Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: Rattles/Creaks
Never had any 21 13.38%
Some here, some there, no biggy 73 46.50%
Wow, no $70K car should make this much noise 63 40.13%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

01-26-2015, 04:49 AM   #89
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinimod
Had the car for 7000 miles now.

It's great, but those minor interior pops and creaks are driving me nuts. And I've only been driving it on solid roads and highways, no city driving.

Also owning a 535... which is dead quiet and rock solid even on the roughest roads of San Francisco (and that's something)... it got me spoiled.
Lack of sound deadening insulation...for weight loss purposes...that's the trade off. Just keep the RPMs high and you won't hear anymore of those "cracks and pops".

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 06:04 AM   #90
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Agreed. The interior looks nice but it wasn't put together with much attention to minimizing rattles and squeaks. It's too bad really because the car is otherwise great. Cheap clips and lack of attention to areas that rub... BMW could have done better.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2015, 06:38 AM   #91
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Agreed. The interior looks nice but it wasn't put together with much attention to minimizing rattles and squeaks. It's too bad really because the car is otherwise great. Cheap clips and lack of attention to areas that rub... BMW could have done better.
Cheap parts no doubt. My car creaks at low speeds when backing out of my garage down a slight decline. Doesn't bother me, but it's pretty weak for a 65k car.

The shitty, orange peeled and thin paint is what pisses me off
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 06:47 AM   #92
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

E9x had all the same things. Not sure why this is a surprise. It's an M car not a 535.
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2015, 06:51 AM   #93
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

I started getting the creaky seals; a little silicone spray on a rag, lightly spreading over the rubber took care of it. Or you could take it to BMW and they will do the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 07:13 AM   #94
jim101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 | G05 M50i (Ordered)

The solution: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1031768
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #95
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I'd like to know why some cars do this and others don't. My car is not perfect, but its doesn't creak or rattle at any speed. Drifting to the right is a whole other discussion.

1) Road conditions - this would be my #1 variable but both Kennypowers and I live in the same city and go over the same roads.

2) Miles on the car - I haven't broken 2K yet, but I've tried to drive as much as possible, our weather has just been horrible the past month. Maybe Ill start to see this closer to 5K+ miles.

3) Interior selection? I got the full leather. Wonder if this issue is heard more with full, extended, or CF Cloth interiors. My hunch would be no.

Ill keep an eye out for this, seems to be a very common issue.
      01-26-2015, 07:29 AM   #96
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
E9x had all the same things. Not sure why this is a surprise. It's an M car not a 535.
It's still a very expensive car and owners shouldn't have to deal with this .

MB, Audi and Lexus are all better in their respective AMG, RS and RC cars. Having said that, MB is only a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim101 View Post
They can absolutely be fixed but BMW could also have designed it to not be a problem in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't the end of the world but it is a disappointment for me and others. Hell, my C7 Corvette was rock solid and its a GM and a more purpose built performance car. If BMW paid a little more attention to this it wouldn't be a problem. For example, the squeaky seals have been an issue since I've owned BMW's... you would think they would have resolved that just to stop owners from taking the car in for it to be dealt with under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 07:40 AM   #97
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
I'd like to know why some cars do this and others don't. My car is not perfect, but its doesn't creak or rattle at any speed. Drifting to the right is a whole other discussion.

1) Road conditions - this would be my #1 variable but both Kennypowers and I live in the same city and go over the same roads.

2) Miles on the car - I haven't broken 2K yet, but I've tried to drive as much as possible, our weather has just been horrible the past month. Maybe Ill start to see this closer to 5K+ miles.

3) Interior selection? I got the full leather. Wonder if this issue is heard more with full, extended, or CF Cloth interiors. My hunch would be no.

Weather plays a role.

Road conditions play a role.

How many miles on the car plays a role.

However, I think it largely is just luck of the draw. Some cars, for some reason, just seem to be better put together. As an example, my passenger side door panel has randomly popped off twice... like the entire top and side of the panel . I have never actually removed it intentionally but it has come off twice. I've popped it back on but expect it will come off again.

Every car from every manufacturer can and does do this. However, IMO, it's the perceived frequency that's the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #98
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's still a very expensive car and owners shouldn't have to deal with this .

MB, Audi and Lexus are all better in their respective AMG, RS and RC cars. Having said that, MB is only a little better.

They can absolutely be fixed but BMW could also have designed it to not be a problem in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't the end of the world but it is a disappointment for me and others. Hell, my C7 Corvette was rock solid and its a GM and a more purpose built performance car. If BMW paid a little more attention to this it wouldn't be a problem. For example, the squeaky seals have been an issue since I've owned BMW's... you would think they would have resolved that just to stop owners from taking the car in for it to be dealt with under warranty.
Arent M owners always talking about how the M is more raw than those other brands?

I would also be interested to know how many of the people having a lot of rattling changed thier suspension or dont have adaptive. In my car both comfort and sport are pretty butter smooth and quiet. Sport plus seems to cause some rattles here and there. Georgia roads suck.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #99
Zee Dgerman
Lead, follow, or get out of my way
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post

Weather plays a role.

