European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

View Poll Results: Would you spend money to clear bra and tint on a lease car?
Keep it looking good! Clear bra and tint! 28 30.43%
Spend that cash on something else! 64 69.57%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

12-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #45
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
So I am assuming all of the people saying it's a waste of money to clear bra a leased car do not mod their leased cars...
Mods can for the most part be resold. If you are leasing and do not intend to buy out the car at lease end, you get nothing back from a clear bra other than keeping the car paint nice for the next owner.

If you bought an exhaust, tune, wheels, diffuser, etc the car can be put back to stock, and you can at least attempt to sell them for something back.

But it's all up to the individual, my opinion is it is a waste to put a clear bra on a lease. Mods...depending on how crazy you get, are fairly easy to recoupe some of the cost back at lease end.

But I see no issue either way if people really want a clear bra. Even if leasing, you're still paying for it for 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
a clear bra on a leased car is like buying a hooker a nice hand bag.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 12-02-2017 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #46
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

No way on a leased car ........small chips are considered wear and tear. My M4 three year old this summer no chips and no condom on the car. Tint for me is always apart of the deal beforehand it leaves the dealer. Good luck, it only do it if you plan on purchasing.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #47
elias
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I have leased cars for over 10 years and I've never had a problem at Lease turn in, dealers never hassle me on normal wear and tear. I garage my car so its
in pretty good condition at lease end. So no I wouldn't waste my money on a Clear bra but I do tint my windows thats a must in my book.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #48
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBGOD View Post
Quote:
So I am assuming all of the people saying it's a waste of money to clear bra a leased car do not mod their leased cars...
Mods can for the most part be resold. If you are leasing and do not intend to buy out the car at lease end, you get nothing back from a clear bra other than keeping the car paint nice for the next owner.

If you bought an exhaust, tune, wheels, diffuser, etc the car can be put back to stock, and you can at least attempt to sell them for something back.

But it's all up to the individual, my opinion is it is a waste to put a clear bra on a lease. Mods...depending on how crazy you get, are fairly easy to recoupe some of the cost back at lease end.

But I see no issue either way if people really want a clear bra. Even if leasing, you're still paying for it for 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
a clear bra on a leased car is like buying a hooker a nice hand bag.
Even if you sell the mod you are still likely losing 50% or so of their value. Essentially, you are spending money to enjoy something for the duration of your ownership which is fine. No different than a clear bra. Instead of viewing it as "preserving the paint for the next owner" it should be viewed as keeping the paint blemish free to enhance ownership pleasure for the current owner. 3 years of a rock chip free front bumper are surely worth the $500 or so cost of a clear bra to most enthusiasts.

I think the lease vs own difference is much more of a mental barricade than an actual one. The truth is most people who buy probably don't keep the car materially longer than those who lease yet the feeling of it being "mine" as opposed to "I'm renting it" is what drives these discussions.
Appreciate 1
boss2k1090.00
      12-02-2017, 10:53 AM   #49
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Quote:
That's a poor assumption. Ppf, ceramic coatings and tint are sunk costs. You can't take it off and sell it on the forums prior to lease swap or lease turn in. Intake, exhaust, wheel spacers, diffusers, etc. can be taken off sold and stock parts put back on car.
In either case there is still a "use" cost. You can spend $500 on ppf for your bumper and enjoy a blemish-free ride for 3 years. Keeping your bumper protected cost you $500 over 3 years. You can also buy an exhaust for your car for $1,000 and enjoy it over the lease term and sell it at the end of the lease for $500. You enjoyed a nice exhaust sound for 3 years at a net cost of $500. What's the difference??
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #50
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's a poor assumption. Ppf, ceramic coatings and tint are sunk costs. You can't take it off and sell it on the forums prior to lease swap or lease turn in. Intake, exhaust, wheel spacers, diffusers, etc. can be taken off sold and stock parts put back on car.
In either case there is still a "use" cost. You can spend $500 on ppf for your bumper and enjoy a blemish-free ride for 3 years. Keeping your bumper protected cost you $500 over 3 years. You can also buy an exhaust for your car for $1,000 and enjoy it over the lease term and sell it at the end of the lease for $500. You enjoyed a nice exhaust sound for 3 years at a net cost of $500. What's the difference??
Difference = Labor cost to install and uninstall exhaust + PITA of storing stock exhaust.
      12-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #51
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Even if you sell the mod you are still likely losing 50% or so of their value. Essentially, you are spending money to enjoy something for the duration of your ownership which is fine. No different than a clear bra. Instead of viewing it as "preserving the paint for the next owner" it should be viewed as keeping the paint blemish free to enhance ownership pleasure for the current owner. 3 years of a rock chip free front bumper are surely worth the $500 or so cost of a clear bra to most enthusiasts.

I think the lease vs own difference is much more of a mental barricade than an actual one. The truth is most people who buy probably don't keep the car materially longer than those who lease yet the feeling of it being "mine" as opposed to "I'm renting it" is what drives these discussions.
Point is, even at 50% value you are still getting a monetary value back in your pocket in the end. With a clear bra on a lease, you are not. You don't get to resell the clear bra, it stays with the car/next owner.

Now sure, if it enhances your personal enjoyment for the duration of the lease then by all means clear bra your car. You are in essence, as you said paying to keep your car "blemish free."

