Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: Is Individual paint a scam?
Individual paint is a scam, BMW should offer more standard colors! 139 54.51%
Individual paint FTW, I need 50 shades of grey! 116 45.49%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

11-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #133
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3

I want that San Marino m3 can't find on cars.com
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:59 AM   #134
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Could be Benz and offer white, black and three shades of grey with no option of an individual program. Audi has their colors program and Porsche has PTS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:34 PM   #135
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

The cost of individual colours should be double - given the cost associated with the annoyance to the production line.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #136
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

bmw gives plenty of cool colors, standard. You want something cooler, pay up. simple.

If you think about it, AMG gives you dick. White, black, silver, want something else? kick rocks
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:36 AM   #137
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

I think the standard individual colors are cool. I love my CQM, and Tanzanite is awesome. I think they are more dynamic colors in general. The 5k individual are tougher to swallow, but one day I will have an individual blue (like Santorini) or a PTS 911. It’s happening.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #138
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
I think the standard individual colors are cool. I love my CQM, and Tanzanite is awesome. I think they are more dynamic colors in general. The 5k individual are tougher to swallow, but one day I will have an individual blue (like Santorini) or a PTS 911. It’s happening.

when residualized into the lease, it's nothing. couple more bucks a month..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #139
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Yeah...my Tanzanite M3 is just exactly the shade I really wanted.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #140
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
I wouldn't call it shady or a scam. You have to understand the process and lability involved first.

For instance, individual paint is pulled off the assembly line and painted by human, not a robot like the standard production colors. Therefore there is more time and labor involved.

With this in mind, not all BMW M's individual paints are the same because the work shifts change and so do the employees which result into an even more "individual" paint application.

Now add that to the probability of the individual paint being defective, applied incorrectly or sparsely and needing a respray (the latter being the case for me).

That can easily add up to thousands of dollars in additional cost. I think BMW pad's the cost (a lot) to allow for defects/errors in the paint to be corrected without affecting the bottomline.

*Side Note: BMW sent their paint director from Germany to meet with me about my individual M. He confirmed that there was a lack of paint on my vehicle and offered to build me another M with the proper paint. A few months later a new M3 arrived at the dealer and they just exchanged the M with defective paint for an exact build with perfect paint + Comp Pack. Couldn't be any happier!

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #141
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I think the individual option is amazing. How many other companies allow you to choose virtually any color you want? If you dont like it dont do it. But for most people that go individual I would think the ~$5k or so extra is well worth it to have a unique color of their exact choosing.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #142
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Not a scam at all - super cool to be able to order in whatever the fvck color you want.
      11-23-2019, 06:17 AM   #143
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasko View Post
I wouldn't call it shady or a scam. You have to understand the process and lability involved first.

For instance, individual paint is pulled off the assembly line and painted by human, not a robot like the standard production colors. Therefore there is more time and labor involved.

With this in mind, not all BMW M's individual paints are the same because the work shifts change and so do the employees which result into an even more "individual" paint application.

Now add that to the probability of the individual paint being defective, applied incorrectly or sparsely and needing a respray (the latter being the case for me).

That can easily add up to thousands of dollars in additional cost. I think BMW pad's the cost (a lot) to allow for defects/errors in the paint to be corrected without affecting the bottomline.

*Side Note: BMW sent their paint director from Germany to meet with me about my individual M. He confirmed that there was a lack of paint on my vehicle and offered to build me another M with the proper paint. A few months later a new M3 arrived at the dealer and they just exchanged the M with defective paint for an exact build with perfect paint + Comp Pack. Couldn't be any happier!

Highly doubt this. I've heard numerous things about the process, but never that. Source?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #144
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Highly doubt this. I've heard numerous things about the process, but never that. Source?

Source? How about first hand experience? I did Euro Delivery on my individual Laguna Seca Blue M3. If you would like to learn more check out links below.

Euro Delivery

2016 M3 ZCP

Finally Arrived

8 Page thread on another forum member with similar experience.

I suggest doing a Euro Delivery and taking the factory tour. You will learn a lot from the tour. Especially if you ask the right questions.

Here's a link to both of my M's parked next to each other. You cannot tell in the video, but the non-competition M on the right had the defective paint. Hence why I requested to have all the (white) paint wrapping to be left on the car so that I can inspect with the paint director upon arrival and a vid of my M3 CP sparkling in the sunshine.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 06:34 PM   #145
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Individual is absolutely hand sprayed. At least it is at Regensburg, on a separate line.

The cost is in the fact that the chassis has to be pulled to a separate line along with all of the bolt on components that are body color. That doesn't happen with production colors. Then everything has to be manually reintegrated to the main line for assembly. It's pretty damn impressive to be honest.

The US only gets access to Individual on higher lines and M models. Rest of world is not as restricted.
Appreciate 1
Brasko1418.00
      11-26-2019, 12:21 AM   #146
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Individual is absolutely hand sprayed. At least it is at Regensburg, on a separate line.

The cost is in the fact that the chassis has to be pulled to a separate line along with all of the bolt on components that are body color. That doesn't happen with production colors. Then everything has to be manually reintegrated to the main line for assembly. It's pretty damn impressive to be honest.

The US only gets access to Individual on higher lines and M models. Rest of world is not as restricted.

Exactly what I tried to explain above. I think BMW should put more emphasis on the hand-painted aspect of the individual program. That might help others understand the process a little more.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:43 PM   #147
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Not a scam at all - super cool to be able to order in whatever the fvck color you want.
Seriously. The standard colors are fantastic and you can pick Individual for not a lot more than a wrap job. Not sure why people are complaining.
Appreciate 0