proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

12-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #67
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ic_Black View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
"Move up to a 340..." Is it really moving up though? You're really just replacing your car with a new MY.

I daily my F80.
I had the 435I with MPPSK and the gf bought the MY17 440i and it felt like a different car all together. It was so depressing going back to the 435i that I had to trade mine in for the new M3. The new engine in the 440i is definitely more beefy and the acceleration a lot more linear, the turbo leg is also less noticeable.

As for op, I would go test drive the new 340I (if possible with the MPPSK) and see if you are happy with it. Obviously M3 is a better car but it comes with a price tag.
Are you sure you had the 435i with the MPPSK? Coz that 435 should drive more aggressively than a stock 440i. It should also have more power than the 440i
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 10:36 PM   #68
335ic_Black
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 MW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
Are you sure you had the 435i with the MPPSK? Coz that 435 should drive more aggressively than a stock 440i. It should also have more power than the 440i
Sadly yes. Either the dealer that installed the kit didn’t do it correctly or my gfs 440i got some extra juice. She ordered her car. I think power lvl is the same at 320. The 440i was just a better car. Had multiple friends on both cars and they all agree lol
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 12:23 AM   #69
F82G82AND
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

You will be happier with the M3
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 01:09 AM   #70
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ic_Black View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
Sadly yes. Either the dealer that installed the kit didn’t do it correctly or my gfs 440i got some extra juice. She ordered her car. I think power lvl is the same at 320. The 440i was just a better car. Had multiple friends on both cars and they all agree lol
Probably they did not install it correctly especially if they sold you a MPPSK. For the 435i (before the 440) the same kit was called the MPPK and it installed differently. The 435i with the MPPK also make the car's throttle response much better in addition to adding more power.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #71
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
M vs non M bmw agreed is marginal cost to keep on the road. Bmw vs non bmw is a different story (not to mention gas vs electric)

Like I said earlier, props to you for loving your m3 so much that you daily it that much and accept the maintenance and eventual out of warranty cost
Out of warranty /maintenance cost is like any other modern car my friend (synthetic oil, spark plugs, brakes)....not really anything to be concerned about. As I said, it's "old thinking" when you bring up BMW reliability compared to say Japanese. 15 years ago that was true, not so much today. BMW's are very reliable despite the popular old belief.

It also helps that I have several personal friends who are BMW techs, they have reassured me how stable the S55 platform is and these guys have been working on BMWs for decades. I trust what they say.

But to each their own. You do whatever you feel comfortable with. If you would rather lease new BMW's, and buy old Japanese cars as beater dailies...nothing wrong with that either. At least you're fully covered under your lease (maintenance, warranty, etc) and peace of mind is worth something.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 12-09-2017 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #72
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I just priced out tires, brake pads and oil for my 911 and my Miata. German cars just cost more to maintain and repair.

I'm not spouting out other people's "old thinking", I'm just sharing which of my cars eat up the most of my repair and upkeep dollars.

If you have a hookup that can get BMW or Porsche maintenance parts at such a low cost you think it's equal cost to daily an m3 vs a Japanese car, can you please PM me?

Ps: for a few months my wife still had her f30 335 same time as my f80 and felt it was a bit of a waste to have the f80 for pure commuter duty. I did it because I "wanted to" and accepted the higher cost
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2017, 06:42 PM   #73
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

340i lol

If you care about driving dynamics and an enjoyable drive and you can't afford a M3, you don't buy a 340i you buy a Camaro or a Mustang. That is, unless you're extremely concerned about badges, "prestige", and other qualities.

I'll never understand these people who blow $50k+ on these lower tier BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 10:57 PM   #74
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
340i lol

If you care about driving dynamics and an enjoyable drive and you can't afford a M3, you don't buy a 340i you buy a Camaro or a Mustang. That is, unless you're extremely concerned about badges, "prestige", and other qualities.

Because car enthusiasts don't make money for car companies, normal people do.

