Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

11-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #45
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
but how would you compare it to the M4? It surprises me that it only has 400HP yet its 0-60 run is like 3.6 seconds if I'm not mistaken. I guess because Quattro and lighter weight
Well, my experience driving the current M3/4 has been limited to a few M4's with no Comp Pkg w/ DCT.

Personally, I found them very spikey. The chassis did not feel very well buttoned down, ride quality was poor, sound is pretty lame, DCT is nowhere near as good as VW/Audi's DSG, and the car just did not instill a lot of confidence to push it. I felt more at home and 'in sync' with the AMG GTS that I was also driving for the first time, right after the M4, than in the BMW.

And size wise, the M4 feels like a boat compared the TT RS. I don't know that I could think of a better car for dicing up traffic and having fun on road in an urban setting. Car makes surrounding traffic a game to play.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #46
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
You said it

The TT-RS is probably even faster than that since C&D managed a 3.5 0-60mph with the heavier RS3. And it can do it easily and consistently. On the other hand, you need ideal conditions and a perfect launch to achieve 3.7~3.8 with an M4 coupe, not easily achievable in the real world. From a dig, the F8X will not be able to hang with a TT-RS.
This. And not only from a dig, just low speeds in general. From 20-30 mph, the car just explodes forward. Unless you're used to driving a Tesla or a 911 Turbo, it's another level of ruthlessly efficient acceleration.

I can just imagine the car with a tune. It'd be downright stupid.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #47
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
DCT is nowhere near as good as VW/Audi's DSG
What? I completely disagree. Owned 2016 S3 and now the 2018 TTRS. 6 speed and 7 speed DSG. The DSG transmission feels very “automatic”. The DCT has a “race-car” feel to it and the shifts were much more crisp and instant. One is an automated manual and the other an auto you can drive in manual mode.

I drive both cars in manual mode only. Plus the paddle shifters are garbage in the TTRS compared to my F80.

As far as sound. I had a ZCP with a full Remus unresoanted exhaust. It sounded glorious and would get compliments all the time. The 5 cylinder is glorious, but that I6 was amazing as well. I think people just like to repeat what they read on the internet.

RECENT PAST: 2016 F80 Austin Yellow (6MT) / 2017 F80 Atlantis Metallic (DCT-ZCP) / 2017 Challenger Hellcat 8A / 2017 Focus RS/ 2017 Shelby GT350 / 2018 Audi TTRS / 2018 Raptor Crew Cab / 2020 X3M Comp
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #48
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberzus View Post
Quote:
What? I completely disagree. Owned 2016 S3 and now the 2018 TTRS. 6 speed and 7 speed DSG. The DSG transmission feels very “automatic”. The DCT has a “race-car” feel to it and the shifts were much more crisp and instant. One is an automated manual and the other an auto you can drive in manual mode.

I drive both cars in manual mode only. Plus the paddle shifters are garbage in the TTRS compared to my F80.

As far as sound. I had a ZCP with a full Remus unresoanted exhaust. It sounded glorious and would get compliments all the time. The 5 cylinder is glorious, but that I6 was amazing as well. I think people just like to repeat what they read on the internet.
Agreed. DCT on my M4 > DSG on previous S4.
      11-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #49
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost34 View Post
gotta say, been driving the ttrs for a couple weeks, it is a chick car. Ive had a wide range of cars over the years, I can count on one hand the number of times my cars peeked the interest of the opposite sex. in a few weeks, more women have approached me asking about the car or to say nice car, its like a puppy. who knew. wife loves it!!
Sounds like that could be a bonus for unattached dudes.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #50
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I disagree on this. The S-Tronic (DSG) does have a more standard automatic feel primarily because the creep mode is so good. Other than that, it is every bit as fast as BMW’s DCT. Same goes for Porsche’s PDK which clearly has the same lineage as the DSG. The PDK is the best in the business re: dual clutches.

BTW, I just picked up a 2017 Audi S6. 450hp 4.0 liter twin turbo V8 with 7 speed S-Tronic. The thing is quite the sleeper - comfortable cruiser on the highway and flip it into dynamic mode and it is an absolute beast.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #51
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blschaefer1 View Post
Quote:
I disagree on this. The S-Tronic (DSG) does have a more standard automatic feel primarily because the creep mode is so good. Other than that, it is every bit as fast as BMW’s DCT. Same goes for Porsche’s PDK which clearly has the same lineage as the DSG. The PDK is the best in the business re: dual clutches.

