EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

04-22-2017, 11:16 PM   #1
niobiumninetythree
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4

vehicle MIA during transportation at port

Hi guys, my first post in here. Glad to join the group. I don't know if I am just over-reacting or something but, here is what happened. I've ordered a 2018 M4 and thanks to Bimmerpost I was able to track my car coming in to Canada step by step. Everything went smooth as I saw my car getting off the port and showed up on the truck carrier tracking website preparing to be transported to Toronto (for some reason it did not go through the train system, but planned for direct truck carrier to Toronto from Halifax). Just while I was counting down the days and checking the tracking, I found the status of my car from "Dispatched" to "On Hold". The expected pick up time has also disappeared. I emailed the truck company (I don't even know if I had the right to do so) and they did kindly responded me saying that my car is "not located when the carrier went in for the pick up". He also said that they have to go through 10 000 cars to find my car which may take a couple of days. Does anyone have such experience on what I can do besides waiting, and how long would it take for them to find my car? I know that ships come in everyday, dropping hundreds of cars. I really don't want to see my car getting buried in piles of cars and take them forever to find. Again I apologize that since this is my first time encountering such problem, I might be over-reacting to a small matter. Thanks everyone for your help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-22-2017, 11:25 PM   #2
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

contact your dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 06:37 AM   #3
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Yes, dealer is your best option, but by the time they find anything out, situation will likely have changed. Chances are everything is fine and car will arrive before due date. They seem to send most M cars by truck, which is better than train. You may just be on next truck.

Having suffered through 4 redeliveries from ED (now waiting for #5) all I can tell you is car eventually shows up.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 06:45 AM   #4
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by niobiumninetythree View Post
I know that ships come in everyday, dropping hundreds of cars.
For BMW, it is roughly once a week into Halifax and I doubt there are 10,000 cars sitting there. Also, I can't believe the truck has to drive around looking for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

I think you are over reacting. I know its exciting buying a new car, but I would bet things like this happen ALL the time and people just did not know before.

You want to know "what can you do"... I dont believe there is anything you can do at all. You could call people, write emails, etc... whats that going to do, make people drop what they are doing to look for your car?

If your car passes what was supposed to be your delivery date at your dealer, THATs where you should call, but not before then. It may be fun to track your car, but that does not give you the right to start bugging everyone under the sun just because you cant find it for a few days

Thats my opinion anyway. Full disclosure, I am an IT professional by trade, but even I think that sometimes there is "too much" access to certain things. I think its cool people can track their cars from "birth" to dealer, but I DONT think that gives anyone the right to call their dealer when their car "misses a ship" or gets held in the VPC for a few extra days.

All that information is for "entertainment purposes only" in my opinion, and certainly is nothing to get upset over unless your car is 2+weeks late at the dealer. THEN someone should start worrying... before that, not so much in my opinion.
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

If you ordered the ultimate or carbon package or mpe. The parts are port installed and will take a while for them to install it. that is why they will put it on hold until the shop at the port is done with the car. Also, if you car is coming back from ED, it will have to wait for customs clearance inspection and that could take an extra week.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 07:39 AM   #7
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
the power of information can many times be our worst enemy. It's fun tracking the car but these systems are mediocre at best and all it takes is someone to fat finger an entry and the status changes. The actual process is likely moving along very smoothly but because you can see something that looks incorrect it can cause a bunch of heartburn for us. I would contact the dealer or BMW Genius and ask them for an update then stay off that website for a few days and my guess is your car will cruise along to its final destination smoothly.

PS - i was the exact same way so i can sympathize with you because my car got stuck in Germany for 2 months with the diff debacle last summer. I drove myself, BMW, and my dealer nuts when I saw a slight change but then nothing following it up. My friend at the dealer finally bitch slapped(not really) me and said calm down, your car is moving and we will have it soon lol. They were right and I had my car even a little sooner than I expected.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #8
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

^ This sums it up. Expect to get your car 6-8 weeks from when you dropped it off. Don't stress about it.
All CDN ED cars are picked up by Hansen trucking in Halifax, ED cars don't take the train.

If I go back and look at my shipping report, the order and consignment date was Sept 8th, the actual truck pickup date was Sept 15th and delivery at my dealer was Sept 19th. Re-delivery for me was on Sept 20th.

Last edited by 2kaccordocoupe; 04-25-2017 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0