ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

06-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

Need instructions on bumper cover alignment

I got into minor accident. Old lady didn't see me and hit from a back. Rear bumper cover being replaced by big reputable shop.

When time came to pick up car - paint match was good (Alpine white) but I found some issues.

1. There was 2 paint runs (inside where black vents are). I guess hard areas to paint, but why do I care?

2. Bumper was misaligned. On a left gap was little bigger then it was and on a right side bumper was sitting about 1/8 above rear quarter panel.

3. There was missing vent trim

So, I do understand challenges but I also want to have car fixed properly just like it was before accident. They took car back to finish it up. They will put trim piece in and probably going to fix runs. However, I'm really nervous about misalignment. They were trying to explain that it just click in and there is no way to adjust.

I don't beleive there is no factory procedure to align bumper covers. So, if anyone have access to instructions, I'd like to get them if possible so I can present it to shop in case it's not fixed as expected.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep

False alarm. Just picked up car and all look great. So, there was a way to align it properly.. but I have other question. I don't remember but should there be like 2 inch "shelf" behind rear wheel or there was some trim?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Yes
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes for "trim should be there" or Yes that it should be like this?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

It should be like your picture.

Also "They were trying to explain that it just click in and there is no way to adjust." Correct, its truly snap in. I've removed mine. If they misaligned it they just did a sloppy half ass job snapping it into the correct position, or something else was damaged causing misalignment which should have been addressed at the time. If you want instructions check out any receiver hitch install video for an F30, same deal. etrailer is a good site.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I just looked at my 2015 and was surprised how unfinished it looks. There's about 2" from the edge of the rear fender to where the inside fender well/liner starts, same on both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katit View Post
Yes for "trim should be there" or Yes that it should be like this?
Appreciate 0