To me, normal wear and tear and a few rock chips aren't enough to hinder my experience on a daily driver that's meant to be driven. This applies to leasing or owning in my view. Wear and tear is inevitable on something you are going to drive.

Maybe some people view mods the same way as a waste as well. Either way, it's still $$ lost in the end that you are paying for for your own enjoyment. The difference however, you can still recover some of the cost from mods which the same can't be said for a clear bra.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 12-02-2017 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
backagain345.00
      12-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #52
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Appearance is more important to me than mods. But I'm superficial like that. Besides to me (for now) the car already comes modded from the factory. It's a M!!
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2017, 05:23 PM   #53
Golfster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: DD: Macan GTS, W/E: 992S

I don’t lease but even if I did I would go with clear bra. It isn’t about the turn in process or saving the car for the next owner, but keeping the car in optimal condition for my own personal enjoyment, regardless of how it is acquired, for the duration of my time with the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #54
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
I understand how these products work. It's not the same as traditional financing, full stop. It's an alternative as I stated. I pointed out one feature supporting that. I'm not claiming one is better than the other. That's a discussion I'm not interested in having. The other user was claiming equivalency which it is not.
You didn't understand my point and fully understand that leasing is more expensive that financing

What I am trying to say is leasing and financing are different methods of owning and enjoying a vehicle and even if u finance there is no guarantee u will own the car more than 5 years and most likely end up trading specially for a German car which can be expensive to maintain after warranty is over so why is it fine to mod a financed car and not a leased car, idea is to enjoy the vehicle for the period you own and not think about it as a long term rental while leasing which it's not
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #55
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfster View Post
I don’t lease but even if I did I would go with clear bra. It isn’t about the turn in process or saving the car for the next owner, but keeping the car in optimal condition for my own personal enjoyment, regardless of how it is acquired, for the duration of my time with the car.
Absolutely correct
Appreciate 2
titan739.00
      12-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #56
SEXY-BEAST
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Thank you all for the great replies-- gave me a lot to think about. I'm about to swap out my 2015 F82 for a 2018 F80 Comp Pack and I'll be leasing so wondering if I should do the clear bra. Tint is a definite.
2018 F82 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #57
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEXY-BEAST View Post
Thank you all for the great replies-- gave me a lot to think about. I'm about to swap out my 2015 F82 for a 2018 F80 Comp Pack and I'll be leasing so wondering if I should do the clear bra. Tint is a definite.
If rock chips bother you then do it!
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #58
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

In hindsight I wish I had. Rock chips really bother me for some reason.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #59
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
In hindsight I wish I had. Rock chips really bother me for some reason.
+1 and I swear the car drives better when it's clean
Appreciate 2
GotM?59.00
      12-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #60
GotM?
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3

Last edited by GotM?; 01-22-2018 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2017, 03:29 AM   #61
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotM? View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEXY-BEAST View Post
Hi all -- would you spend the $ to clear bra a lease car?
If you're looking for the right spot, please stop by and talk to Eric @Envious Detailing. Best in the biz man. He's doing my M4.
What happened to this?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 05:35 AM   #62
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Trust me, I just clear bra'd my whole car and I know I have said it's worth it to do it, but it's not! I'll rather invest that $6000 to $9000 in something else. I should've left my car just the way it was in the showroom that day. Save your money or use that money towards some parts. Hopefully you'll be able to get some of your money back once you decide to part out the car.
You know you can spend a lot less and do less than the full car, right?
      12-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #63
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
Trust me, I just clear bra'd my whole car and I know I have said it's worth it to do it, but it's not! I'll rather invest that $6000 to $9000 in something else. I should've left my car just the way it was in the showroom that day. Save your money or use that money towards some parts. Hopefully you'll be able to get some of your money back once you decide to part out the car.
Lol exactly. I spent $500 on front bumper and headlights only and am perfectly happy with that. Those are the areas that take 95% of the beating.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #64
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

Quote:
Like others I'm curious to know what happened? That's big money to pay and not be completely happy. Did you not see what the end product might look like on another vehicle before you decided to wrap your whole car?

I just got my car back from my PPF installer and while I didn't opt for the coverage you did, almost half my car is wrapped. The results are pretty damn good.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #65
GotM?
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3

Last edited by GotM?; 01-22-2018 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #66
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post
Like others I'm curious to know what happened? That's big money to pay and not be completely happy. Did you not see what the end product might look like on another vehicle before you decided to wrap your whole car?

I just got my car back from my PPF installer and while I didn't opt for the coverage you did, almost half my car is wrapped. The results are pretty damn good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
What happened to this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
That's when my car was under his care and not seeing the completed project.
I literally just met up with GotM and seen it in person.

Somethings are very inconsistent with what I generally expect, in fact what I got is a little different than his. I actually didn't have too much to tell him really. Yes not everyone looks at things 1-2 inches away but it is what it is. What I saw was inconsistent and that isn't something I generally say regarding who we are speaking of.

When you spend close to 8k on something, you do have the right to be picky. Nothing will be 100% but it was very wishy washy on his car. Some can be fixed, others is probably not salvageable. That being said. Almost all of what I saw can be fixed. The damage to the leather, scuffing is not. That's not going to be unless you straight up replace it but... not everyone (probably 99%) wouldn't bother much on the damage as it is, in the big picture, very minimal. But it is there and to an OCD person, it is just going to be there always.

I can relate to what GotM is going through and I hope thing works out.

Last edited by Arcades; 12-12-2017 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
GotM?59.00