proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

03-31-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Flaky Airbag or Seat OccupancySensors??

Wondering if anyone else has had issues with the seat occupancy sensors on their M3/M4s. Seems to be a very common issue on BMWs based on a quick Google search.

Initial problem. Drove away from home, seatbelt chime was going off for the passenger. No passenger, nothing on the front seat, I was going to work. Click the passenger seatbelt in, warning goes away. Seems the car thinks someone is in the seat.

Other issue, someone in the passenger seat (air bag active, light on ceiling not showing it off). Driving for a bit with no heated seats, no issues. Turn heated seat on for 15-20 min and I get a malfunction warning for passenger restraint system. Goes off for a min, then back on. Airbag light on and off. Park it, return trip home, no heated seat, no problems.

Seems like a stupid issue for an important system. Not happy the dealer will most likely need to pull the seat and the upholstery to swap in a new sensor (assuming my hunch is right.)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
AW M4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 ///M4

Happened to my M4 with an airbag malfunction light. They also had to reprogram the car.
      04-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #3
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW M4 View Post
Happened to my M4 with an airbag malfunction light. They also had to reprogram the car.
Thanks for the reply.

Did the reprogramming work on it's own or did they have to pull the seat and swap in a new sensor?
Appreciate 0