Road conditions play a role.

How many miles on the car plays a role.

However, I think it largely is just luck of the draw. Some cars, for some reason, just seem to be better put together. As an example, my passenger side door panel has randomly popped off twice... like the entire top and side of the panel . I have never actually removed it intentionally but it has come off twice. I've popped it back on but expect it will come off again.

Every car from every manufacturer can and does do this. However, IMO, it's the perceived frequency that's the issue.
Unfortunately of All The german brands I feel BMW Lags slightly behind when it comes to the car's finish and assembly. Some panels like the hood are not lined up perfectly, the paint is not very strong and has a very distinct orange peel look as if the car has been resprayed, a lot of the rubber parts peel easy within months of ownership. But They drive great. Audis has better assembly but are plagued with electronic glitches, sensor failures... I guess we can't have it all ;-)
      01-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #100
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

I'm not going to judge my car at 10 degrees fahrenheit, it does make some noises then but I give any car room to make noise at that temp.

However, at 30 degrees there's no regular creaks or rattles whatsoever. I get VERY occasional sounds from my center trim that go away once the cabin is warm, and I did get a creak/rattle from the rear child latch covers which are super cheap flimsy plastic.

However, by no means is this car creaky or rattly for me. 6500 miles, daily driver, lots of rough roads.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #101
jze90M3
Rep
Drives: SSII e90 M3

Has anyone actually taken theirs to the dealer to get fixed, and did it work? Its killing me I've had the creaks/cracks in my drivers side AC vent since the car had 1000 miles on it and it just seems to get worse. Im wondering if the dealers are actually able to fix it or if they make everything worse by removing all those parts and adding new rattles. I've owned numerous new M cars, regular series as well and never had so many rattle issues as I've had with this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #102
Wei718
Major
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

I had rattles coming from my rubber moldings on the window, took it to the dealer and confirmed the noise they installed a strip of teflon tape on both sides now it's quiet.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #103
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 MBB F97 X3MC

I have the same rattle/creek from the HUD unit that I had in my 2012 335i. I was hoping that my 335i was a one-off, but this makes exactly the same sounds. Anyone else get this sound? Almost like the plastic cover isn't sitting properly...
Gone: 2015 F80 M3 - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #104
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jze90M3 View Post
Has anyone actually taken theirs to the dealer to get fixed, and did it work? Its killing me I've had the creaks/cracks in my drivers side AC vent since the car had 1000 miles on it and it just seems to get worse. Im wondering if the dealers are actually able to fix it or if they make everything worse by removing all those parts and adding new rattles. I've owned numerous new M cars, regular series as well and never had so many rattle issues as I've had with this car.
This is a known issue and can easily be fixed by yourself or the dealer. There's even a DIY on here. I haven't had the issue to any meaningful degree, but it's basically just pop off the trim pieces by hand and grease their attachment points and/or apply some felt tape in a few places to prevent plastic on plastic movement.
      01-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #105
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
This is a known issue and can easily be fixed by yourself or the dealer. There's even a DIY on here. I haven't had the issue to any meaningful degree, but it's basically just pop off the trim pieces by hand and grease their attachment points and/or apply some felt tape in a few places to prevent plastic on plastic movement.
I've got this same rattle and asked the dealer to check it out during my 1200 mile service. I got the "we couldn't replicate the issue" line. Of course, I heard it leaving the dealer when I picked up my car.

When it warms up I will do the DIY or fix or try the dealer one more time. In the mean time, I just crank up my Bavsound upgraded HK system and it fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #106
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinimod View Post
Had the car for 7000 miles now.

It's great, but those minor interior pops and creaks are driving me nuts. And I've only been driving it on solid roads and highways, no city driving.

Also owning a 535... which is dead quiet and rock solid even on the roughest roads of San Francisco (and that's something)... it got me spoiled.
Welcome to the 3/4 series. I don't know if the new cars are more creaky than the old, but this is a typical "feature" for these cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #107
F82speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
The shitty, orange peeled and thin paint is what pisses me off
Couldn't agree more, this is my only real gripe so far. If you even breathe on it wrong it'll leave swirls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I would also be interested to know how many of the people having a lot of rattling changed thier suspension or dont have adaptive. In my car both comfort and sport are pretty butter smooth and quiet. Sport plus seems to cause some rattles here and there. Georgia roads suck.
I'm curious of the same re: noise with passive vs adaptive. I have adaptive too and haven't noticed any real rattles/creaks yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #108
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
However, I think it largely is just luck of the draw. Some cars, for some reason, just seem to be better put together.
That's the key factor right there. And I suppose, when it comes to build quality variability, it's better to have a few creaks than overtight bearing clearance.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #109
rmedeir1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW MW M4 - MPE, CCBs, all CF

I have adaptive and 4300 miles on my car. I have no rattles whatsoever and mainly drive in SportPlus. The e46 M3 I had rattled incessantly; mainly the door side panels.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 10:48 AM   #110
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

10 mins to apply and $8 to buy. http://www.detailersdomain.com/1Z-ei...tick_p_77.html
Appreciate 0