R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #23
Andy0323
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i refuse to hear a 6 cylinder under my hood for that price. unless its a GTR or Porsche
Are you implying, you will pay MORE to hear a 6 cylinder in a GTR or Porsche than a m3/4?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #24
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0323 View Post
Are you implying, you will pay MORE to hear a 6 cylinder in a GTR or Porsche than a m3/4?
I really don't have a huge problem with 6-4 cylinder engines. but for expensive cars i feel they lack sound. when comparing to V8s.

Yes if the car offers a crazy amount of performance for the money, then i can live with it being not my favorite type of engine. like a GTR.

Porsches are just great cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #25
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerEngineer View Post
I hate to burst your bubble bigmacSmallfries, I drive BMW race cars and goto Germany often... I know most of the mechanical engineers. The new M3/M4 will have a inline twin power twinturbo engine (not a N54 or N55), possibly a B54, with output between a as yet undecided 460-475bhp & 425+btq. No triple turbo... Where you get your info is beyond me. I would not believe half of anything you read online or in magazines.
Liking the sound of this.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
BigMacSmallFries
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M5C 911 Turbo F430 GT3 RS

Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble bigmacSmallfries, I drive BMW race cars and goto Germany often... I know most of the mechanical engineers. The new M3/M4 will have a inline twin power twinturbo engine (not a N54 or N55), possibly a B54, with output between a as yet undecided 460-475bhp & 425+btq. No triple turbo... Where you get your info is beyond me. I would not believe half of anything you read online or in magazines.
Wait a sec, I recently got information from a legitimate source as well tied to the engineering department in Germany as well. Wtf! That's not what I was told.

Either way, don't shoot the messenger, I think I'm going to sit this discussion out till September when we know for sure. I'm done here.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #27
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
Hasn't it already been established that the motor will have a 414 hp / 395 lb-ft power output? This came from the official VIN information.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #28
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Hasn't it already been established that the motor will have a 414 hp / 395 lb-ft power output? This came from the official VIN information.
It's been established that BMW has built and registered M3s whose output is officially quoted at 415hp. It has not been established that the production model will have that specification.

The problem is that the VIN database technique of discovering specs is new. No one knows if, in the past, BMW preproduction models found therein always match what was eventually delivered to the public. And even if they have, we still don't know if that will hold true on this case.

Personally, I think the specs are probably a good bet, but I am not complete convinced just yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #29
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacSmallFries View Post
Wait a sec, I recently got information from a legitimate source as well tied to the engineering department in Germany as well. Wtf! That's not what I was told.

Either way, don't shoot the messenger, I think I'm going to sit this discussion out till September when we know for sure. I'm done here.
So you are 3rd person, BMW Engineering>your source>you? That more and better information than you provided prior.

Come on, don't pack up your things and leave. No one is being disrespectful here. There is just a lot of natural skepticism.

I don't buy the other posters rumors any more than yours...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #30
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Mother of god man. I hope you are right.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #31
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
460-475hp with an e46 target weight?!?!? If that's true I'm sold!!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #32
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
460-475hp with an e46 target weight?!?!? If that's true I'm sold!!
Honestly, is this such a big deal? E46 target weight is apparent, but would you not purchase it if it had 415 BHP? BMW underrates their turbo engines pretty badly. Not to mention a tune, exhaust, and a midpipe (altogether would cost what, around $5k?) would boost it to about 500 BHP easily.

I don't get this obsession with numbers and figures. I'm starting to think people want the extra horsepower just so they can go around claiming it has that much power (and no GIdriver, I'm not saying you're like that, just that some people are starting to seem like it).

I think the only arguable matter regarding the new M3/M4 is the sound of the car. It just doesn't sing and appeal to me anymore! Let's just hope aftermarket exhausts come sooner rather than later that make it sound better and give it good HP gains.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #33
Carl L
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Honestly, is this such a big deal? E46 target weight is apparent, but would you not purchase it if it had 415 BHP? BMW underrates their turbo engines pretty badly. Not to mention a tune, exhaust, and a midpipe (altogether would cost what, around $5k?) would boost it to about 500 BHP easily.

I don't get this obsession with numbers and figures. I'm starting to think people want the extra horsepower just so they can go around claiming it has that much power (and no GIdriver, I'm not saying you're like that, just that some people are starting to seem like it).

I think the only arguable matter regarding the new M3/M4 is the sound of the car. It just doesn't sing and appeal to me anymore! Let's just hope aftermarket exhausts come sooner rather than later that make it sound better and give it good HP gains.
Could end up costing 30k if the engine malfunctions. The vast majority of owners keep their engines stock to avoid invalidating the 4 year warranty which is included in the price.

As for the sound, I'm going to wait until the final production version can be heard before passing judgment.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #34
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post

In short: NO (with all due respect).
And yes, I believe some numbers are important. And no, I do not go around bragging about numbers, I take my car to the track.
Why would a car enthusiast complain about having more power and less weight?

Last edited by GIdriver; 04-25-2013 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #35
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
By your last sentence, then, are we to conclude that more than half your post is, shall we say, B.S?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #36
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
By your last sentence, then, are we to conclude that more than half your post is, shall we say, B.S?
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #37
InspireSiR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 E92

Since we're speculating on the number of turbos, can we speculate on the tunability as well? Sorry if this is off tangent LOL

With turbos on the exhaust side of the straight 6, I would think this would leave room for various turbo upgrades? Unlike on the V8 whose turbos are in the V of the motor (doesn't leave much room).

I was opposed to turbocharging at first, but after seeing the numbers the Horsepower Freaks E46 M3's are putting out, I think I'm starting to change my mind!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #38
Carl L
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullbussa View Post
There are so, so many ways BMW can screw up this car. After driving the latest M5, I am really worried about the new path BMW is taking. What an absolute bore that car is.

a 450hp+ engine is something I trust BMW to get right. Make it fun to drive and light on its feet? Now that is something I am not sure I can expect. I hope I am wrong.
I think you will be. The F30 is c.800 pounds lighter than the bloated F10.
Appreciate 0