Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #23
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

If you search I did a full break down on the RCF vs M3.

I owned two ISF's and a RCF prior to picking up my F80.

The M3 is a better all around drivers car but the RCF was a beautiful GT car with many advantages. Both are amazing machines the M3 is just a different sort of animal.

If you really push your cars, track numerous times through the year and race often go with the M3.

If you want something thats unbelievable around town and a great highway GT car go with the RCF.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #24
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
I had one for 18 months. I had spoiler failure, fuel pump issue and hesitation all requiring various reflashes at various times. My navigation and stereo system had a habit of flashing off and resetting and the seat was getting some pretty bad wear on the side bolster which Lexus said would not be covered under warranty. All pretty minor stuff except for the seat which was super annoying and looked liked hell.

12,000 hard driven miles on my F80 ZCP and not a single hiccup or issue on anything.
The picture of the white one has some hideous wheels.

Funny you mention the nav rebooting, my girlfriends Highlander just randomly reboots ALL THE TIME.

If Toyota just invested in putting the thing on a diet it would be a viable option, but 4400lbs or whatever is to much for me. I wish I jumped on the ISF though way back when after the first revision.

The worst part, specing out what I would want in the RC, it balloons up to 80k.

34k miles on my 2015 and not a single problem at all. Nothing. Nada.

Last edited by Ian1973; 10-09-2017 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 07:41 AM   #25
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
I like the way the IS sedan looks. I think they look better than the regular 3 series and C class. If they ever made an IS F it would look awesome. I would definitely consider getting one over an F80, even if it was a little slower.
They used to make the IS F. I wonder why they stopped?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #26
F80 ZCP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Farm Truck

OP, RC-F automatic transmission is not on-par with the M3's DCT. You would be disappointed. I don't know about the RC-F market this year, but last year you can get a brand new RC-F (non-TVD) for $60k after dealer and manufacturer's rebates. I consider the interior's fit and finish top notch. I love the gauge display. I don't believe the 2015-2016 came with active sound (fake engine sound that is routed through the speakers). I think the future mid cycle refresh may come with active sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #27
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Friend of mine has an RC-F, F80 M3 with comp package and DCT, M2 6MT, and an Infinity Q60S.

His order of cars for his personal enjoyment goes: M2>M3>RCF>Q60S.

Have to say the Infinity and RC-F are quite the lookers....too bad they don't perform nor drive near to the level of the M2 and M3.

Ultimate Driving Machine for a reason
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #28
Speed District
Premier Host for Track Events
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

its over 4000lbs. Enough said.

Friday, September 15th: Buttonwillow Raceway
Saturday/Sunday - October 14/15 - Autoclub Speedway
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #29
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
The RC-F is a Frankenstein mash-up of three different cars with a generation old engine.

From the front bumper to the A-pillars lay the bones of the Lexus GS sedan. Between the A- and C-pillars, engineers borrowed the floorpan of the Lexus IS C convertible (reinforcing the sills for good measure). The rear end is adapted from the current Lexus IS sedan. The three sections are welded and bonded together with structural adhesive used around the rockers, inner fenders, A-pillars, and floor crossmember.

Source: Car and Driver

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 10-10-2017 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #30
Rberthelot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 YMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
People who buy rcf, are completely clueless of what sports car needs. Car that has franken chasis from various econo sedans, and it weights as much as them(4000+ lb). Tons of electronic controls to hide its shitty driving dynamics.
That car is made by accountants, not by engineers. I see them selling at huge discounts now.. i wonder why...
My 2 pennies...

I owned one for about 10mos. I knew exactly what I was getting into. Yes heavy and slower than M. I traded the Lexus knowing the M was more engaging and stuff would rattle...and they have. Specific to the RCF, I didn?t have any of the issues mentioned other than a flash for the fuel pump. Comfortable, quiet, relatively quick and nice v8 rumble at cold start (which I still miss today).

Ultimately, very different animal. The M leaves a smile that only lasted 2mos with the Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #31
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

New update on this thread. Got some seat time in the RCF the other day and my honest impression....less than impressed.

Car felt heavy, steering felt garbage compared to the M3, and it was slow in comparison. The interior was nice, IMHO leagues above BMW's 3/4 interior. Quiet and tight with not a single rattle.

Still a nice car, a different kind of buyer goes for the Lexus over the BMW... but from a performance perspective it felt very lacking.

Granted, we are spoiled with our turbo's and low in torque that's pretty much instantly available. Mashed it pretty hard in the RCF and it was nowhere near the M3's level of fun nor did it pull nearly as hard.

