Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #45
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Lap times:
M4: 1:06.11
GS: 1:05.46

Matthias raved about the GS' engine and sporty character, but found the M4 to be the better overall car, being faster in a straight line, not quite as fast on track but way more practical, comfortable, adaptable and still intoxicating to drive.

They only mention the GS being the collector's edition. They do say it has aero but don't mention anything about the tires. However, a close up of the tread of the GS's tires leads me to believe it is on the street PSS and not the PSC2. This and the €98k price tag tells me it does not have the Z07 track package, which makes sense for this specific comparison IMO.

The Z07 package would add ~€15k to the price of the €98K Corvette GS and make it a fair bit more expensive than this loaded M4CP. It would be therefore more appropriate to compare a GS-Z07 with an M4 that has the M-Performance HAS and 763M/PSC2 package fitted, or even to the M4CS for that matter.

We get it, you think the M4 is god and no other car can compare but in all reality.. time to let your ego go. The GS and Z06/z07 will destroy the s55 any day any time. There is no comparison IMO. a fully loaded M3/M4 can cost ~95k and a base Z06 will be around $86-88,000 so if you're going to use the "German" price point based on an online review as an excuse to somehow lie to yourself and say the M4 is a better car then by all means go ahead

yes i am a previous M4 owner with FBO and every mod possible.. i loved the car but i love performance even more and the F8x is thr wrong platform if you want to actually compete with the top dogs
      10-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #46
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM4ZING View Post
We get it, you think the M4 is god and no other car can compare but in all reality.. time to let your ego go. The GS and Z06/z07 will destroy the s55 any day any time. There is no comparison IMO. a fully loaded M3/M4 can cost ~95k and a base Z06 will be around $86-88,000 so if you're going to use the "German" price point based on an online review as an excuse to somehow lie to yourself and say the M4 is a better car then by all means go ahead

yes i am a previous M4 owner with FBO and every mod possible.. i loved the car but i love performance even more and the F8x is thr wrong platform if you want to actually compete with the top dogs
Nope. Not at all. I understand very well where the M4 fits in the performance hierarchy. Two of my very good track buddies track 15 year old C5 Z06 and are in the same time bracket as I am with my relatively new M4. Corvettes are awesome track machines. While the M4 might be able to match or even out pace the C7's (non-Z06) in acceleration, the lower weight and overall stance of the Corvette gives it a significant edge in handling. That is MY opinion.

In the post you quoted, I simply summarized what was said in the video and explained why this type of comparison makes sense for the German market. It is not my opinion of the two cars.

In other markets the equation might be different, but from a North American market perspective, the performance per dollar of the Corvette is tough to beat. The Corvette does not fit my practicality needs though, hence why I have an M4 and why the M4 is the "better car" for my needs. No "ego" involved here .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 10-03-2017 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 09:26 PM   #47
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM4ZING View Post

Chill out man, CanAut was just translating the vid for us non German speakers

Btw in this vid, the GS got walked in a straight line, and was ~1s faster around the track with comparable cars. I definitely cross shopped my $60k new '15 F80 vs. other ~$60k new C7 vettes as well
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      10-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #48
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I don't have much experience with a grand sport but I do have quite a bit with a Z06... having driven it again, my opinion on it remains the same... If you want an all out performance car and are able or have the place to drive it all out most of the time, then it truly is fun... but outside of a track I am not sure how one can use the 650 hp and tq all the time. The car is so fast that unless you are on it all the time, it gets boring very quickly and you are frustrated by how limited you are with it. The only enjoyable part of the car becomes the sound (and I am not sure I am willing to spend that much money on just sound). With an M3 for example, you have the ability to be 8/10 with it effectively on a daily basis and not give up any comforts or practicality (4 doors, fuel efficiency etc...) Point being, the Z06 to me is so capable that on a daily basis it feels like you are in a tank driving over ants, and that gets boring very quickly. I don't think I could ever trade an F80, give up its day to day usability and get in something like a Z06, unless I was exclusively looking to track it... can't really speak to the GS but ultimately if its priced similar to a Z06 after discount, then an even dumber situation presents itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #49
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I don't have much experience with a grand sport but I do have quite a bit with a Z06... having driven it again, my opinion on it remains the same... If you want an all out performance car and are able or have the place to drive it all out most of the time, then it truly is fun... but outside of a track I am not sure how one can use the 650 hp and tq all the time. The car is so fast that unless you are on it all the time, it gets boring very quickly and you are frustrated by how limited you are with it. The only enjoyable part of the car becomes the sound (and I am not sure I am willing to spend that much money on just sound). With an M3 for example, you have the ability to be 8/10 with it effectively on a daily basis and not give up any comforts or practicality (4 doors, fuel efficiency etc...) Point being, the Z06 to me is so capable that on a daily basis it feels like you are in a tank driving over ants, and that gets boring very quickly. I don't think I could ever trade an F80, give up its day to day usability and get in something like a Z06, unless I was exclusively looking to track it... can't really speak to the GS but ultimately if its priced similar to a Z06 after discount, then an even dumber situation presents itself.
"It's more fun driving a slower car fast, than a fast car slow" or something rather

But in the case of the C7Z evening freeway on-ramp pulls can be your best friend

IMO even though the F8x M cars are slower than the C7Z, they are still way too fast for the street under normal circumstances, especially with the crazy usable mid-range torque. I basically only have fun with it either in the canyons or at night when the freeway is empty
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 08:10 PM   #50
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
"It's more fun driving a slower car fast, than a fast car slow" or something rather
I've heard the z06 described as a momemtum car that can generate a ton of momentum. and the best is still driving a fast car fast.

In 2015 the only option was new c7z51 vs f8x and f80 was the clear choice for me for all the reasons you described.

But now, a lightly used c7z06/z07 is $65k all over the place, or same cost as a stripped down f80. Not sure I could pass up the z07, and that's kind of my main knock on the c7gs.. here in the US the cost is so close to the z06...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #51
evolmotorsprt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb2 View Post
I can't blame them. I switched from BMW to Chevy myself. I own a C5 Z06 that I've dumped $30k into making into a NASA ST2 legal race car now. It's a fucking beast, and the Vettes are dominating the league.
I did the same thing, sort of... I bought a C5 coupe and updated the suspension. I then realized the F80 would never be the car I wanted it to be, so I traded it for a Cayman S. Don't knock these well sorted Corvettes. They'll blow your mind in terms of excitement, sound, and feel.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #52
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

^ when you guys get bored of your ST2 prepared c5z06 send me a PM
Appreciate 0