Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #1365
wicked1044
Master
Rep
Drives: 750i

What is the average price for a shop to remove the DME?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #1366
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

New update for those with a BM3 hardware agent box:

WIFI connectivity between the phone and BM3 device is great but wired is now supported as well!

Plug in a USB cable between the device and your phone and tether with a cable instead of Wifi. There's no longer a requirement to run WIFI for the hotspot or change the phone's name or hotspot password on your phone if you use a USB cable.

You'd enable USB tethering, plug the USB cable from the phone to the BM3 device and off you go.

Link to the latest firmware is up on the bootmod3 enthusiasts Facebook group
Appreciate 3
      10-13-2017, 06:51 AM   #1367
HighlyMedicated
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m340ix

Always updating, thank you sir for the constant support and quality product. People may think updates are because something was wrong or broken but so many ways to build software and ways to improve the efficiency to match it all together. Its like apple, new ios and all your apps need updates to catch up but nothing is wrong just an upgrade!

Do Work! Hustle Daily and eventually will get your deam Lady !!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #1368
///MFlight81
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post

WIFI connectivity between the phone and BM3 device is great but wired is now supported as well!

Plug in a USB cable between the device and your phone and tether with a cable instead of Wifi. There's no longer a requirement to run WIFI for the hotspot or change the phone's name or hotspot password on your phone if you use a USB cable.

You'd enable USB tethering, plug the USB cable from the phone to the BM3 device and off you go.

PTF in orders to update the bootmod3 agent firmware you have to do it through the site on your computer right? Is there going to be an update for your phone also for this?
      10-14-2017, 01:46 AM   #1369
Valid_F80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 Comp Pakge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MFlight81 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post

PTF in orders to update the bootmod3 agent firmware you have to do it through the site on your computer right? Is there going to be an update for your phone also for this?
Yes you need your computer, to Update the SD card.
      10-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #1370
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MFlight81 View Post
Firmware updates are rare and those need the SD card out and its done with a computer. Otherwise all other updates can be done via the phone.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      10-15-2017, 02:55 AM   #1371
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

So does anyone have issues with the box that's used to flash with your phone? I'll connect to my car briefly, only to disconnect ever 30-40 seconds, the briefly recumbent.

I've rarely not had issues with staying connected to it. I'll try to initialise a flash, only to get an error before being able
to start it. My wireless hotspot is perfectly fine, and the cables are plugged in snug too. I think I'll replace the OBD2 cable first
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 05:01 AM   #1372
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
So does anyone have issues with the box that's used to flash with your phone? I'll connect to my car briefly, only to disconnect ever 30-40 seconds, the briefly recumbent.

I've rarely not had issues with staying connected to it. I'll try to initialise a flash, only to get an error before being able
to start it. My wireless hotspot is perfectly fine, and the cables are plugged in snug too. I think I'll replace the OBD2 cable first
Nope. You running the latest firmware on your agent device (box)?

So you're saying if you are using the agent device you keep disconnecting, but if you connect via the laptop it's fine? Assuming you are using the same OBDII cable for both connections then I can't see how the cable could be problem. Just check you are using the the latest firmware and running the latest BM3 app version on your phone.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 07:35 AM   #1373
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post

So you're saying if you are using the agent device you keep disconnecting, but if you connect via the laptop it's fine? Assuming you are using the same OBDII cable for both connections then I can't see how the cable could be problem. Just check you are using the the latest firmware and running the latest BM3 app version on your phone.
Originally I also had wifi connectivity problems even updating firmware would not help. Turned out my SD card was corrupt.
I bought a new card, flashed newest agent firmware and it's working fine ever since.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #1374
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:

I'm certain I'm not running the latest firmware, but then again - I've had this issue since day one. I'll update it tonight or tomorrow and see if that's the issue.

I've also never flashed with my laptop since I've always used the agent device. I'll also try this and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojs View Post
Originally I also had wifi connectivity problems even updating firmware would not help. Turned out my SD card was corrupt.
I bought a new card, flashed newest agent firmware and it's working fine ever since.
I'll have to look into this. I have plenty of SD cards laying around, maybe that's the issue.