BTW, I just picked up a 2017 Audi S6. 450hp 4.0 liter twin turbo V8 with 7 speed S-Tronic. The thing is quite the sleeper - comfortable cruiser on the highway and flip it into dynamic mode and it is an absolute beast.
That's fine. We can agree to disagree.

(BTW, I don't think PDK and VW/Audi DSG have the same lineage.)
      11-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #52
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
That's fine. We can agree to disagree.

(BTW, I don't think PDK and VW/Audi DSG have the same lineage.)
You could be right about that, I was assuming so since both are from VAG.

I can tell you that operationally they feel very similar, having owned and driven both.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #53
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
You could be right about that, I was assuming so since both are from VAG.

I can tell you that operationally they feel very similar, having owned and driven both.
I don’t think they are the same lineage. Operationally they may have similarities but there is still a vast database deference between PDK and DSG if you ask me. The immediacy of the PDK is un matched. DSG is likely still a top contender once you move past PDK as the best DC transmission. It seems many manufacturers (BMW and Audi) are moving away from DC in cars that I think should have them for the ZF (which is good but boring to drive).
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #54
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
I like the TTRS for its ability to be a good daily driver. It is not slow by any means and is perfectly set up for less than ideal weather conditions. It's not as balanced as a GT4, but it's not terrible either. I also like how Audi's blend in and don't draw much attention.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-09-2018, 08:43 AM   #55
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
I like the TTRS for its ability to be a good daily driver. It is not slow by any means and is perfectly set up for less than ideal weather conditions. It's not as balanced as a GT4, but it's not terrible either. I also like how Audi's blend in and don't draw much attention.
I sat in a TTRS and I really didn't like it. It felt pretty cramped. I'm 6'1 and 180 lbs.

It felt a lot more cramped than even my M235i...

How do you like it? I haven't driven it, though so I can't speak about that aspect.

Also, the trunk space is awful. Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #56
rexb16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 362i

I'm not going to lie, I have on order what will be my second F80 and I still think about owning an RS3/TTRS at some point.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #57
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

I was pretty set on the TTRS after my lease is up, but the Camaro ZL1 1LE, is gaining my interest more and more everyday.
Attached Images

13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2018, 12:17 AM   #58
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
I sat in a TTRS and I really didn't like it. It felt pretty cramped. I'm 6'1 and 180 lbs.

It felt a lot more cramped than even my M235i...

How do you like it? I haven't driven it, though so I can't speak about that aspect.

Also, the trunk space is awful. Lol
I’m 5’9 and 215 lbs and I do not feel cramped at all. I guess it really depends on what you’re looking for. With cars getting larger and larger by the year, it’s getting hard to find something nimble and small. The TTRS gives me the perfect GoKart-like feel. Especially while holding on to that masterpiece of a steering wheel straight from the R8.

Also, how is the trunk space awful?! It’s a huge area with a hatch opening. Fold down the rear seats and it’s got even more room.

If you’re looking for supercar performance, exotic-like sound, nimble feel, AWD grip/consistency and of course exclusivity and rarity. The TTRS is the perfect choice.

RECENT PAST: 2016 F80 Austin Yellow (6MT) / 2017 F80 Atlantis Metallic (DCT-ZCP) / 2017 Challenger Hellcat 8A / 2017 Focus RS/ 2017 Shelby GT350 / 2018 Audi TTRS / 2018 Raptor Crew Cab / 2020 X3M Comp
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 11:29 PM   #59
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
You would probably be the first to say this...The DSG has never been on the same ballpark of the DCT or especially the PDK. I've driven and owned both the DSG in the Mk7 Golf R and B8.5 S4 and the 8AT in my 340i shifts quicker and is more intuitive in almost all situations. The DCT in my M3 isn't even in the same league...shifts are substantially quicker, more aggressive, the logic is more intuitive, it can actually skip gears with multiple paddles clicks, the shifter actually shifts + and - in the correct direction, etc. Obviously personal opinion but I have rarely ever seen people mention what you say...even most RS3 owners with the updated DQ500 7sp DSG still complain of laziness and the inability to downshift intuitively. VAG transmission shifting logic has never been their strong suite.