You don't have to understand it, you just have to accept that normal people have what they want and desire that are far different than what we want.
      01-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #75
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Quote:
340i lol

Camaro's and Mustangs have superior "dynamics" than F8x's. So there goes that analogy.

I'd buy a 340i without even hesitating if I were just highway droning and/or easy driving, yet have owned two M cars.

I could offer the counter point unless you are routinely tracking the F8x, you are wasting it and a poseur. So in a way I don't understand why most waste $70k+ on M cars that just trudge to work at the speed limit.
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321115.00
3ToAgree110.00
      01-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #76
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
Quote:
340i lol

Camaro's and Mustangs have superior "dynamics" than F8x's. So there goes that analogy.

I'd buy a 340i without even hesitating if I were just highway droning and/or easy driving, yet have owned two M cars.

I could offer the counter point unless you are routinely tracking the F8x, you are wasting it and a poseur. So in a way I don't understand why most waste $70k+ on M cars that just trudge to work at the speed limit.
I never drive the speed limit anywhere so there's that. Just saying.

///M cars are dual purposes cars. Great for daily driving and also capable on a track if need be. They are not some track monster that only "real" race car drivers should own.

By your logic every Ferrari and most porsche owners are poseurs. I'd bet that 90% never see the track. On second thought maybe your on to something
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 08:37 PM   #77
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
"Move up to a 340..." Is it really moving up though? You're really just replacing your car with a new MY.

I daily my F80.
If you live in areas with extreme cold/snow - good set of winter tires will let you daily drive this car (unless, perhaps, if you live in a very mountainous or area with very steep hills combined with ice/snow - I'm in Illinois where the F80 does great with a set of winter tires - even with all of the snow and sub-zero temps here this past couple of weeks)... This is my fourth winter daily driving the F80 - no regrets whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 02:27 AM   #78
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
340i lol

I drive an F80 because I want to. That's enough for me and if should be enough for anyone, tracking or not.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #79
wdskukm3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 and Model P3D

I got the M3 because well I just love the way car looks and perform. Even my wife said she loves the "booty" of the car
      01-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #80
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post

///M cars are dual purposes cars. Great for daily driving and also capable on a track if need be. They are not some track monster that only "real" race car drivers should own.

By your logic every Ferrari and most porsche owners are poseurs. I'd bet that 90% never see the track. On second thought maybe your on to something
Yes thank you.

I also do not drive the speed limit, like not even close, but I don't think that means I should have an M or other sports car. I can do the same in a Mazda 3.

I do also believe I am wasting the capabilities of this car and I do drive much more aggressively in all conditions than most other people I encounter. I also daily mine year round. At the moment you can barely tell what color the car is, unless salt and dirt is a color.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #81
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes thank you.

I also do not drive the speed limit, like not even close, but I don't think that means I should have an M or other sports car. I can do the same in a Mazda 3.

I do also believe I am wasting the capabilities of this car and I do drive much more aggressively in all conditions than most other people I encounter. I also daily mine year round. At the moment you can barely tell what color the car is, unless salt and dirt is a color.
I hear you. My BSM M4 is white right now and we are about to get 10+ inches of snow tonight. Ugggg
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:35 PM   #82
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:

I do, its about the overall feel of the car. Ive had 340i as loaners and once I got back in my F80 I immediately thought "omg this is awesome" IMO it's not about the power, the torque or any of that. It's the culmination of 100's of parts that makes the car just feel more connected and tighter.

I could never DD a 340 unless I had to once you have the perspective of both of them.

If you've never driven an F80 or owned it, you don't know what you are missing. Its like anything else in life, you don't know what you don't know and therefore it's all just blissful ignorance.

This is why I don't rent a 488 or Gt3 or McLaren as an expensive rental for a day. I don't want to gain that perspective on how awesome they are and ruin my experience with the F80
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #83
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
I hear you. My BSM M4 is white right now and we are about to get 10+ inches of snow tonight. Ugggg
Just drove through winter storm Grayson this morning Yoda. Plenty of snow heading your way. Hang in there brother!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:40 PM   #84
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Quote:

I do, its about the overall feel of the car. Ive had 340i as loaners and once I got back in my F80 I immediately thought "omg this is awesome" IMO it's not about the power, the torque or any of that. It's the culmination of 100's of parts that makes the car just feel more connected and tighter.

