ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

06-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #111
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335 View Post
Oh I completely understand and appreciate the skill, I've been to drifting events. My point was what are journos trying to prove putting road cars through those kinds of displays other than our gratuitous entertainment.
i still cant get past the "recover" part. never was able to control the back end on that circle. and when you watch how fast chris harris' hands move when he's wailing on a car, you have to be impressed.

I also think journos especially will never get within miles of these cars so why not flog them a bit.

Last edited by yoelev; 06-26-2014 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #112
123sub
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCobra08 View Post
"...it just sounds amazing"
The N/A RS5 engine sounds amazing. The M4 looks and drives amazing, but a turbo never sounds amazing.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #113
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelev View Post
i still cant get past the "recover" part. never was able to control the back end on that circle. and when you watch how fast chris harris' hands move when he's wailing on a car, you have to be impressed.

I also think journos especially will never get within miles of these cars so why not flog them a bit.
Haha yeh true enough....suppose if I was one I would flog the living daylights out of them
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #114
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335
The jounro's are a bit "damned if they do damned if they don't" at the moment with the M3/4.

Everyone wants comparisons but the fundamental problem is that the M4 is the first new-gen car into its segment. Especially regarding its key global competitiion - Audi and Merc.

So they are either comparing it to older products (e.g. RS5), which of course it beats, or cars from difference market segments (911 etc), which of course it tends to lose to.

The meaningful and crucial reviews for most potential buyers will come when the new C63 and Audi XYZ (and some of the other fringe sedan based GT cars, perhaps Jag, Maser etc) come out.

As for the drifting.....all I see when I see these reviewers doing this ad nauseum is a car and tyres being tortured in order to get around a corner slower than you could without said torture. Makes no sense other than as a silly marketing show-boat.
Amen! Drifting to show a road cars capabilities is pointless. Not the fastest way to take a corner. Juvenile if you ask me.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #115
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Amen! Drifting to show a road cars capabilities is pointless. Not the fastest way to take a corner. Juvenile if you ask me.
The positive I take from it is that the engine is responsive and not overcome with lag as the throttle is modulated. That's my top concern with the new engine - how much responsiveness was lost by going turbo?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #116
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
He claims that he can't turn the stability control off in the RS5 (which you absolutely can) yet he tries tossing the RS5 around as if it's a rwd BMW and then complains that the stability control steps in . He also says the RS5 has 430hp when it has 450hp. Comments like "I'm excited to drive the M4 but first I have to drive the Audi" show where his preconceived notions lay. Not saying the RS5 would or should win but he also sold the RS5 a bit short despite him saying that it's the supposed benchmark in the beginning. To me that's more of a self serving comment for the M4 than a true compliment of the RS5. As in hey look the M4 beat the "benchmark"
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #117
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
As in hey look the M4 beat the "benchmark"
But it did
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #118
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
But it did
It did. If you consider the RS5 the "benchmark" which I personally have never heard anyone prior to this track battle refer to the RS5 as the benchmark and I know that most on this forum wouldn't agree with that statement either lol
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #119
M3roar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 e92  [9.34]
1998 BMW M3  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
When I get mine in September you and I can review them together and report back. Ive only driven a e92 once and would love to get back in one. Im sure you'd like to see what a e82 drives like as well. Keep in touch and we will make this happen.
Lets sign up for a track day with the M club of Houston. I'm a bit rusty but we can definitely see the difference! GoPros everywhere hahaha.