Which one did you buy to replace the original one with?
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #1375
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC FULL HAMMAN WIDE BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoop_ass View Post
Dzenan is a legend for sure

was holiday yesterday and in Canada and the guy still manages to help out...
Believe or not he is like a superman 💪🏻
Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
      10-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #1376
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Its rare but it happens. Funny enough SD card in my Nikon DSLR also gave out the other day. They're cheap though as you only need an 8GB one but you can always go bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym3100k View Post
Believe or not he is like a superman 💪🏻
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      10-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #1377
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1431984
Appreciate 2
      10-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #1378
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Please vote here

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1432720
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs

Last edited by BuLoOoSki; 10-21-2017 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #1379
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Is the base tune made for stock DPs or do I need to go catless to get BM3? I'm already without the secondary cats and it's loud enough. I'm mostly interested in the burbles but would also like to get some power benefit considering I'd essentially be giving up my engine warranty. Speaking of which, I'd want to be conservative to lower the risk of breaking anything. How much will HP and torque be increased?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #1380
GlazierGlaze
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi RS6

When are we gonna get this update? Can't wait.

I need to update to the most recent version you guys pushed to me last week.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #1381
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
Is the base tune made for stock DPs or do I need to go catless to get BM3? I'm already without the secondary cats and it's loud enough. I'm mostly interested in the burbles but would also like to get some power benefit considering I'd essentially be giving up my engine warranty. Speaking of which, I'd want to be conservative to lower the risk of breaking anything. How much will HP and torque be increased?
You don't need to go with catless DPs with the stage 1 map. For the stage 2 map it's also not required, but recommended.

You can go with the stage 1 map if you wanna be "conservative"
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #1382
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlazierGlaze View Post
When are we gonna get this update? Can't wait.

I need to update to the most recent version you guys pushed to me last week.
They changed things and made it easier. You can just request the map through the system now.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 08:30 PM   #1383
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
You don't need to go with catless DPs with the stage 1 map. For the stage 2 map it's also not required, but recommended.

You can go with the stage 1 map if you wanna be "conservative"
Downpipes are as much recommended as any other bolt on. Is it nice to have? Yes, why not. Is it necessary to make gains? Absolutely not.
I have been running upgraded turbos with BM3 for almost a year now with STOCK CATS. I am making 600+ hp with absolutely zero issues. And I track my car.
This platform is over 3 years old and I have yet to see back to back (comparable) dynos of the same car with/without downpipes that conclusively prove significant gains. The OEM cats are not restrictive.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #1384
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Downpipes are as much recommended as any other bolt on. Is it nice to have? Yes, why not. Is it necessary to make gains? Absolutely not.
I have been running upgraded turbos with BM3 for almost a year now with STOCK CATS. I am making 600+ hp with absolutely zero issues. And I track my car.
This platform is over 3 years old and I have yet to see back to back (comparable) dynos of the same car with/without downpipes that conclusively prove significant gains. The OEM cats are not restrictive.
I don't want to go into a downpipe discussion, but I'm surprised to how strongly you are against downpipes but still have a $2500 intake on your car. Which is also a mod proven to provide no gains

Anyway, I don't really care what mods people get, its their money. I have downpipes for the sound and not for power. However, I'm definitely curious about your car being tacked with upgraded turbos. Do you run any upgraded cooling components like an upgraded heat exchanger or charge cooler or DCT cooler?

And do you run stock or an upgraded clutch?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 04:53 AM   #1385
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I don't want to go into a downpipe discussion, but I'm surprised to how strongly you are against downpipes but still have a $2500 intake on your car. Which is also a mod proven to provide no gains

Anyway, I don't really care what mods people get, its their money. I have downpipes for the sound and not for power. However, I'm definitely curious about your car being tacked with upgraded turbos. Do you run any upgraded cooling components like an upgraded heat exchanger or charge cooler or DCT cooler?

And do you run stock or an upgraded clutch?
I think you slightly misunderstood my point. You are mixing two issues here: (a) the necessity of downpipes for serious power gains with bm3 and (b) justification of money spent on downpipes.

(a) The first issue is the one I have been trying to stress. I would like to bust the myth that you can not go into the 500+whp territory unless you go catless. The problem with people hearing "dp highly recommended" from PTF or any other Subject Matter Expert results in the same effect as when people were switching their cell phones before aircraft takeoff for 20 years, sincerely believing the plane would crash otherwise (although I admit it was obligatory, not recommended). My point is: among people with somewhat limited technical background and experience if a reputable source repeats the same thing over and over they take it for granted, not even questioning the underlying reasons. There is probably a good number of people around here that are scared to go for stage 2 maps, just because they dont have downpipes.

