proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #67
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP1981
Hi all,

I am also in a similar situation somehow :-)

Currently I drive a Cayman S 987 and both of us (my wife and me) love it. But it is currently also my daily driver to work and back.
Daily traffic jams and it is a short shifter manual. Not really fun to drive it in jams. But a lot of fun to drive it on the nürburgring ;-)

Now we saved some money and our second car currently is a very old Opel Astra Coupé from 2003.

I drove the 981 Non S and S with PDK and loved it as some sort of high tech weapon. It doesn't feel as natural as the old 987 and is not as nervous but it is a hell of a lot faster and easier to drive and still feels like a light sports car.

So the logical decision would somehow be to replace my old Cayman for the new one. But somehow we can't leave this pure driving machine with manual and all the hardcore stuff, we just love it.

Buying a 981 as the second car? We don't have kids (yet) and won't have kids for the next few years. So we could afford to have 2x 2 Seaters. I would take the new one for daily driving.

However. In the same price category I can also buy a M3 F80 and pick it up in Munich.
This would totally replace our old Astra. 4-5 seats, 4 doors, practical and huge (which is more of a concern).

But I bet it would be a lot more comfortable in boring dd situations or on very long road trips. I would for sure take the adaptive dampers.

But then the 981 with PASM and perhaps even 19" wheels is also very comfortable. Not sure yet which would be more comfortable.

So now I am not sure what to do Somehow I also want to try something different. A big but still not to heavy power sedan would be a nice new experience and we could take friends with us. We could even drive the nürburgring with 4 people sometimes

And yet we would still have a pure fun car on weekends with the old Cayman S, which sounds more natural without those artificial blurbs. It does them also but randomly and not always and artificial. It sounds a lot better than the current M3 for sure. And it is lighter, more nimble and more fun to drive. But also slower for sure against the current M3

So, what would you do? Mind you for the price of the new M3 I could also replace the old Cayman for the new Cayman and additionally buy something like a 2 year old 335i as daily driver replacing the old Astra.

Owning a M3 would be a new experience and I always wanted to drive different things in life. I had a Porsche for a few years now. I also often drive a 911 as replacement car. Even had a driver training in the 911. But I never owned a M car.

I guess Cayman + M3 is somehow a dream combination. One pure driving experience and one really nice compromise with also some myth around it.

Soooo I really don't know yet what to do
For what it is worth, my 981 with PASM (in "soft" setting) and 20" wheels is noticeably firmer than an F82 with M-Adaptive Suspension (in "firm" setting) with 19" wheels.

I am going to reiterate that I have decided to keep the Cayman after more test drives of the new M3, but mostly because I don't need the CS as a daily driver. If I had a family and could only have one car it would probably be an F80, or e90M if I could find a clean one.

I hear you about the 987 vs 981 though. Even though the 981 does everything better, it does lose a little of the raw feeling the 987 has. But... Even though it grew a little, it actually lost weight.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #68
BGR
Captain
Rep

A few more reasons why I stuck with the Cayman...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #69
RIP1981
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80, Porsche Cayman S

Nice car Always love the cayman in all versions

Here is mine where it belongs
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 11:07 PM   #70
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

I was going to trade my R8 for the GT4. I ended up giving up my F80 because it feels numb and boring to drive for me. In soft mode it drives like crap and either mode it rides more stiff than my R8 with less driving feel. The front height is also too low for a daily driver as you can see in my avatar.

If you only have one car the M3 is great but I feel the Macan turbo being a better choice.

For my daily driver I'm struggling between the Focus RS, Evo X, M2, or Macan.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 11:33 PM   #71
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I was going to trade my R8 for the GT4. I ended up giving up my F80 because it feels numb and boring to drive for me. In soft mode it drives like crap and either mode it rides more stiff than my R8 with less driving feel. The front height is also too low for a daily driver as you can see in my avatar.

If you only have one car the M3 is great but I feel the Macan turbo being a better choice.

I test drove macan s and turbo several times and decided not to get any of them. They are both great sporty cars/SUV but not even close to M3/4 racing-like car experience. Maybe better for DD but like you said - if you to get 1 car only in this price range, M3/4 suits the best.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:49 AM   #72
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:

Really, macan turbo over m3? I guess you are an outlier.

Go full p car. Gt4 + macan is a nice combo
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:20 PM   #73
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Really, macan turbo over m3? I guess you are an outlier.

Go full p car. Gt4 + macan is a nice combo
Yes, based on ground clearance, winter, and the Porsche driving feel (brake modulation, steering response and etc).

The M3 is outstanding but to have one car I feel the Porsche is a better choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:27 PM   #74
J50
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M4

Quote:

If you didn't like the M3, what's an M2 going to do for you? Evo X? That car is done, final edition coming out and that's it. Focus RS is going to be cool, for a $35k-$40k sporty 4 dr hatch anyway.

Macan Turbo is cool, but for the $ would get something else. Even if less powerful, would get a SQ5. Plenty fast and a lot less $.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #75
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J50 View Post
If you didn't like the M3, what's an M2 going to do for you? Evo X? That car is done, final edition coming out and that's it. Focus RS is going to be cool, for a $35k-$40k sporty 4 dr hatch anyway.