Quote:

The Audi's DSG although good isn't as quick as the DCT. They are generally smoother in operation but as mentioned above don't shift as quick and especially don't respond to inputs as fast and get confused A LOT more when using the paddles. Also, the PDK shares nothing with the DSG and they are completely different approaches to "dual clutches" and driving logic. The PDK is collectively much better than the DSG and also slightly better than the DCT from my experience.
Appreciate 2
clutchdj1851.50
Db750278.00
      03-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #60
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlySoMany View Post
I looked all over the place for a GT4 when I was in the market. Ended up going with the Alfa (which I don't regret). That GT4 is a sweet car though. They also seem to be holding their value very well, if not going up in price.
Could you do a write up on your Alfa in a separate thread? We're all car guys here and can be respectful of other's choices. I am certainly rooting for Alfa to succeed in the USA. My first Alfa was the 72 GTV, what a car, handling was great and the ergonomics can't be beat to this day - IMHO. Every drive was a visceral experience, you felt the road and it made beautiful noises - in contrast my F82 feels sterile.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #61
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
What would you like to know? I just traded my 2017 ZCP/DCT F80 for a 2018 TTRS. They are both different in every respect.

I need to make a write up on this.
I believe the Audi TTRS and RS3 have the same Matrix LED lights right? If you've owned or seen the BMW Adaptive LEDs, how would you compared them vs Audi's? I ask because I wasn't that much impressed with BMW's LED brightness. Like my wife's previous 428i which only had Xenon headlights believe it or not to me seemed brighted. For example when she flashes her high beams, the vehicles in front of her quickly move to the side as they're so bright but with the Adaptive LED's I could barely see the reflection of my light on the other vehicle and it doesn't scare them off.

I don't have the Audi RS3 yet so I'd like to get your opinion on this.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #62
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe the Audi TTRS and RS3 have the same Matrix LED lights right? If you've owned or seen the BMW Adaptive LEDs, how would you compared them vs Audi's? I ask because I wasn't that much impressed with BMW's LED brightness. Like my wife's previous 428i which only had Xenon headlights believe it or not to me seemed brighted. For example when she flashes her high beams, the vehicles in front of her quickly move to the side as they're so bright but with the Adaptive LED's I could barely see the reflection of my light on the other vehicle and it doesn't scare them off.

I don't have the Audi RS3 yet so I'd like to get your opinion on this.
Hi, there! I cannot comment on a comparison between the BMW LEDs vs. the Audi ones. I had the Base/Xenon/HID's on both my F80's..

The Audi's LED's light up the roads quite well. Never had issues with either of them and I rarely drive on unlit streets to really test out the brightness. So I cannot give more insight on the above, sorry...

Appreciate 1
      05-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #63
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Hi, there! I cannot comment on a comparison between the BMW LEDs vs. the Audi ones. I had the Base/Xenon/HID's on both my F80's..

The Audi's LED's light up the roads quite well. Never had issues with either of them and I rarely drive on unlit streets to really test out the brightness. So I cannot give more insight on the above, sorry...
right, tell me how would your compare your TTRS vs your GT 350? Not a fan of the cheap plasticy interior on the Ford but the power is insane. How fast do you get from 0-60 MPH? Any problems with putting the power down due to the RWD or is your TTRS still faster from a stand still? That's the most important factor for me
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #64
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
right, tell me how would your compare your TTRS vs your GT 350? Not a fan of the cheap plasticy interior on the Ford but the power is insane. How fast do you get from 0-60 MPH? Any problems with putting the power down due to the RWD or is your TTRS still faster from a stand still? That's the most important factor for me
The interior quality is not the best, but all the contact points such as the steering wheel, seats, shifter, all feel really solid. The GT350 is not about the 0-60 times. In fact, it is terrible from a dig. All the power is up top and its really tricky to launch (way harder than the F80) it without bog or spin and abusing the clutch/tires. It's simply a roll on power type of car. In fact, it's a track car.

Surprisingly, traction is really, really good for being a RWD. I drive it in Sport mode with suspension in the softer setting. The car has a really annoying habit of tramlining (front tires/steering wheel follows every groove and imperfection on the road). It was really annoying at first, but you get used to it.

