Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
The F8X cars are paving a way for some new tech to be added onto these vehicles. I wanted to see what the owners insights are for these new options. Usually when I'm reading these reviews all I really want to know is if X option is worth it or not and what they really think about it. Maybe this can be a way to saturate the popular but luxury items we all are wondering about as the M3/M4 climbs into a at minimum msrp+ 10k car to option out "decently."

FULL LEATHER OPTION $3,600

Must Have or Most Regretful?

I wanted this option available since the introduction of the E9X M's. The only problem is that it is a costly option. The plastic on the dash gets hidden and the stitching is something that may or may not be admirable to consumers.

LED LIGHTING PACK $1,900

The transition from Xenon to LED Lighting for BMW happened mainly after the 5/6 series refresh. These days if you look for a m5/m6 you cannot find one without The LED lighting package. I feel like this is parallel to the whole halogen to xenon transition where we are going from Xenon to LED. The question is - does it work well for the money? Are we looking at a Option that if you don't get with the vehicle it will be harder to sell later on? (Like selling a e46 m3 with halogen headlamps)

DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACK $1,900

Side cams, lane departure warning, blind spot detector, and speed limit info. Worth it or not? Is the vehicle too small to have a use for this?

6 SPEED MANUAL OR DOUBLE CLUTCH $2,900

If you know how to start the car in 1st and how to reverse on a manual transmission, then that's all you really need to know to operate a manual on this car. Hill assist and rev matching features will take care everything while changing gears. The manual transmission is supposed to be a sizeable amount better. So is the DCT really worth it for $2,900? Would you give up the DCT and get full leather for 700 bucks more? Or maybe opt for the LED Lighting pack + 19" Wheels and put in $200 more.

ADAPTIVE M SUSP. - $1,000

Non Adaptive M suspension is supposed to be a static suspension with a stiffness that can equate to something between Sport and Sport+. Adaptive M suspension is supposed to always change stiffness depending on what the sensors tell it what to do. Is it worth it? Its a lower cost Item.

I would love to hear what the owners have to contribute. I hope to read some great insights from owners who really use this car frequently as I am a person who drives 35k+ a year and I DD everything that goes in my garage.
      07-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5 2007 E60 550i

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
The F8X cars are paving a way for some new tech to be added onto these vehicles. I wanted to see what the owners insights are for these new options. Usually when I'm reading these reviews all I really want to know is if X option is worth it or not and what they really think about it. Maybe this can be a way to saturate the popular but luxury items we all are wondering about as the M3/M4 climbs into a at minimum msrp+ 10k car to option out "decently."

I wanted this option available since the introduction of the E9X M's. The only problem is that it is a costly option. The plastic on the dash gets hidden and the stitching is something that may or may not be admirable to consumers.

LED LIGHTING PACK $1,900

The transition from Xenon to LED Lighting for BMW happened mainly after the 5/6 series refresh. These days if you look for a m5/m6 you cannot find one without The LED lighting package. I feel like this is parallel to the whole halogen to xenon transition whereas we are not going from Xenon to LED Pack. The question is - does it work well for the money? Are we looking at a Option that if you don't get with the vehicle it will be harder to sell later on? (Like selling a e46 m3 with halogen headlamps)

Side cams, lane departure warning, blind spot detector, and speed limit info. Worth it or not? Is the vehicle too small to have a use for this?

If you know how to start the car in 1st and how to reverse on a manual transmission, then that's all you really need to know to operate a manual on this car. Hill assist and rev matching features will take care everything while changing gears. The manual transmission is supposed to be a sizeable amount better. So is the DCT really worth it for $2,900? Would you give up the DCT and get full leather for 700 bucks more? Or maybe opt for the LED Lighting pack + 19" Wheels and put in $200 more.

Non Adaptive M suspension is supposed to be a static suspension with a stiffness that can equate to something between Sport and Sport+. Adaptive M suspension is supposed to always change stiffness depending on what the sensors tell it what to do. Is it worth it? Its a lower cost Item.
1. Absolutely.
2. Cool tech, worthy of purchase
3. The jury is out. I have it on my build.
4. If you like rowing gears, get the 6MT. This was my hardest decision.
5. Worthy I feel of purchase
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
The plastic on the dash gets hidden and the stitching is something that may or may not be admirable to consumers.
Are you serious? Contrast stitching is always more high class. I guess some consumers don't care for high class.

Quote:
...parallel to the whole halogen to xenon transition
Is LED really that much better? I'm still undecided on this. The full LED functionality is not offered to us in the US. But you can code for it, so maybe it is worth it.

Quote:
Only speed limit info. I would be staying away from this package.

Quote:
So is the DCT really worth it for $2,900?
Another one I'm undecided on. I like the 6MT in the E92 and I hear the new one is even better. But I'm older and hit traffic more often than I want. (But who ever wants to hit traffic?) That DCT will make sure the muscles in my left leg are no bigger than the right.

Quote:
Non Adaptive M suspension is supposed to be a static suspension with a stiffness that can equate to something between Sport and Sport+. Adaptive M suspension is supposed to always change stiffness depending on what the sensors tell it what to do. Is it worth it?
Adaptive for me. But having said this, I have not driven one yet. My test drive was in non-adaptive suspension equipped M4 and it seemed pretty good to me. More than livable, even in traffic and bad roads.

For the F8x, I think that any way you configure the options it will still be an excellent DD.