(b) as for mods and money: I am not against downpipes. I never said they are a waste of money, I never even mentioned money. I just said they don't produce the marginal power gains people typically attribute to them. There are two reasons I did not get them: going catless in Germany does not only result in a ticket if you get caught, it voids your car registration and your insurance (yet there are still hardcore enthusiasts that run them around here). Before anyone suggests uninstalling the downpipes every two years for inspection, let me tell you how screwed up German police is: they will block a road and pull over every car that looks/sounds modded. They will then take a flashlight and inspect the whole car including underbody lying on the ground, measure ground clearance and wheel fender gaps. And if they find anything that is not stock and not specially permitted in your registration papers, you are in trouble.
The other reason is that MPE does notoriously not sound good with downpipes.
As for your point about eventuri intake: again, i never said if a mod does not add power (or power gain/price ratio is unattractive) nobody should buy it. There are many other reasons to get mods. As you pointed out, I absolutely love the sound of eventuri (looking back at it, a much cheaper aftermarket intake would have probably sounded as good, but then again I got a good deal and just loved the quality and looks of it).

Tracking: again there seems to be a myth that f8x is prone to overheating if modded... maybe in Texas summer weather, maybe with 700+whp, maybe in long endurance pro races... but in mild continental European weather I never had any limp modes or anything like that. Where I DO have heat issues though are the brakes, and I posted about this in the respective threads. This would be way off-topic here.

Stock clutch. No slippage yet. However I am still working with PTF on a custom tune to target top-end power and limit mid-range torque insanity.

sorry proTUNING Freaks

Last edited by Lojs; 10-23-2017 at 04:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 05:52 AM   #1386
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
I think you slightly misunderstood my point. You are mixing two issues here: (a) the necessity of downpipes for serious power gains with bm3 and (b) justification of money spent on downpipes.

(a) The first issue is the one I have been trying to stress. I would like to bust the myth that you can not go into the 500+whp territory unless you go catless. The problem with people hearing "dp highly recommended" from PTF or any other Subject Matter Expert results in the same effect as when people were switching their cell phones before aircraft takeoff for 20 years, sincerely believing the plane would crash otherwise (although I admit it was obligatory, not recommended). My point is: among people with somewhat limited technical background and experience if a reputable source repeats the same thing over and over they take it for granted, not even questioning the underlying reasons. There is probably a good number of people around here that are scared to go for stage 2 maps, just because they dont have downpipes.

(b) as for mods and money: I am not against downpipes. I never said they are a waste of money, I never even mentioned money. I just said they don't produce the marginal power gains people typically attribute to them. There are two reasons I did not get them: going catless in Germany does not only result in a ticket if you get caught, it voids your car registration and your insurance (yet there are still hardcore enthusiasts that run them around here). Before anyone suggests uninstalling the downpipes every two years for inspection, let me tell you how screwed up German police is: they will block a road and pull over every car that looks/sounds modded. They will then take a flashlight and inspect the whole car including underbody lying on the ground, measure ground clearance and wheel fender gaps. And if they find anything that is not stock and not specially permitted in your registration papers, you are in trouble.
The other reason is that MPE does notoriously not sound good with downpipes.
As for your point about eventuri intake: again, i never said if a mod does not add power (or power gain/price ratio is unattractive) nobody should buy it. There are many other reasons to get mods. As you pointed out, I absolutely love the sound of eventuri (looking back at it, a much cheaper aftermarket intake would have probably sounded as good, but then again I got a good deal and just loved the quality and looks of it).

Tracking: again there seems to be a myth that f8x is prone to overheating if modded... maybe in Texas summer weather, maybe with 700+whp, maybe in long endurance pro races... but in mild continental European weather I never had any limp modes or anything like that. Where I DO have heat issues though are the brakes, and I posted about this in the respective threads. This would be way off-topic here.

Stock clutch. No slippage yet. However I am still working with PTF on a custom tune to target top-end power and limit mid-range torque insanity.

sorry proTUNING Freaks
Relax Bro

Glad to hear that you are running fine with stock clutch. I really want to upgrade to PS2 turbos but dont want to go thorough the hassle of a clutch upgrade. What has your car been putting down?
Appreciate 0