European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

07-18-2023, 02:46 PM   #1
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix Convetible

MotorEasy Warranty.

I know this isn't a BMW but please avoid buying extended warranties from companies like MotorEasy. They wouldn't pay for anything unless it's a "sudden Failure" Below is the story of my wife's car. This would apply to any make of car. They use any tactic not to pay.

I bought my car privately in February 2023 with 47,000 miles, and in March I took out a warranty for the car. Fast forward to June 2023, the car started performing really badly, and then the engine warning light came up. I stopped the car and called the AA. On arrival, the AA said the turbo has gone. I called up my local Jaguar dealer and had the car towed to them. Because I had a warranty with MotorEasy I opened a case with them. 3 weeks later the claim was rejected. The reason they gave was that the problem was there before I took the warranty out. Even though I didn't get any issues until the car warning light came on. Below is a section of the report that clearly stated why it failed.

"In our opinion, there is excessive noise present when the vehicle was briefly started, consistent with wear to the turbocharger central bushing. This would not be considered uncommon on this engine type and is well documented across the JLR platform, in which this same engine is utilised. Removal of the turbochargers would now be required to confirm their overall state. In any case, the condition is not the result of a sudden breakage. Taking into consideration the short amount of time and mileage elapsed since inception, we consider the conditions would have been developing at that point. Conclusion We can conclude that the vehicle is displaying common symptoms of wear to a turbo bushing. There was no evidence of any sudden component failure or breakage. The condition would have been developing at inception"

How did they know that the problem was there before I took out the warranty? They didn't even inspect the turbo. Also, if they're saying this is a known fault on JLR cars, then why not state that in the first place?

I have attached a copy of their terms and conditions for the warranty plan that I took. Any advice would surely be helping to fight this.
Update: Just got this email from them.

Dear David
Your warranty is Motor Easy Plan A, which is our most extensive cover. It covers all mechanical and electrical failures, apart from a very small number of exclusions on this cover, which are clearly highlighted in the plan.
You can review the full terms in your account area or via this link:
https://www.motoreasy.com/.../15409-ME_PolicyDocuments...
We have reviewed your claim but based on your warranty terms, we cannot cover the following failures under your warranty.
Your Turbo problem is not covered under your warranty because the part’s fault does not meet the definition of breakdown in your plan. As per the definitions section of your plan: Breakdown means the sudden and unexpected failure of a component arising from any permanent mechanical, electrical or electronic fault, which causes the component to stop working, and means that it needs repairing or replacing.
Customerrelations@motoreasy.com
Yours sincerely,
motoreasy
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 03:45 PM   #2
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Geez, you could use that logic for any failure. It wasn't sudden, it's the result of wear.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 06:26 AM   #3
SteveCRH
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4C

Yeah they're suggesting wear and tear. It's criminal that they build these clauses into their warranties.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 09:32 AM   #4
mikerunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [9.72]
Sue them.

It’s not uncommon for any warranty or insurance company to do everything possible to deny initial claims. There are attorneys out there that specifically take on cases like this, and usually with a letter from them these companies they cave.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 02:40 AM   #5
jasonjo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

BMW warranty or don’t bother - sad but true I’m afraid…