Since all the power is at the top, the car builds power gradually but rapidly. Very interesting sensation. The F80 M3's and especially the 8Auto Hellcat had horrendous traction issues (power builds instantly down low). To the point of frustration.

No contest, from a dig OR roll the stock TTRS obliterates the GT350. More so from a dig (duh, AWD) The TTRS is basically a stock GTR. As I ran two stock 2017 GTR's and up to 120 they pull half a car at most.

The beauty of the GT350 vs. the TTRS is the driving experience. Oh. My. God, the GT350 is so damn good! By far the most enjoyable car I have ever driven. Not the fastest, not the most comfortable, etc.... none of that matters. It has character, something that the TTRS is missing. I never really look forward to driving the TTRS. It's simply not as fun. It's more like a tool for a job, and it's job is to be fast.

The GT350 is a visceral (raw) driving event! To say it sounds "good" is an understatement. If you wanna race and beat people from lights, go for the TTRS. If you want to smile and look forward to every drive...go for the GT350 (Hellcat was even more fun than the TTRS). When I drive the TTRS to work I never look forward to driving home. I always get giddy when I know I am driving the Shelby to and from work... it's not perfect, but man is it a pure joy to drive.

Appreciate 3
minn1913970.00
mcc3456332.00
      05-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #65
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Quote:
The interior quality is not the best, but all the contact points such as the steering wheel, seats, shifter, all feel really solid. The GT350 is not about the 0-60 times. In fact, it is terrible from a dig. All the power is up top and its really tricky to launch (way harder than the F80) it without bog or spin and abusing the clutch/tires. It's simply a roll on power type of car. In fact, it's a track car.

Surprisingly, traction is really, really good for being a RWD. I drive it in Sport mode with suspension in the softer setting. The car has a really annoying habit of tramlining (front tires/steering wheel follows every groove and imperfection on the road). It was really annoying at first, but you get used to it.

Since all the power is at the top, the car builds power gradually but rapidly. Very interesting sensation. The F80 M3's and especially the 8Auto Hellcat had horrendous traction issues (power builds instantly down low). To the point of frustration.

No contest, from a dig OR roll the stock TTRS obliterates the GT350. More so from a dig (duh, AWD) The TTRS is basically a stock GTR. As I ran two stock 2017 GTR's and up to 120 they pull half a car at most.

The beauty of the GT350 vs. the TTRS is the driving experience. Oh. My. God, the GT350 is so damn good! By far the most enjoyable car I have ever driven. Not the fastest, not the most comfortable, etc.... none of that matters. It has character, something that the TTRS is missing. I never really look forward to driving the TTRS. It's simply not as fun. It's more like a tool for a job, and it's job is to be fast.

The GT350 is a visceral (raw) driving event! To say it sounds "good" is an understatement. If you wanna race and beat people from lights, go for the TTRS. If you want to smile and look forward to every drive...go for the GT350 (Hellcat was even more fun than the TTRS). When I drive the TTRS to work I never look forward to driving home. I always get giddy when I know I am driving the Shelby to and from work... it's not perfect, but man is it a pure joy to drive.
Is your TTRS stock or flashed? Im surprised they are that close to a GTR.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:58 PM   #66
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
Is your TTRS stock or flashed? Im surprised they are that close to a GTR.
Both cars bone stock. No passengers in either car, and I weigh 215lbs. The car weighs about 3280lbs and most mags are getting 3.2 0-60s. Look up the Top Gear video with the red TTRS vs orange GTR. Then read the article. They confirmed it as well. The GTR really couldn’t fully get away from the TTRS. The TTRS hits 1.1Gs on launch... most of the comments are bashing the TTRS saying the race was fake. It’s actually quite accurate from my experience with two separate 2017 GTRs.

Trust me, I was shocked as well and most don’t want to believe it. The GTR is the “benchmark” and no one wants to believe that a $70K TTRS is just as fast.

*My buddy after 3 runs, “I really have to drive that TTRS, it’s fast”. Both were not happy when they literally pulled only a fender on me. It walked away from my GT350 so easily it was just stupid. I was annoyed myself. Considering the GT350 shines from a roll (I am at altitude though, so NA suffers more here).

Stage 1 tuned TTRS’s are running 10.8-10.9s @126-129mph in the 1/4 mile.

Appreciate 3
DS_BMW1570.00
Yes2m3cs155.00