Felt more like a soft luxury vehicle, as Lexus usually does.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 04:48 PM   #32
mwalter14
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBurt323 View Post
Any insight?
I just sold my RC-F and going am BACK to an F80.

I did not want to do this. The move was out of necessity for 4 doors, folding seats, and roof rack compatibility.

From a driving experience perspective, the RC-F was the best car I have ever owned (Ive owned the spectrum of BMWs M's, over multiple eras, models, as well as 2 IS-Fs). *Making bias towards NA V8's clear.

Power. There is more than enough power for street with the high revving NA v8 2UR-GSE. Amazing torque for an NAv8. The tranmission is excellent in sport mode when it is at proper operating temperature (toyota programs their powertrain to be detuned until optimal temp is reached). The induction sound is incredible, exhaust is a but muted (I did a muffler delete and it truly opened it up).

The fit and finish.. amazing, use of multiple materials in confluence in the interior makes it feel very special. Epic seats. Awesome design, sort of like a modern retro vibe which I love.

Handling is on par to M3. Grips very well, gets all of its power down and well planted it self at high speed. Wild and fun in expert mode.

Steering is inferior to the M3, just not as much feel despite both systems being EPS.

Braking: Equal to M3.

Great in winter with LSD. snow mode (and good tires)

Styling: Breaks necks. Incredible lines. Radical and unique. Awesome speed adjusted rear wing.

Oh, and you just have to do oil changes and your typical maintenance and it will go forever. It is a Toyota afteral.

Loved the car, will be missed. The coupe was killing me though, and I feel the IS-F, while a 4door, is just too dated at this point. The GS-F, now discontinued, is skyrocketing in price and very hard to find in Canada.

Get the RC-F if your lifestyle is compatible.
Attached Images

Last edited by mwalter14; 01-13-2024 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 3
Sephrr287.00
HotRodM4685.50
      01-24-2024, 09:23 AM   #33
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Lexus builds a great vehicle. I daily a lx570 and it would be tough to beat on quality and comfort.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 09:43 AM   #34
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalter14 View Post
I just sold my RC-F and going am BACK to an F80.

I did not want to do this. The move was out of necessity for 4 doors, folding seats, and roof rack compatibility.

From a driving experience perspective, the RC-F was the best car I have ever owned (Ive owned the spectrum of BMWs M's, over multiple eras, models, as well as 2 IS-Fs). *Making bias towards NA V8's clear.

Power. There is more than enough power for street with the high revving NA v8 2UR-GSE. Amazing torque for an NAv8. The tranmission is excellent in sport mode when it is at proper operating temperature (toyota programs their powertrain to be detuned until optimal temp is reached). The induction sound is incredible, exhaust is a but muted (I did a muffler delete and it truly opened it up).

The fit and finish.. amazing, use of multiple materials in confluence in the interior makes it feel very special. Epic seats. Awesome design, sort of like a modern retro vibe which I love.

Handling is on par to M3. Grips very well, gets all of its power down and well planted it self at high speed. Wild and fun in expert mode.

Steering is inferior to the M3, just not as much feel despite both systems being EPS.

Braking: Equal to M3.

Great in winter with LSD. snow mode (and good tires)

Styling: Breaks necks. Incredible lines. Radical and unique. Awesome speed adjusted rear wing.

Oh, and you just have to do oil changes and your typical maintenance and it will go forever. It is a Toyota afteral.

Loved the car, will be missed. The coupe was killing me though, and I feel the IS-F, while a 4door, is just too dated at this point. The GS-F, now discontinued, is skyrocketing in price and very hard to find in Canada.

Get the RC-F if your lifestyle is compatible.
Why not the new IS500 ? Similar to the RCF but has 4 doors and I think it looks better
As always, Toyota/Lexus builds cars for old people so the stock trans tuning is boring
I test drive one and felt like it was afraid for me and would not shift aggressive enough
The lack of tq down low is ok as long as you keep it in the upper rpm range
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2040.50
      02-12-2024, 10:15 AM   #35
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Why not the new IS500 ? Similar to the RCF but has 4 doors and I think it looks better
As always, Toyota/Lexus builds cars for old people so the stock trans tuning is boring
I test drive one and felt like it was afraid for me and would not shift aggressive enough
The lack of tq down low is ok as long as you keep it in the upper rpm range
Are there aftermarket transmission tunes to fix this? Transmission tuning has really changed the character of some other cars in the last few years.