BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #45
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
Exactly. I actually like the firmer ride of the static more. The adaptive is too rough in sport plus and a little too soft in sport. Of course, I am riding on perfectly smooth Florida roads....
Hey it may not be as bad as the north east down here but perfectly smooth may be a stretch
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410957.50
      03-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #46
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:
Exactly. I actually like the firmer ride of the static more. The adaptive is too rough in sport plus and a little too soft in sport. Of course, I am riding on perfectly smooth Florida roads....
Hey it may not be as bad as the north east down here but perfectly smooth may be a stretch
Point taken. Given that I am from the DC metro area, the local roads feel perfectly smooth. I once had a DC pothole completely bend a rim on my GTI when I lived in DC 🙄
      03-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #47
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Taking that thinking further, I'll take full coilovers with aggressive springs and alignment and dampers setup appropriately, rather than the "adaptive" dampers

Adaptive just makes it better to daily.

I realize I'm in the minority on this. I suspect most will want to switch for the "gee whiz" factor. I specifically didn't want adaptive because I'd need to pay more to delete those to go to coilovers

Regarding the potholes, then get 18" wheels with wider tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #48
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:
Taking that thinking further, I'll take full coilovers with aggressive springs and alignment and dampers setup appropriately, rather than the "adaptive" dampers

Adaptive just makes it better to daily.

I realize I'm in the minority on this. I suspect most will want to switch for the "gee whiz" factor. I specifically didn't want adaptive because I'd need to pay more to delete those to go to coilovers

Regarding the potholes, then get 18" wheels with wider tires.
I agree with you and I prefer static suspensions to adaptive for the very reasons you mention. I took my F80 off the lot and it came with comp pack so that forced me into the adaptive suspension. I wanted the black 666 wheels to change it up from my F82 with the black 19's. So, in order to get those wheels, I had to take the comp pack. My perfect F80/F82 would be comp pack with adaptive suspension delete and 666 black wheels.
      03-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #49
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

saw the new m5 at the MUC airport the other day.

Looks nice. Definitely the way to go vs 550
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:47 PM   #50
Madvillain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lada

if m3 is fully loaded with ext leater id take the m3 if i was you. some may argue that the 550i with its xdrive will smoke m3 on the road...but where would someone be doing these races? lol in the city? ya have fun with cops. only time you should test either car full beans is on highway when its clear that way you would only put youraelf in any danger. the m3 is better looking,better on fuel,holds value better is more reliable (i dont trust that 550i motor if its the same n63 as before) and you get top of the line model not an 'almost there' typa car. if you want that 5er size just get an f10 m5 used. it can spank both cars big time without mods and if you wanna go the mod route bigggg power can be made . if youre going to track m3 is way to go cuz of its size, m5 being as heavy as it is may wear out its brakes quicker and wont be as percise on tighter circuits, so no point of extra costs. only thing is the s55 in the m3 sounds like doodoo unless you get right exhuast setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #51
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvillain View Post
if m3 is fully loaded with ext leater and whatnot id tae them3 if u was u. some may argue that the 550i with its xdrive willsmoke m3 on the road...but where are u doin these races lol in the city? ya have fun with cops. only time you should test either car full beans is on highway when its clear that way u only endanger yourself. the m3 is better looking,better on fuel,holds value better is more reliable (i dont trust that 550i motor if its the same n63 as before) and you get top of the line model not an almost there typa car. if u want that 5er size just get an f10 m5 used can spank both cars big time without mods and if u wanna go the mod route bigggg power can be made . if youre going to track m3 is way to go cuz of its size, m5 being as heavy as it is may wear out its brakes quicker so no point of extra costs. only thing is the s55 in the m3 sounds like doodoo u less u get right exhuast setup.
Wow
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #52
Madvillain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvillain View Post
if m3 is fully loaded with ext leater and whatnot id tae them3 if u was u. some may argue that the 550i with its xdrive willsmoke m3 on the road...but where are u doin these races lol in the city? ya have fun with cops. only time you should test either car full beans is on highway when its clear that way u only endanger yourself. the m3 is better looking,better on fuel,holds value better is more reliable (i dont trust that 550i motor if its the same n63 as before) and you get top of the line model not an almost there typa car. if u want that 5er size just get an f10 m5 used can spank both cars big time without mods and if u wanna go the mod route bigggg power can be made . if youre going to track m3 is way to go cuz of its size, m5 being as heavy as it is may wear out its brakes quicker so no point of extra costs. only thing is the s55 in the m3 sounds like doodoo u less u get right exhuast setup.
Wow
fuckfest of a comment eh hahahaha wtf was i on ill clean that up a bit bud
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 10:17 PM   #53
clubspec330i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F39, CB F86, MB 911T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M4 View Post
Which would you choose?
I have both '15 M3 ESS Tuned and '18 M550i.

'18 M550i is wife's daily and I daily '16 X6. So, M3 is just my fun car.

M550i has became a family car of choice and X6 followed closely. While my son loves M3, my little girl complains that exhaust is too loud and ride to bumpy.

Pricing and all other financial reasons aside, it comes down to how you would use it. Surprisingly, M550i has far exceeded my expectation from non-M car. Would I do it again even though M5 is 20k more (more like 35-40k more realistically), HECK YEAH. I would never take M550i to the track or do high speed run.

If you go with M4 ZCP, you are not going to regret.
If you go with M550i, you will use it everyday.

You will be happy with either one. After all, 80% of people out there can only dream of these 2 cars.
Appreciate 1
1M4146.00
      04-10-2018, 08:50 PM   #54
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

I've driven M550, non-comp M4, and comp M3 at the performance center in Greenville. The M550 is a quick cruiser with x-drive. It's a large car. The comp pack M3 is an awesome dual threat car. If you want a fast cruiser, but not car much about a sports car feel, get the M550. If want you a great sports car that can serve as a daily driver, get the M3, it's excellent.