I could never DD a 340 unless I had to once you have the perspective of both of them.

If you've never driven an F80 or owned it, you don't know what you are missing. Its like anything else in life, you don't know what you don't know and therefore it's all just blissful ignorance.
Haha. Ignorance really is Bliss

I'll say it again. My wife and I have both an ///M and the 340. It's not even close. The 340 is a good car and perfect for my wife. It's has plenty of power (for her) decent handling and AWD.

It's no ///M. I drive it occasionally and can't wait to get back in my car.

It really is that much better.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:45 PM   #85
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Quote:
Just drove through winter storm Grayson this morning Yoda. Plenty of snow heading your way. Hang in there brother!
Ohh boy. The wife and I are just gonna chill tomorrow and let the Storm pass. No work.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 09:13 PM   #86
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:

To your first point - not all Mustangs are superior. I know, I have owned both a '15 Mustang GT PP and a '17 GT350 as well as a '15 F80 M3. The M3 was leagues beyond the GT in terms of dynamics, especially when pushed hard. The GT350 is the best of the 3, yes, but you do make a lot of day-to-day sacrifices in the Shelby.

If you want a luxurious car for "easy driving", get a fully optioned Ford Fusion and save a ton of money. The 340i makes no sense to me. It's a boring car and tarting it up with M-aero packages and other nonsense trying to make it look and feel like a real M3 is even more absurd. This is one of the unfortunate changes with BMW. Their non-M cars are no longer driver's cars, they are boring, bland. Back in the day, an e46 330i was a hell of a car and a hoot to drive. Later with the E92, the 335i was a fun car but it was noticeably less fun than the M3. With the F30/F80 generation, the difference between the two cars is GIGANTIC.

I've never tracked my M3 and I got enjoyment from it on the street. You don't have to track the car to appreciate its talents.

Last edited by basscadet; 01-03-2018 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:34 PM   #87
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

on public roads, f30 335 and f80 had a lot of similarities for me. At the track, the f30 was a hot mess. Only car I've ever taken to a De and left the event early because the machine was so bad.

Completely agree with you. In the "F" generation, it's M car or bust.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 05:48 AM   #88
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Quote:

To your first point - not all Mustangs are superior. I know, I have owned both a '15 Mustang GT PP and a '17 GT350 as well as a '15 F80 M3. The M3 was leagues beyond the GT in terms of dynamics, especially when pushed hard. The GT350 is the best of the 3, yes, but you do make a lot of day-to-day sacrifices in the Shelby.

If you want a luxurious car for "easy driving", get a fully optioned Ford Fusion and save a ton of money. The 340i makes no sense to me. It's a boring car and tarting it up with M-aero packages and other nonsense trying to make it look and feel like a real M3 is even more absurd. This is one of the unfortunate changes with BMW. Their non-M cars are no longer driver's cars, they are boring, bland. Back in the day, an e46 330i was a hell of a car and a hoot to drive. Later with the E92, the 335i was a fun car but it was noticeably less fun than the M3. With the F30/F80 generation, the difference between the two cars is GIGANTIC.

I've never tracked my M3 and I got enjoyment from it on the street. You don't have to track the car to appreciate its talents.
This is what I've finally convinced myself of.

"I've never tracked my M3 and I got enjoyment from it on the street. You don't have to track the car to appreciate its talents."

I told myself when I took over this 335 lease that I would never properly use the M3, but now I just don't care. I had to stop myself in the middle of modding/upgrading the 335 to ask myself what the honest goal was and all I really wanted was a 335 with the trappings of an M. Then I thought, "why not just get an M?"

So here I am, waiting to see if early lease pull up is offered this year. If so, order will go in soon!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0