Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

11-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
jim996
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

M4 vs Lotus Exige V6 350

My current car is 16 non-cp M4 which is a great car but I’m feeling the itch for a V6 Exige.

I’ve had a 996 911 c2 and a Lotus Elise type 23 in the past. I bought the M4 as a week end car the family can come out in but we normally just end up taking the golf or my wife’s 320i rather than the M so it has just become a toy for me.

The M is a beast and incredibly fast but you just can’t hide the weight and the sheer physical size of the thing. I still have great memories from the Elise (including being crippled with back pain after 2 hours in the seat) I have club raced and track dayed bikes for years and the Elise was always the nearest 4 wheel experience to a bike.

Just wondered if anyone here has driven a V6 Exige and can compare them.

http://www.evo.co.uk/lotus/exige/171...r-ecoty-winner
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 03:47 AM   #2
Fblade
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Been looking at the same thing myself, what are your pro's and con's for the Exige?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hi, I took a look at the Elise but took a pass because here in the US my usual insurance company (geico) would not cover it and suggested I look into "exotic" car insurers.

The reason apparently is that a small parking lot incident can total the car because of the exorbitant cost to repair the body (e.g. the front clam shell)

I was also at Sears Point raceway this past weekend and spoke with an owner of an exige (with the 1.8L supercharged motor) who mentioned finding it very hard to drive. He also mentioned not being as interested as he thought he would be in pushing it hard, because an off could be extremely expensive (again because of the body panels cost)

Personally, I think the idea of a light sports car is great, but after learning more about the Elise/Exige and speaking with some owners, I realized it wasn't for me and a more traditional sports car like 911 turbo or Z06 is more like it
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #4
jim996
Private First Class
Rep

The M4 is incredibly fast and capable but you have to be doing warp speeds to really get a thrill out of it.

I think the Exige is a very different proposition to the M4. The Elise I used to have was hardcore, uncomfortable and very noisy but it gripped the road like a limpet......you could defy the laws of physics in the corners.

I loved that car but it was underpowered at 120bhp, (only 780 KG though). I have always wanted to try one again and I think the fact Lotus now build a V6 Exige with 350 BHP would be an amazing car.

I've driven the 718 Caymen and it's OK but it has a truly horrible 4 cylinder engine noise and I think they look a bit effeminate, a bit hairdresser.

I quite liked the thought of the Exige as they are extremely rare even on UK roads, had a better power to weight ratio than the M4 (350bhp but only 1100kg) and will corner harder. I also like the looks and the fact that it's a no compromise sports car.

I'm still weighing up options and will probably keep the M4 another year or so and then trade in...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim996 View Post
The M4 is incredibly fast and capable but you have to be doing warp speeds to really get a thrill out of it.

I think the Exige is a very different proposition to the M4. The Elise I used to have was hardcore, uncomfortable and very noisy but it gripped the road like a limpet......you could defy the laws of physics in the corners.

I loved that car but it was underpowered at 120bhp, (only 780 KG though). I have always wanted to try one again and I think the fact Lotus now build a V6 Exige with 350 BHP would be an amazing car.

I've driven the 718 Caymen and it's OK but it has a truly horrible 4 cylinder engine noise and I think they look a bit effeminate, a bit hairdresser.

I quite liked the thought of the Exige as they are extremely rare even on UK roads, had a better power to weight ratio than the M4 (350bhp but only 1100kg) and will corner harder. I also like the looks and the fact that it's a no compromise sports car.

I'm still weighing up options and will probably keep the M4 another year or so and then trade in...
For sure, Exige would be great and if your regular insurers were good with it, then seems like all the concerns I have aren't relevant to you in the UK

I'd pass on the base Cayman. How about a GT4
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 04:12 AM   #6
Fblade
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

GT4's are a lot of money over here they range from around £80k to around £120k and that puts them in some very elite company
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
jim996
Private First Class
Rep

Just to update on this. I’ve just got a set of 763 wheels for the m4 with Michelin cup 2 tyres the difference from the stock conti tyres is unbelievable. I’ve fallen back in love with the M4!
Appreciate 0