Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #67
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

RealStig

I was there the same day. Great write up and your detail was much appreciated in your write up. I didn't get a chance to listen to the stereo myself at Detroit or Philly. Could it be an adjustment of bass/treble/fade or is the quality that much less? My Harmon Kardon e46 stereo was atrocious. I am hoping it is worth something over the base. I have the enhanced sound system in my M3 now, and I really like it
      02-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #68
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Nice honest & rational appraisal
      02-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #69
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congen View Post
Bloody hell not looking forward to your review of your driving it then hehe
Lol... made me laugh out loud.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #70
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
  1. I did not like the carbon fiber trim at all. It looks too "glossy" or "flashy". It's just too much out there. It may be fine for some people, but I'd prefer something more matte. For someone who doesn't know anything about carbon fiber, it looks like plastic and I can tell you I have heard similar comments from lots of people who were getting in the car that day (including my wife!).
Not to belabor the point, but I think the M Performance Interior trim gets the CF texture right.

Unfortunately, the dashboard piece is alcantara instead of CF. That isn't so bad itself but the tacky M Performance text really kind of ruins it. I wouldn't even mind if it just said "///M", but with the word "performance" it would look as if it's a chest thumping statement since no one will know that it's just the brand name of the parts.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698981

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #71
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Look at the 4 series individual "preview" thread on the 4 forum. One could make the interior quite impressive for money that would put it in the M5 range but it would still be M3 size and weight.

Who knows what Individual could do for sound if properly motivated ($$$).

EDIT: Mkoesel I agree on the CF bits you linked. Much better looking except for the cheese logo. I hate the high gloss plastic because it shows every friggin swirl in the universe. I'll probably go aluminum as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #72
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbockrd View Post
RealStig

I was there the same day. Great write up and your detail was much appreciated in your write up. I didn't get a chance to listen to the stereo myself at Detroit or Philly. Could it be an adjustment of bass/treble/fade or is the quality that much less? My Harmon Kardon e46 stereo was atrocious. I am hoping it is worth something over the base. I have the enhanced sound system in my M3 now, and I really like it
I set up the equalizer to my liking in the car along with bass and treble. It is definitely a good system and a step above the stock sound but it is no EPS. I think EPS is a notch or two above this system. I'd say EPS is as close to B&O you can get and there is a big difference between B&O and HK sound system and EPS is in between, closer to the B&O than it is to HK.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #73
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Not to belabor the point, but I think the M Performance Interior trim gets the CF texture right.

Unfortunately, the dashboard piece is alcantara instead of CF. That isn't so bad itself but the tacky M Performance text really kind of ruins it. I wouldn't even mind if it just said "///M", but with the word "performance" it would look as if it's a chest thumping statement since no one will know that it's just the brand name of the parts.

Ah! Thats the CF I want! Now you are going to make me look into M performance parts all the time
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #74
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:

interesting

I think that looks much worse than what is in the new m3. to each their own for sure
      02-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #75
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbockrd View Post
RealStig

HK in my E46 M3 was horrendous. One of the worst sounding systems I'd ever had, also didn't help that they had a terrible problem of the door card rattling when there was heavy bass tunes.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #76
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower3330 View Post
HK in my E46 M3 was horrendous. One of the worst sounding systems I'd ever had, also didn't help that they had a terrible problem of the door card rattling when there was heavy bass tunes.
exactly!!!! Ugh plus I had a convertible that you couldn't hear anything with the top down
      02-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #77
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I set up the equalizer to my liking in the car along with bass and treble. It is definitely a good system and a step above the stock sound but it is no EPS. I think EPS is a notch or two above this system. I'd say EPS is as close to B&O you can get and there is a big difference between B&O and HK sound system and EPS is in between, closer to the B&O than it is to HK.
That's a shame. I'd cough up 1900, but not 4k for a B&O system
      02-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #78
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

I just want some carbon leather damn it. The CF trim is just excess to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #79
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

that looks awful on a tan interior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost like putting perfume on a goat!!!!
      02-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #80
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
I have no other choice not because I am in love with it.
So you are buying an M3 because you have no other choice and you pretty much dislike it?

I'm lost.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #81
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post
So you are buying an M3 because you have no other choice and you pretty much dislike it?

I'm lost.
He's back on that nonsense again? Sigh! I guess it never ends with him. He acts like he doesn't have a choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #82
doktordyper
Rep
Drives: porsche 997 C4S

hi,

i' a Porsche/audi guy (A4, S4 and RS4 & 10 911's, just sold my 997 C4S, cars dating all the way back to 1976) and am seriously considering an M4 because it meets my currents needs better than anything else currently available.