Macan Turbo is cool, but for the $ would get something else. Even if less powerful, would get a SQ5. Plenty fast and a lot less $.
That is a good point about the M3. I'm just still hoping the possibility that the M2 is the M3 I was looking for.

The dealer does have a Final Edition Evo for me which I may buy. This is the safe route since the Focus RS may not have the driving "feel" i want but if it's as good as the Fiesta ST i really have nothing to worry about.

SQ5 is nice but the Macan is rear bias with better brakes making it a better SUV IMHO. With resale in consideration i think the cost will be similar due to the depreciation. I would think the Macan S is more comparable to the SQ5 not the Macan Turbo.

Last edited by gtr; 07-15-2015 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #76
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Yes, based on ground clearance, winter, and the Porsche driving feel (brake modulation, steering response and etc).

The M3 is outstanding but to have one car I feel the Porsche is a better choice.
If you are set on on Porsche get a used 911 turbo. Its usable in winter with snow tires other than clearance.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #77
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
If you are set on on Porsche get a used 911 turbo. Its usable in winter with snow tires other than clearance.
Not set on Porsche, just set on great cars. Are you kidding me the 911 turbo? That car can barley get going on wet. Wide tires, massive torque not to mention the pendulum effect. I traded that for the GTR years ago but the 991 AWD program is much improved.

Don't want to get off topic lets get back on topic
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 01:17 PM   #78
docM
Rep
Drives: 981C

Tempted to trade in the 981C for the M4.
I've not had the chance to drive one and the nearest one is about 3 hours away. This thread has been quite informative especially with regards to steering feel comparison. One thing that bothers me in the cayman is the amount of road/tire noise. It will give me a headache after an hour or so of highway driving. For those who had a chance to drive both does the M4 transmit less road/tire roar as compared to the cayman ?

Last edited by docM; 07-16-2015 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #79
BGR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by docM View Post
I've not had the chance to drive one and the nearest one is about 3 hours away. This thread has been quite informative especially with regards to steering feel comparison. One thing that bothers me in the cayman is the amount of road/tire noise. It will give me a headache after an hour or so of highway driving. For those who had a chance to drive both does the M4 transmit less road/tire roar as compared to the cayman ?
Much less road noise in the M4 than in the Cayman. Like we have concluded, if you just had one car that needed to be a daily driver, an M car would probably be the best choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 12:53 AM   #80
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Get a 435i, and you'll have something even less noisy than the M4...

The Cayman is definitely a more fatiguing car, but also more fun. I find that I enjoy it a lot when I'm in the mood for it, but it gets on my nerves a little bit when I'm not in the mood for the kind of experience that it provides.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:39 AM   #81
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSmurf
My suggestion would be to stop treating it like a garage queen
THIS. great cars are meant to be driven....not worshipped like an idol. Ain't nobody got time for garage queens.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #82
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I find the road noise in my M3 to be horrific, especially when rocks kick into the wheel wells. Very annoying.
Cayman might be a bit more, but the 991's I've driven are quite well insulated and the suspension much more well sorted to say the least, as it does not clunk and crash and have a hard time damping breaks and rough pavement. It is amazing how planted it is and how well damped given its a stiffer car, with less body roll and more rigid. Suspension on the 991 and 981's are just world class.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 12:08 PM   #83
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfEightyM3 View Post
I find the road noise in my M3 to be horrific, especially when rocks kick into the wheel wells. Very annoying.
This is true. I remember reading about loud road noise in the early reviews, but did not believe it. Now first hand the car is quite noisy.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #84
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfEightyM3 View Post
Suspension on the 991 and 981's are just world class.
Yes, but the sad thing is that the roads in the US are anything but world class, and better suited to the suspension of a Chevy Impala...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 07:28 PM   #85
rsdarcan66
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
Get a 435i, and you'll have something even less noisy than the M4...

The Cayman is definitely a more fatiguing car, but also more fun. I find that I enjoy it a lot when I'm in the mood for it, but it gets on my nerves a little bit when I'm not in the mood for the kind of experience that it provides.
I totally agree... I can drive it maybe 2 or 3 days and then I'm ready for the f82 again. I had the same issue with my 911-50 I didn't like to drive it every day.
2015 Porsche Cayenne Turbo:Sold
2012 Porsche 911 GTS: Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 05:21 AM   #86
RIP1981
Private First Class
Rep

The F80 it is for me.

Just ordered one with adaptive dampers in yas marina blue with HU display, parking assistant and a lot of fun stuff.
Some things you won't even get in a Porsche.

But we still keep our 987 Cayman S. A fun car if you are in the mood for it. Now even the manual fits perfectly as I will drive the F80 daily

Have a nice weekend.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #87
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP1981
The F80 it is for me.

Just ordered one with adaptive dampers in yas marina blue with HU display, parking assistant and a lot of fun stuff.
Some things you won't even get in a Porsche.

But we still keep our 987 Cayman S. A fun car if you are in the mood for it. Now even the manual fits perfectly as I will drive the F80 daily

Have a nice weekend.
Congrats! That's a great combo!!! And an exciting time I'm sure

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 07:06 PM   #88
RIP1981
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks I am sure it is a great combo
Appreciate 0