

so, again, has anyone w/ an '18 and the new LED's coded anti-dazzle/EU??

if not possible, we'd be better off with the old LED's.

don't understand less functionality...or the DOT laws, especially since laser lights are already approved

I'll just add that my lights seem way brighter than the LED's on my wife's '17 Jag XF...those lights suck; they seem even worse than xenons
      10-14-2017, 11:07 PM   #69
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkeng View Post

don't understand less functionality...or the DOT laws, especially since laser lights are already approved

I'll just add that my lights seem way brighter than the LED's on my wife's '17 Jag XF...those lights suck; they seem even worse than xenons
It wasn’t supposed to be less functionality. New Admin decided not to finalize the long overdue FMVSS reform because it’s “a “bad deal for America.”” Laser Headlights are under FDA not DoT.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 11:50 PM   #70
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkeng View Post

The last few pages of this thread seem to indicate that people have successfully coded anti-dazzle in 2018 M3s. Should be the same for M4 too. I am not a coder so my comprehension is limited at best and YMMV.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...086530&page=56

Der strkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #71
Bigsurprise
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP

I have had my 2018 M3 since 9/9/2017. I drive at night 4 days per week and I have not noticed the cornering lights turning on/off. My lights DO swivel when I turn the wheel, but I have not seen any additional lights illuminate the sides.

I have noticed these headlights seem very wide. When I drive in the slow lane I can see everything in the shoulder very well. It's clear to me there are still many different LED arrays being used. If there are cornering lights, I feel they might be on all the time.

'18 M3 - 6mt - BPM Stage 1 gone
'15 335i gone
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 07:21 AM   #72
Emcee
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M3

Any one outside the US got the new ICON lights care to chime in?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 06:38 AM   #73
juggsy
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

I've been trying to figure out how the cornering lights work on my UK spec 440i GC with Adaptive Icon LEDs. The instructions imply a separate light, but after having a play when parked up by having the lights on auto and activating an indicator. The LED fog illuminates but not a dedicated light within the cluster.

I can't see how this will help on a corner, is it angled somehow or a separate light to the actual fog light? On my previous MK7 Golf you could see the lights operate when turning a corner at low speed, which were within the light clusters and pointed towards the corners. It's a shame this isn't the same on the BMW which makes negligible difference on corners that I could see compared to the Golf.

From the manual if anyone is interested:

"In sharp turns up to a specified speed, for example in hairpin bends or when cornering, a cornering light is added that better illuminates the inside area of the bend.
The cornering light is activated automatically depending on the steering angle or use of the turn indicators.
The cornering light may be activated automatically when driving in reverse, irrespective of the steering angle."
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 06:52 AM   #74
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggsy View Post
I've been trying to figure out how the cornering lights work on my UK spec 440i GC with Adaptive Icon LEDs. The instructions imply a separate light, but after having a play when parked up by having the lights on auto and activating an indicator. The LED fog illuminates but not a dedicated light within the cluster.

I can't see how this will help on a corner, is it angled somehow or a separate light to the actual fog light? On my previous MK7 Golf you could see the lights operate when turning a corner at low speed, which were within the light clusters and pointed towards the corners. It's a shame this isn't the same on the BMW which makes negligible difference on corners that I could see compared to the Golf.

From the manual if anyone is interested:

"In sharp turns up to a specified speed, for example in hairpin bends or when cornering, a cornering light is added that better illuminates the inside area of the bend.
The cornering light is activated automatically depending on the steering angle or use of the turn indicators.
The cornering light may be activated automatically when driving in reverse, irrespective of the steering angle."
With the lights in auto and your car at a stop, turn on your turn signal(doesn't matter which way) or put your car into reverse and watch the cornering light function turn on. The lights HAVE to be in Auto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #75
Emcee
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
With the lights in auto and your car at a stop, turn on your turn signal(doesn't matter which way) or put your car into reverse and watch the cornering light function turn on. The lights HAVE to be in Auto.
This is correct, but the new ICON lights do not have the cornering lights. This is adaptive light specific (ICON vs non-ICON).
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #76
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcee View Post
This is correct, but the new ICON lights do not have the cornering lights. This is adaptive light specific (ICON vs non-ICON).
I'll have to double check on this. I'm pretty sure I saw the cornering lights in the corner of the cluster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 10:59 AM   #77
juggsy
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Cheers, yes I got this working as you described already, my post was more on the effectiveness of using the fogs as cornering lights rather than a dedicated light positioned correctly in the cluster as per my previous Golf. I'm surprised the icon Adaptive leds don't have this
Appreciate 0