Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-17-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
Bonovox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Manual Transmission Reviewed

He likes DCT better

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=29973

"But we’re die-hards, right? Hence the PH beachtowel going down on the sinister black coupe. Rowing a stick shift around on a car as tech-laden as this does seem a little anachronistic truth be told. And though it’s better than many it’s still a very BMW manual shift, which is to say a bit rubbery and somewhat off the pace of the rest of the car."

"Hand on (heavy) heart it’s the cherry on the top of the cake and while it’s great there’s still a manual option the M3/M4 is all about the complete package. And the DCT makes it that"
      05-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonovox View Post
He likes DCT better

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=29973

"But we’re die-hards, right? Hence the PH beachtowel going down on the sinister black coupe. Rowing a stick shift around on a car as tech-laden as this does seem a little anachronistic truth be told. And though it’s better than many it’s still a very BMW manual shift, which is to say a bit rubbery and somewhat off the pace of the rest of the car."

"Hand on (heavy) heart it’s the cherry on the top of the cake and while it’s great there’s still a manual option the M3/M4 is all about the complete package. And the DCT makes it that"
Today, add tech bits that may or may not individually enhance car performance but the bits combine to create a "logic" that even more tech, an automatic transmission in this model's instance, is better for the model.
Not too long ago, the same "logic" wasn't employed when low tech M cars began to get a "high tech" automatic tranny option. Why not?
      05-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge View Post
Today, add tech bits that may or may not individually enhance car performance but the bits combine to create a "logic" that even more tech, an automatic transmission in this model's instance, is better for the model.
Not too long ago, the same "logic" wasn't employed when low tech M cars began to get a "high tech" automatic tranny option. Why not?
I think the answer lies in PH's description of the MT. "Rubbery and off the pace"... With a better MT, their choice might have been different?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Bonovox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

I think that's right. Accepting the dual nature of this new car, being one with it, means I think, DCT. I have like another day to decide.
      05-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
BlackCobra08
King Cobra
Rep
Drives: incoming GTS 4.0

that whole "it's rubbery" complaint pisses me off, of course it is it, the bushings need at least a couple thousand miles to break in. The bimmerpost review picked the MT over DCT so I really don't care what anyone else says. Fact of the matter is, if this car didn't have a MT, I probably wouldn't buy it. Although if I were to buy the big beast F10, I'd get the DCT cause a manual with that car is less nimble.

Last edited by BlackCobra08; 05-17-2014 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
I think the answer lies in PH's description of the MT. "Rubbery and off the pace"... With a better MT, their choice might have been different?
So in the event that BMW had an NSX shnick shnick type shifter/gearbox instead of said "rubbery and off the pace" gearbox, would that be the better match for this car?
      05-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I just do my best to not allow the reviews to sway my original choice of MT. Its tough when people you respect like Harris (a manual die-hard) says the DCT is the way to go.

But I read a comment on this site yesterday that really stuck with me, wish I could give the commentator credit. Something about not missing an auto when he owned a manual but really missing a manual when he owned an auto. MT for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
24M
Private
Rep
Drives: Future M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
I just do my best to not allow the reviews to sway my original choice of MT. Its tough when people you respect like Harris (a manual die-hard) says the DCT is the way to go.

But I read a comment on this site yesterday that really stuck with me, wish I could give the commentator credit. Something about not missing an auto when he owned a manual but really missing a manual when he owned an auto. MT for me.
Who ever said that clearly doesn't drive every day in heavy traffic. No one should buy an m3 for a weekend cruiser. BMWs are not made for that. They are made for DD practicality.

If you want a weekend cruiser go buy a ferrari, lambo, r8, zr1, viper, GT3 etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24M View Post
Who ever said that clearly doesn't drive every day in heavy traffic. No one should buy an m3 for a weekend cruiser. BMWs are not made for that. They are made for DD practicality.

If you want a weekend cruiser go buy a ferrari, lambo, r8, zr1, viper, GT3 etc...
I drive every day in heavy traffic and I feel the same. It's just different things for different people, that's all, no harm in that.
Instagram: IMrMark
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
I have and race manual cars and the DCT gives nothing up to me in fun. Snapping off 5 downshifts on an off ramp into a hairpin is an everyday pleasure that turns a commute into a smile.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #11
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

The shifters in the vast majority of cars I've had over the years pretty much sucked, which is a big reason why I'm going DCT.
      05-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #12
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I think Piston head said it best: DCT is better 6MT more hardcore. After driving an F32 w/8zf for the past few days I really found out how much more I would rather have DCT than 6MT but I just want to have a 6MT car in my life and this might be the last opportunity to do so.
      05-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
if you need car reviews to decide which gearbox you want----you're doing it wrong!
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post

yea that was a tough one lol
      05-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #15
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
if you need car reviews to decide which gearbox you want----you're doing it wrong!
But if you're on the fence good reviews can kind of sway you, since some of us won't have the opportunity to test drive both trannys before getting our cars
      05-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #16
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
But if you're on the fence good reviews can kind of sway you, since some of us won't have the opportunity to test drive both trannys before getting our cars
I drive like a total idiot without a manual, so the decision was easy for me. As far as the reviews goes, they can shit pricks for all I care, as long as I don't have to drive an other foot with my other hand pointing to the sealing of a car just to keep from cussing and from the search of the stick.

I'm fully aware how pathetic I am, and I would need a smiley to match this feeling.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #17
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup
Quote:
Sort of....but as someone who has owned a DCT car in the past as well as manuals-----IMO either you want a manual or you don't. That's kind of the way I see this whole gearbox equation----at least in terms of discussion within an enthusiast model like the M3/M4.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #18
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian

Exactly my sentiments.
      05-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #19
ThomasM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I'm pretty torn myself. I have the 6MT on order but I'm 51/49 split. All these reviews saying DCT is the way to go really have me considering switching.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #20
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Sort of....but as someone who has owned a DCT car in the past as well as manuals-----IMO either you want a manual or you don't. That's kind of the way I see this whole gearbox equation----at least in terms of discussion within an enthusiast model like the M3/M4.
See I have owned neither but I did drive both often, I also rented a 6MT 996 for a weekend. It was fun and I had the time of my life but when I took it for a mountain I wished I did not have to take my hands off the steering wheel for some of the hairpins. On the other hand DCT is a $3000 option and adds 88lbs (correct me if i'm wrong) to the car.

At the end of the day I'm happy with my decision, and look forward to learning how to heel-toe. If I don't like the 6MT, at lease-end I'll just sell the car and get into an LCI model w/DCT
      05-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #21
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
I drive like a total idiot without a manual, so the decision was easy for me. As far as the reviews goes, they can shit pricks for all I care, as long as I don't have to drive an other foot with my other hand pointing to the sealing of a car just to keep from cussing and from the search of the stick.

I'm fully aware how pathetic I am, and I would need a smiley to match this feeling.

I can't imagine how frustrated you must get driving that Q7 lol
      05-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #22
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

I'm getting the DCT myself but there are lots of good reasons to get the manual. If anyone is on the fence, there are plenty of informative threads on this topic in the engine forum. The best one of the bunch is CanAutM3'a

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=949959

The manual is significantly lighter and may have better ratios. For me at least, The car just seems to be too fast to keep up with it with a manual. Kudos to you if you can. If you have your heart set on one, however, I wouldn't let these limited reviews talk you out of one.