Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #89
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalkp
I've owned both the 981 Cayman S/RS5 and test drove the new M3. I would say if you are looking to get the most driving pleasure out of a car the Cayman is the way to go.

IMO, the best looking car is still the RS5 and the best all-around car will be the M3/M4. Out of all the cars I've owned I've never seen so many random thumbs up from people when I was driving my RS5.

The Cayman's flat 6 engine sound with the PSE is just ridiculous. Also, for the people who are saying that the Cayman cannot be a daily driver has probably never owned one. The front trunk is pretty big and then there's the space in the back as well. You won't be able to fit a set of golf clubs but for the average day to day driving there's enough space.

Saying all that, if you are looking for a car that can do everything, that will probably be the M3. The low end torque just makes it more usable in dailly driving situations. If I had to choose a car that was not 4 doors I would choose the Cayman, but I do need to get a car with 4 doors that's why I'll be ordering a M3 once they start accepting orders for BMW Individual colors.
The RS5 looks so boring! I'd rather have that package in a Camry. The best looking Audis are the Avants, of which we get dicked over on in the States. Would kill for an RS4/6 Avant.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #90
BlackSaphire
Rep
Drives: Posh Kaen

These comparos are always amusing.

Comparing a purpose built sports car like Cayman to a factory-improved 3 series is like comparing a 16 oz steak from a local diner to a 10 oz prime steak from a high end steakhouse and declaring the larger steak the winner based on portion size and price.

'1st place. Neighborhood Diner. You get more at the diner for your 19.95: bigger portion, included mashed potatoes with gravy and a free desert thrown in for early birds.

'2nd place. Prime Steakhouse. While we enjoyed the buttery smooth, expertly prepared piece of the best prime beef available, the portions were much smaller than at the diner, at 10 oz, and you pay to play: for 49.95 it's all ala cart, you pay extra for mashed potatoes, spinach, mushrooms and desert. Our verdict was easy: you can get a pretty good, and more of it, steak at the diner, for a lot less. And we loved our free brownie.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #91
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gins View Post
The RS5 looks so boring! I'd rather have that package in a Camry. The best looking Audis are the Avants, of which we get dicked over on in the States. Would kill for an RS4/6 Avant.
So members of this forum would rather drive a camry than a RS5 and wouldn't take a RS5 even if it were given to them.

Note to self: people on this forum have really good taste! And I should take everything they have to say seriously
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #92
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSaphire View Post

Comparing a purpose built sports car like Cayman to a factory-improved 3 series is like comparing a 16 oz steak from a local diner to a 10 oz prime steak from a high end steakhouse and declaring the larger steak the winner based on portion size and price.

'1st place. Neighborhood Diner. You get more at the diner for your 19.95: bigger portion, included mashed potatoes with gravy and a free desert thrown in for early birds.

'2nd place. Prime Steakhouse. While we enjoyed the buttery smooth, expertly prepared piece of the best prime beef available, the portions were much smaller than at the diner, at 10 oz, and you pay to play: for 49.95 it's all ala cart, you pay extra for mashed potatoes, spinach, mushrooms and desert. Our verdict was easy: you can get a pretty good, and more of it, steak at the diner, for a lot less. And we loved our free brownie.
I suppose you could interpret it that way but I think your analogy is completely wrong. The M is far from the "local diner" quality. The difference is one is very good at a lot of things... and, in fact, faster... while the other is a little better at being a pure sports car. Wow, that's a surprise.

But to say it is like comparing a local diner to a prime steakhouse shows either you lack knowledge or are just putting your biased agenda forward. But, hey, you are entitled to your opinion whether it is wrong or just a little bit wrong
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #93
BlackSaphire
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post

But to say it is like comparing a local diner to a prime steakhouse shows either you lack knowledge or are just putting your biased agenda forward.
I own neither. But have driven both. Hence my unbiased opinion. You own M4, I get it.

Btw, I think M4 vert is going to be great fun, I'd buy one if I needed 4 seats over a Boxster.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #94
Lorde
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3
Quote:
So members of this forum would rather drive a camry than a RS5 and wouldn't take a RS5 even if it were given to them.

Note to self: people on this forum have really good taste! And I should take everything they have to say seriously
Would not drive an RS5. It's a cockup of a car. RS4/6 avant. Absolutely. 2 door Audis are awful.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #95
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post

I don't know. The Google Street View of that Camry is just so crisp. It's clear that you're biased against Toyotas.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #96
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:

How do you measure how good a purpose built sports car like the Cayman is?

Porsche takes their cars around the track, depending on the track, the M4 will run faster or similar lap times than a Cayman while being more pratical and cost less.

That's why the M4 wins against the Cayman in comparison tests...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #97
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Would not drive an RS5. It's a cockup of a car. RS4/6 avant. Absolutely. 2 door Audis are awful.
The B8 RS4 and the B8 RS5 both have the exact same motor. Just because you prefer the wagon version doesn't make the 2 door "awful", that's just a personal problem. I suppose you think the R8 (a 2 dr Audi) is also awful. I don't even know why I bother acknowledging such ludicrous statements.

Last edited by onatuesday; 07-12-2014 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #98
Lorde
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3
Quote:
The B8 RS4 and the B8 RS5 both have the exact same motor. Just because you prefer the wagon version doesn't make the 2 door "awful", that's just a personal problem. I suppose you think the R8 (a 2 dr Audi) is also awful. I don't even know why I bother acknowledging such ludacris statements.
I've driven the R8 in V10 and V8 trim. The V10 is a blast... The V8 is okay. The RS5 is more of a codpiece. Equivalent of someone going out and buying an X6.