Just wanted to say you guys are funny. I just love car forums. My staple has always been www.6speedonline.com, the difference in demographic is fascinating.

As Ringo would say: "I say this with peace and love. Peace and love.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #83
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Here is the issue, you pointed out your opinion and I am pointing mine to disagree with your points. We all did thank you for your time and posting the pictures. Have you noticed that I am not the only one is noticing your up and down posts about the car?

Your posts have all been very inconsistent the entire time I have seen you here, when somone states they dont like the car/sold on it yet they are going to buy it just doesnt make any sense...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #84
doktordyper
Rep
Drives: porsche 997 C4S

realstig,

I appreciated your write-up. You're still funny, though

The only issue I have with you, is that I'm the real stig. I have a t-shirt that proves it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #85
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
I am buying it. I have one on order. Unless the steering turns out to be a big flop, I will buy it. But I am buying it more so because I have no other choice not because I am in love with it. It is an incremental update to the current M3, comes with new tires, warranty, free maintenance. That's about it. Its the sensible and logical thing to do for me.
Buying a new $70-80k car just to have new tires, warranty, free maintenance, and for the most part seems to have more down grades than upsides in your opinion, does not seem like a logical thing to do. Especially when you are not in love with the car.

BTW, I still appreciate you taking the time to post your review and all the photos.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #86
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Buying a new $70-80k car just to have new tires, warranty, free maintenance, and for the most part seems to have more down grades than upsides in your opinion, does not seem like a logical thing to do. Especially when you are not in love with the car.

BTW, I still appreciate you taking the time to post your review and all the photos.
Ok lets just forget about why i am buying this car and move on shall we? I didnt mean this thread to turn into "why stig should or shouldnt buy the m3". I wanted it to be a helpful thread for others with lots of information.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #87
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Ok lets just forget about why i am buying this car and move on shall we? I didnt mean this thread to turn into "why stig should or shouldnt buy the m3". I wanted it to be a helpful thread for others with lots of information.
I actually hope you hate the steering to see if you STILL buy the car.

[Inception in process]
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #88
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

RealStig:

I also appreciate you taking the time to post this and the photos. I think that where this thread got a bit derailed is when it both in the OP and later on became clear that you was expecting it to be a M5 on the inside, and was disappointed when it wasn't.

Many posters felt that some of your negative points was unjustified because they where based on false/wrong premises. You basically said that you expected a M5 interior and instead of acknowledging that, obviously, a M3/4 is NOT a M5 you defended that it should be of M5 quality inside.

Just like a E9x M3 is using E9x 3-series dash, interior parts etc. So does the F8x. Shouldn't be a surprise...

And in these quotes your negatives are as big as the positives, kind of confusing why you still want a car with so many negatives to many...

Quote:
That being said, there are a lot of areas where I was a bit annoyed to be honest with everyone. For some reason, it still does not feel like a premium car. Both my wife and another friend of mine who used to own a E92 M3 (now drives an E class) said the same thing - it feels like a 3 series with better leather and does not really look amazing. It's still plastic this and plastic that. The door handles are the same. Air vents are the same. Buttons are the same. Its subtle small differences but when they add up, they look underwhelming. The problem is, competition has caught up and with the improvements in M5, I was hoping that this car would be something which in reality I found out it is not going to be. It's not that it can't, it's because BMW won't let it
Quote:
The point I was trying to make is, I wanted to put a green check mark right next to that 50% "looks" section and I couldn't with my eyes closed. I needed weigh positives and negatives and as you can see there are quite a lot of negatives as much as positives. To me, it wasn't a "clear" winner like the current car was 4 years ago. Or the M5 was right now. When I sat in an M5, I was sold, right there, right then. If it weren't for the 4400 lbs weight, I would have bought one right away and never bothered with this car. I wanted to feel the same way and I couldn't. This does not mean that this is a bad car. It is a great car.
And this last part kind of goes against the fact that there are a number of E9x owners on the order list as well as current M5 owners that seem to like the F8x...

Quote:
The problem is, people like myself who are used to the current M3 for some time now and who were maybe in the market at some point for an M5 have a lot more expectations from this car. We are coming from two different backgrounds basically, apples to oranges if you will. I mean no disrespect when I say this, I also came from a 335 at some point so I know it feels like. The point is, while coming from a 335 or another lower brand, paying MSRP/bad residuals for this car right now may seem fine, that may not be case for others like myself.
Appreciate 0