Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-20-2022, 09:52 PM   #1
DeepakN
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Question F82 M4 Rust\Corrosion on Engine Hinge?

Hi Guys,

I am looking at purchasing a 2017 F82 M4 which has around 18k km mileage and so far on this surface it looks great. There are a couple of small scratches which I am OK with, but there are 2 issues that I am concerned with, the main is that there seems to be corrosion of some sort on the engine hinge, and a stain of some sort that is on the roof. (photo's attached)

The owner says it is common and maybe due to the fact that the car is garaged and not used, but I am not convinced.

Are these major issues that I should be concerned about or are they common enough that they repairable without costing an arm and a leg?

Really appreciate your thoughts and guidance on this !

Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 12:10 AM   #2
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Not normal or common. Keep on moving, something happened to that car.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 11:11 AM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakN View Post
Hi Guys,

I am looking at purchasing a 2017 F82 M4 which has around 18k km mileage and so far on this surface it looks great. There are a couple of small scratches which I am OK with, but there are 2 issues that I am concerned with, the main is that there seems to be corrosion of some sort on the engine hinge, and a stain of some sort that is on the roof. (photo's attached)

The owner says it is common and maybe due to the fact that the car is garaged and not used, but I am not convinced.

Are these major issues that I should be concerned about or are they common enough that they repairable without costing an arm and a leg?

Really appreciate your thoughts and guidance on this !

Cheers!
That corrosion is not normal. Maybe the hood was misaligned and rubbed on it? Is there are matching scratch under the hood?

That roof stain looks like clear coat failure beginning on the carbon fiber which is something you probably don't want to deal with unless you're near a shop that can repair carbon fiber in the future.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 06:53 AM   #4
DeepakN
Registered
Rep

Thanks so much guys, appreciate the feedback. It's a shame as I am/was pretty set on it otherwise. I'm no mechanic so don't want to chance it. The search continues...
Appreciate 0