Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

04-12-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
Paul SR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Touring

KW HAS or BMW M HAS?

Has anyone had these fitted to their cars and which one would you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

I have the BMW HAS which preserves the BMW warranty perfectly.

Some will say they are identical kits; I doubt that very much but also the BMW kit is 100% type tested and TUV approved for the car.

Coil-overs are of course ultimately better.
      04-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
Paul SR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M3CP View Post
I have the BMW HAS which preserves the BMW warranty perfectly.

Some will say they are identical kits; I doubt that very much but also the BMW kit is 100% type tested and TUV approved for the car.

Coil-overs are of course ultimately better.
So you recommend HAS over just H&R , ACS springs? I thought the BMW HAS was made by KW?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 01:35 AM   #4
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

I liked the idea of adjustability as I'm going to have the car corner balanced; this excluded Eibach and ACS (I had ACS on a previous car and they seemed good).

The BMW kit retains warranty and can be bought at a much more reasonable £950 ish with some negotiation.

The KW kit is cheaper since it's after market but therefore it would need to be fitted elsewhere and BMW will wash their hands of suspension issues potentially.

I've seen no hard evidence other than people's speculation that the KW and BMW kits are the same. Even if KW or Eibach make the springs, again I have seen nothing to confirm they are the same specification. This probably doesn't matter a jot anyway.

As I've said, for me it came down to warranty. This and the adjustability lead me to BMW HAS - on a £73k car it made no sense to me to save a couple of hundred quid when an OEM option was available.
Paul SR42.50
M4T.O.15.50
      04-13-2018, 03:49 AM   #5
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul SR View Post
So you recommend HAS over just H&R , ACS springs? I thought the BMW HAS was made by KW?
Made by KW to BMW specs rather than the generic offering from KW plus you keep your warranty which is important if you get EDC issues.

ACS are a good alternative as they provide a warranty and will stand by their product if you have issues.
M4T.O.15.50
      04-14-2018, 07:15 AM   #6
Paul SR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M3CP View Post
I liked the idea of adjustability as I'm going to have the car corner balanced; this excluded Eibach and ACS (I had ACS on a previous car and they seemed good).

The BMW kit retains warranty and can be bought at a much more reasonable £950 ish with some negotiation.

The KW kit is cheaper since it's after market but therefore it would need to be fitted elsewhere and BMW will wash their hands of suspension issues potentially.

I've seen no hard evidence other than people's speculation that the KW and BMW kits are the same. Even if KW or Eibach make the springs, again I have seen nothing to confirm they are the same specification. This probably doesn't matter a jot anyway.

As I've said, for me it came down to warranty. This and the adjustability lead me to BMW HAS - on a £73k car it made no sense to me to save a couple of hundred quid when an OEM option was available.
BMW HAS - is fitting on top of the price mentioned above?

What is corner balancing?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 07:17 AM   #7
Paul SR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So if I have the kit or springs to lower the ride height would I need to have the geometry set up?

Would need to add spacers as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #8
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

If you only want the springs for aesthetics - just go for Eibachs as they're the cheapest (£300 ish fitted I guess).

BMW HAS kit with fitting and full KDS wheel alignment cost be around £1,500.

Corner balancing includes adjustment of the weight distribution so you get best possible handling. This is only possible of course with an adjustable kit like HAS or coilovers.
      04-14-2018, 10:50 AM   #9
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul SR View Post
So if I have the kit or springs to lower the ride height would I need to have the geometry set up?

Would need to add spacers as well?
Yes if you lower the ride height you'll need an alignment, you don't need to add spacers.

The MP HAS kit is not cheap for essentially what is a set of height adjustable springs but it transformed the handling of my car. (my invoice was £1850 supply/fit/kds/istep flash)

It's gone from being a bit of a handful at times to being a bit of weapon that I can trust especially combined with the later istep level which altered the engine dynamics giving a more progressive torque delivery.

But if you just want the lowered looks and already have a newer model then you can look to ACS or fit the KW HAS as a compromise.
      04-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Yes if you lower the ride height you'll need an alignment, you don't need to add spacers.

The MP HAS kit is not cheap for essentially what is a set of height adjustable springs but it transformed the handling of my car. (my invoice was £1850 supply/fit/kds/istep flash)

It's gone from being a bit of a handful at times to being a bit of weapon that I can trust especially combined with the later istep level which altered the engine dynamics giving a more progressive torque delivery.

But if you just want the lowered looks and already have a newer model then you can look to ACS or fit the KW HAS as a compromise.