Also, I can't for the life of me understand how people don't see a big difference in between the comp and non-comp pack models. The handling and ability to put down power, especially coming out of a turn, is greatly improved with the comp pack IMHO. It becomes very apparent when you start pushing the car.

I owned a non comp M4 for three years, have a comp pack F83, and want a comp pack F82.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #55
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
Also, I can't for the life of me understand how people don't see a big difference in between the comp and non-comp pack models. The handling and ability to put down power, especially coming out of a turn, is greatly improved with the comp pack IMHO. It becomes very apparent when you start pushing the car.

I owned a non comp M4 for three years, have a comp pack F83, and want a comp pack F82.
It depends on which software of the non comp car you were driving prior to getting the comp m3. 2014/2015 m3 I test drove and 2016 I bought was significantly different.

2nd would be difference between conti vs PSS & size from 275 to 285.

All this will magnify or lessen the difference felt between non & competition m3/m4 on the road.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #56
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
It's too bad the 5 series wasn't styled aggressive enough to lure younger buyers. Yes it's a formidable power plant and has nice goodies however I'm more attracted to style and performance.

I think M's should look much different than the non M version of the same series. The M5 will just continue to be the "Cadillac" and as such, will probably attract older buyers.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #57
1M4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 Alp/Sakhir CF Roof 19"

I read in a earlier post that the comp packs felt less punchy at the start.

Quote:
I've driven M550, non-comp M4, and comp M3 at the performance center in Greenville. The M550 is a quick cruiser with x-drive. It's a large car. The comp pack M3 is an awesome dual threat car. If you want a fast cruiser, but not car much about a sports car feel, get the M550. If want you a great sports car that can serve as a daily driver, get the M3, it's excellent.

I wasn’t sure if that’s an individual opinion or was if more of a fact that the comp packs power was a little less in the beginning and really wasn’t that noticeable until the top of the rpms.Was it that they limited power for traction reasons off the line and then was added to the top of the power band?
Comparing a 16 m4 mpss 19’ wheel non comp pack to a 17 or 18 comp pack with the 20 wheels on mpss as well,what would be the major difference?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 06:58 PM   #58
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubspec330i View Post
Pricing and all other financial reasons aside, it comes down to how you would use it. Surprisingly, M550i has far exceeded my expectation from non-M car. Would I do it again even though M5 is 20k more (more like 35-40k more realistically), HECK YEAH. I would never take M550i to the track or do high speed run.

If you go with M4 ZCP, you are not going to regret.
If you go with M550i, you will use it everyday.

You will be happy with either one. After all, 80% of people out there can only dream of these 2 cars.
Did you look into the 540? Might be even better for street only usage than 550

I kind of disagree that everyone will be happy with either one. As I said earlier, I'll take an old m5 before i get a 550
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #59
Audio Fan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I wasn't sure if that's an individual opinion or was if more of a fact that the comp packs power was a little less in the beginning and really wasn't that noticeable until the top of the rpms.Was it that they limited power for traction reasons off the line and then was added to the top of the power band?
Comparing a 16 m4 mpss 19' wheel non comp pack to a 17 or 18 comp pack with the 20 wheels on mpss as well,what would be the major difference?
I'm pretty sure it isn't a power curve thing. The change is in the suspension and differential hardware/software. The wider tires help as well. IMHO, the ZCP cars both had more cornering and straight line grip. I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but thought the OP might use it as something to consider. I drove several of these cars back to back to back on a track. My friend who races his own cars also thought the ZCP M3 was pretty special.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #60
1M4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 Alp/Sakhir CF Roof 19"

You know you bought a hell of a car when just can’t find a replacement 3 yrs later.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it isn't a power curve thing. The change is in the suspension and differential hardware/software. The wider tires help as well. IMHO, the ZCP cars both had more cornering and straight line grip. I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but thought the OP might use it as something to consider. I drove several of these cars back to back to back on a track. My friend who races his own cars also thought the ZCP M3 was pretty special.
Even if you aren’t crazy about the looks of the M3/M4 there’s no denying that these cars performance is impressive for the money. The ZCP maybe was brought out to keep it fresh but getting practically the same car for another 3 years feels weird.Is it just that good or is it that there really isn’t anything from the other brands that’s as good at so many different things.?It’s track capability,daily drivability,and reliability are an impressive combo.

The c63 or c 63s sounds better but IMHO but doesn’t have what I feel the M has.The Porsche has it but at a different price point.

I would have to say if I stray it might have to be a 911 C4S and we know with just a few options can be 130k or more.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 09:51 PM   #61
Audio Fan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Even if you aren't crazy about the looks of the M3/M4 there's no denying that these cars performance is impressive for the money. The ZCP maybe was brought out to keep it fresh but getting practically the same car for another 3 years feels weird.Is it just that good or is it that there really isn't anything from the other brands that's as good at so many different things.?It's track capability,daily drivability,and reliability are an impressive combo.

The c63 or c 63s sounds better but IMHO but doesn't have what I feel the M has.The Porsche has it but at a different price point.

I would have to say if I stray it might have to be a 911 C4S and we know with just a few options can be 130k or more.
I love the ZCP F82 - drive to looks. A 991.2 911 is very tempting, but I have 2 and 4 year olds, love the tech you get with the M4, and hate to spend more money on a daily driver. I think it's great, and the competitors lack something big for me. This is just my opinion. I actually expect others to think differently. I'm not a big fan of F83 lines with top up.
Appreciate 0