And you obviously understood that it was a preference issue with not wanting two doors, so the statement couldn't have been that ludicrous.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #99
BlackSaphire
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
How do you measure how good a purpose built sports car like the Cayman is?

Porsche takes their cars around the track, depending on the track, the M4 will run faster or similar lap times than a Cayman while being more pratical and cost less.

That's why the M4 wins against the Cayman in comparison tests...
There's more to a car than lap times, practicality and cost. Otherwise we'd all be driving a Mustang GT500.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #100
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
I own neither. But have driven both. Hence my unbiased opinion. You own M4, I get it.

Btw, I think M4 vert is going to be great fun, I'd buy one if I needed 4 seats over a Boxster.
You are correct. I own an M4. I also have owned a lot of similar cars, tracked all of them and also have driven lots of brands I don't own at the track. My point being is that, although I own an M4, I'm pretty much a whore of all cars and don't really have a bias one way or the other. In my experience, your assessment is incorrect and, IMO, anyone who likens an M4 to a local diner and a Cayman to a fine steakhouse by comparison is demonstrating a lack of true appreciation for both of those cars and/or real bias.

I do believe the Cayman is better than the M in some ways. The M is better in others. Your ridiculous analogy is my issue and, in my view, means you don't have a lot if credibility because only someone who has an agenda would make such a ridiculous claim... IMO
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #101
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:

I own a Cayman S. Drove an M3. IMO, the Cayman is better, but the difference is not analogous (not even close) to what you stated.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #102
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

1. Cayman s
2. M4
3. Rs5
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #103
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
The B8 RS4 and the B8 RS5 both have the exact same motor. Just because you prefer the wagon version doesn't make the 2 door "awful", that's just a personal problem. I suppose you think the R8 (a 2 dr Audi) is also awful. I don't even know why I bother acknowledging such ludacris statements.
Ludacris! He drives an RS5? We'll that changes everything!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #104
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Ludacris! He drives an RS5? We'll that changes everything!
If you're going to be a clown at least try to be funny? I can respect a troll who is at least funny.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #105
PeterK916
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 AW/BB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
You are correct. I own an M4. I also have owned a lot of similar cars, tracked all of them and also have driven lots of brands I don't own at the track. My point being is that, although I own an M4, I'm pretty much a whore of all cars and don't really have a bias one way or the other. In my experience, your assessment is incorrect and, IMO, anyone who likens an M4 to a local diner and a Cayman to a fine steakhouse by comparison is demonstrating a lack of true appreciation for both of those cars and/or real bias.

I do believe the Cayman is better than the M in some ways. The M is better in others. Your ridiculous analogy is my issue and, in my view, means you don't have a lot if credibility because only someone who has an agenda would make such a ridiculous claim... IMO
You have had a nice stable of cars you went through! Mind if I ask why you settled on M4 for now? How did you like the Stingray and C63 AMG? Since I was cross shopping those as well. What made you move out of them so quickly?

I am sure many of us have cross shopped between the vehicles we are talking about Cayman, S/RS5, C63, Corvette Stingray and I am always curious for what reasons people pick what they do.
      07-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #106
Murph335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 N54 e90, '10 N54 e93, TBSS

Garage List
2015 Tesla P85D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy
If you read the review, the Porsche really won, just like in the previous comparo. BMW edges out overall for flexibility, but Porsche wins the categories that matter most.
A cayman, boxster, carrera, never win in any measuring contest because there is always 911tt . To me Those lesser models look like they are missing 911tt pieces to cut costs. Do porsche right or drive a BMW Lol

I like how aggressive the f8x look in relation to everything else!
      07-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #107
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph335 View Post
A cayman, boxster, carrera, never win in any measuring contest because there is always 911tt . To me Those lesser models look like they are missing 911tt pieces to cut costs. Do porsche right or drive a BMW Lol

I like how aggressive the f8x look in relation to everything else!
This is the answer, everyone is looking for!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #108
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerj View Post
This is the answer, everyone is looking for!
I hope your being sarcastic.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #109
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
I never did understand that argument. Yeah, I want a performance car but I hate having to shift to pass someone on the highway. Dropping 2 gears and punching it through a hole in traffic is one of the most enjoyable aspects of driving my car.
There's a big difference between passing someone at 8,000RPM and passing someone at 2,300RPM in 7th gear.

People always ask if my supercharged M3 makes my 335is feel slow and the honest answer is no, in the real world on an average day the 335is still feels like a beast because it makes 369lb/ft of torque around 2,000rpm. On the freeway, there is honestly never a gap I can't get into while staying in 7th gear making almost no noise. It's just a different experience, and I think having a ton of torque makes a car more enjoyable in day-to-day driving situations.

The purpose of those tests is to show that, while two cars may accelerate similarly when in the optimal gear, one of them may have a big advantage when in higher gears. You may not care about this, but I think it's important.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #110
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M sa View Post
Which is what? Track use two seater? Sure let me spend 90k for a car that is for track only, who gives a f I work for a living and need a DD/track car.
Cayman S is no track only 2 seater. The interior is more plush and upscale than M3, the refinement is on level of 5 series and above and very compliant on rough roads. If someone wants a 4 seats than a throughbred sports car sure M3 wins the category but you cannot beat physics of a mid engine car and extra 1000 lbs