Wills,
When you say istep level, what actually is that ?. Thinking of maybe going BMW HAS, if i buy another.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #11
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 YMB-MP Carbon-MPE Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Wills,
When you say istep level, what actually is that ?. Thinking of maybe going BMW HAS, if i buy another.
Hello Simon, all good i hope

To add to this thread, I've been running KW HAS for almost 2 years, you know i did this soon after i picked up the car, no issues whatsoever, the BMW MP HAS kit was still in the pipeline at the time, both kits are made by KW and tbh they are identical other than the colour, its wether you have the appetite to go out side warranty on your suspension, having recently visited the dealers they compliment the stance.

Lakes run needed at some point

Regards
John
      04-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #12
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 YMB-MP Carbon-MPE Carbon

Quick picture of KW - HAS
Attached Images

04-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #13
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretrees View Post
Quick picture of KW - HAS
Wow!! If that is yours, that is a stunning looking car!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #14
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretrees View Post
Hello Simon, all good i hope

To add to this thread, I've been running KW HAS for almost 2 years, you know i did this soon after i picked up the car, no issues whatsoever, the BMW MP HAS kit was still in the pipeline at the time, both kits are made by KW and tbh they are identical other than the colour, its wether you have the appetite to go out side warranty on your suspension, having recently visited the dealers they compliment the stance.

Lakes run needed at some point

Regards
John
Hi John,
All good here thanks, hope the same goes for you ?. Have you had any issues with clearance with the HAS ?, Lakes run again would be great for a catch up. I popped up to Dereks last summer, after we had spoken last time, a great fellow. Hopefully see you soon
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #15
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Wills,
istep is the software that runs the car BMW have released many updates over the last 3-4 years for our cars, some give major changes some small changes, after installing the HAS kit you get an istep re-flash depending on the age of your car the changes could be dramatic or subtle.
      04-15-2018, 03:00 AM   #16
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
istep is the software that runs the car BMW have released many updates over the last 3-4 years for our cars, some give major changes some small changes, after installing the HAS kit you get an istep re-flash depending on the age of your car the changes could be dramatic or subtle.
Ok Wills,
Was aware of the software updates etc, but never known it by this description. So if the BMW HAS, was put onto a 2018 car, with the latest software, they wouldnt have to reflash, or is there a flash just for the HAS, would you know ?.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 06:07 AM   #17
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Ok Wills,
Was aware of the software updates etc, but never known it by this description. So if the BMW HAS, was put onto a 2018 car, with the latest software, they wouldnt have to reflash, or is there a flash just for the HAS, would you know ?.
The istep flash isn't for the HAS per se as that's not connected electronically to the car but it's part of the fitting instructions.

In older cars like mine it's transformative in a new 2018 car you'll already have one of the latest versions.

Look on the main forum for more info, huge thread running on it including all the versions.
      04-15-2018, 06:29 AM   #18
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 MW M3

M performance has
Attached Images

2018 F80 M3 ZCP Mineral White- Extended Shakir Orange - Full Suntek Ultra Wrapped - ///M Performance Spoiler - RKP Front Lip - RKP Side Skirts - Vorsteiner GTS Diffuser -AA Mid-Pipe-///M performance HAS kit - HRE P101

11 E90 M3 JEREZ BLK METALLIC ZCP SOLD
Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      04-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #19
SO17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MY M4CP

They may look identical but the spring rates differ. I queried the spring rates of the KW HAS and said that I have a MY 18 CP car and I like the ride quality as it is. It's a daily driver and all I really want to do is get rid of the wheel arch gaps. KW responded by stating 'Take the MP HAS'.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 05:12 AM   #20
Paul SR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What about when the car is fully loaded with people and luggage - would there be potential issues with rubbing or bump stops? Also I have fitted the CS splitter so it sticks out a little more than the other splitter.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 07:43 AM   #21
moonluv810
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3, 2018 BMW M3, 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO17 View Post
They may look identical but the spring rates differ. I queried the spring rates of the KW HAS and said that I have a MY 18 CP car and I like the ride quality as it is. It's a daily driver and all I really want to do is get rid of the wheel arch gaps. KW responded by stating 'Take the MP HAS'.
Did they elaborate on why they suggested MP over their own product? Spring rates?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #22
SO17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MY M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonluv810 View Post
Did they elaborate on why they suggested MP over their own product? Spring rates?
They gave me the rear spring rate in Newtons - 180 which I then ran through a convertor to lb/in, which came out a lot higher than OEM, but they couldn't provide the front spring rate as it's a progressive spring. Below is a quote:

Perfect for the OEM dampers to have a comfortable ride with your car on public roads and use your M as a commuter... Keep the MP HAS

From the rear spring rate and the quote, I concluded that the front springs are also a lot higher than the MP HAS
Appreciate 1
moonluv8102494.00