Cheers.
      07-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

LED LIGHTING PACK $1,900

The transition from Xenon to LED Lighting for BMW happened mainly after the 5/6 series refresh. These days if you look for a m5/m6 you cannot find one without The LED lighting package. I feel like this is parallel to the whole halogen to xenon transition whereas we are not going from Xenon to LED Pack. The question is - does it work well for the money? Are we looking at a Option that if you don't get with the vehicle it will be harder to sell later on? (Like selling a e46 m3 with halogen headlamps)

I would love to hear what the owners have to contribute. I hope to read some great insights from owners who really use this car frequently as I am a person who drives 35k+ a year and I DD everything that goes in my garage.
  1. Must have (for this particular car) IF you value a relatively upscale feeling in the cabin of a car.
  2. New tech, not necessary. Apparently some believe that you can see an ant blink if you check this option box.
  3. Ehhhh, pass!
  4. IF you prefer a tactile experience and don't have weak legs that can't sustain a clutch push here & there in traffic, get the 6MT. If you like video games and enjoy engaging in hypothetical track scenarios where you'll gain a quarter of a second due to your shifting endeavors, get the DCT.
  5. You could do without it, but most will tell you to get it. I say for $1000 it's worth it. If you like to mod suspensions (..i.e. coilovers), pass on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
JL M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I think it depends on personal taste and preferences.

I didn't get full leather. After sitting in 21 M3/M4s over a week in all color/leather combinations, I have no regret going with extended. Is the full leather gorgeous? Absolutely. Is it worth the price to ME? No. A few others on our trip agreed. Other's on the trip would have paid more for full leather, because it made sense to THEM. So at the end of the day, comes down to personal preference.

I feel the same way about LED lighting...doesn't make sense to ME. But they did look nice in the dark forests around Nurburgring.

I have blind spot, top down camera, etc. on my 535i and never use it. Wife likes the blind spot detection. But I must say, speed limit info would have been very very nice during ED. Still crossing my fingers that speeding tickets don't show up in the mail in a few weeks.

Very happy with adaptive M. But I'm an average Joe with kids. Read Karussell's review for a racer's perspective.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
NullCheck
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

LED LIGHTING PACK $1,900

Maybe driver assist. I have everything else you mentioned here (except 6MT) and I'm not regretting any way. Drivers assist is a bit of a waste of money in this car. But 1900 is not much in a 81k car.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
RickMonet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:

LED LIGHTING PACK $1,900

OP, you forgot to ask about CCB - worth $8150?

What I read is (yes for track) and (no for daily driver). But sure would be nice to get rid of all that brake dust!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:

LED LIGHTING PACK $1,900

Here's what's worth it for my money:

Full leather - yes
LED lighting - no
Driver's Ass. - no (hell, even Exec Pkg isn't worth it for me)
DCT - no - going manual
Adaptive Suspension - yes

like most orders, mine is probably going to be close to $80k. I'm basically skipping a few of the popular options (Exec, LED, DCT, etc.) to make me feel better about getting the CCB's. I just couldn't order an $80k+ M3 in good conscience.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
phear_me
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

[QUOTE=a burrito;16226151]The F8X cars are paving a way for some new tech to be added onto these vehicles. I wanted to see what the owners insights are for these new options. Usually when I'm reading these reviews all I really want to know is if X option is worth it or not and what they really think about it. Maybe this can be a way to saturate the popular but luxury items we all are wondering about as the M3/M4 climbs into a at minimum msrp+ 10k car to option out "decently."

Worth it for most - but it's the first thing to chuck if you're on a budget given its price.

LED LIGHTING PACK $1,900

Worth it.

50/50. I have it on mine, but only because it wasn't that expensive once I added the optional cameras without it. Thought it could make a difference and possibly save someone's life - ESPECIALLY if my g/f (a.k.a. "The Sassy Assassin") drives the car.

Total preference - but you get a statistically significant performance boost for the DCT. I chose DCT - and this is my first non-manual car in 15 years as I value performance over tradition.

Absolutely worth it. It's a superior system at a very small cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #10
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMonet View Post
OP, you forgot to ask about CCB - worth $8150?

What I read is (yes for track) and (no for daily driver). But sure would be nice to get rid of all that brake dust!
This actually makes no sense to me at all. The steel brakes perform just fine, and the ceramics will be way too expensive to replace down the road when they get inevitably fucked up on the track (look at all the Porsche guys).

On a daily driver, though, no brake dust to keep the car cleaner, and you'll probably never have to worry about the rotors for the life of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
JL M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
This actually makes no sense to me at all. The steel brakes perform just fine, and the ceramics will be way too expensive to replace down the road when they get inevitably fucked up on the track (look at all the Porsche guys).

On a daily driver, though, no brake dust to keep the car cleaner, and you'll probably never have to worry about the rotors for the life of the car.
All the GT3 guys I know with CCBs switch to steel rotors for track, and only put the CCBs back on when they sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #12
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL M3 View Post
All the GT3 guys I know with CCBs switch to steel rotors for track, and only put the CCBs back on when they sell the car.
A buddy of mine with a Vette ZR1 did the same thing. Why are potential F8X ///M owners so obsessed with these things again?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #13
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

GBPackerfan1963, thanks for the reply. DCT has really come a long way and now the transmission choices are even tougher with BMW emphasizing upgrades on their manual transmissions. But question is - Are they too late? And is the DCT a better transmission for a turbocharged vehicle? Super subjective, I know.

RickMonet, I did leave out the CCB's on purpose. I figured the consumer for that would either be the guy who is buying the stripper M3 with DCT/6mt, Cloth or the guy that is buying the vehicle with all the bells and whistles. In any case both consumers sitting at either ends of the spectrum in terms of actual usability.

Ersin, JL M3, Sedan_Clan, NullCheck, Brosef Thank you all for the replies!