EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

10-21-2016, 07:04 AM   #23
kraeburn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT

Just had the exact same setup (265/285) installed 2 weeks ago. I was waiting to make a post--I definitely echo your excitement about the increased performance. I don't notice much of a downside at all compared to the PSS with regards to noise or any other general NVH stuff. I did notice that it tracks better on the highway however.

Since I have yet to take it to the track and probably won't until next year, on the road the best part of the upgrade has been the friendliness at the limit. I was afraid with the additional grip it would be even more challenging to slide around and such but that has not been the case. The limits are higher but the grey area between grip and slip has been widened considerably. I have found it much easier to manage and feel much more comfortable with it. Once the PSS lost grip it was like control fell off a cliff, these are much more progressive. They also "talk" a lot more which I like.

Straight line traction is also much improved. I just have a BMS stage 1 and like others had no traction in 1st and 2nd and would occasionally break free in 3rd. Now, 1st is more manageable, and on a good surface 2nd just hooks and goes. Yes it will still squirm a bit (in an exciting, fun way) but euro MDM is not lighting up.

This morning was my first time on them in wet conditions so I can't speak to their effectiveness there. I am hoping they are not too much of a compromise.

Also of note, the 15/15 spacers I had to not work with this setup. I had slight rubbing in the rear on big compressions and slight rubbing in the front against the fender liner at full lock. It looked really cool but I removed them as any rubbing drives me nuts. I suspect it would work with smaller spacers but that is a question best left for the wheel/tire experts on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #24
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxos View Post
Yes, mine does. Mine has a couple of mods and a limiter set to 192.
I doubt you're going 192 long enough for it to matter...
      10-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #25
Daxos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
So you would risk driving 192 on tires officially only rated up to 168?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #26
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes. I've run 115 mph on mud tires that aren't meant to be driven more than 99mph (Q rating) on a heavy loaded truck. 168 isn't the max. You'd to crazy to believe that if you drive at 170 the tire will fail. There are so many other factors involved.

For instance, you are aware that the speed rating is based on it being 77 degrees outside and the load is done over a 10 minute interval? So unless you're doing 192 mph for 10 minutes straight I'm sure you'll be fine.
      10-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #27
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
So for those in the know, are these safer in the wet when compared to the Michelin cup 2?

Also - how many miles can one expect out of a set when compared to the Michelin cups?
I'm sure you could drive them in rain but only if you were out driving and a thunder storm ran across. The 5k wear and replacement is too much for me. I need a 10k-15k tire at 1300 a pop for all 4. Sport cups are another notch above re-11s, I went with re-11s and not re-71r because it is our daily family car And it has to operate in the rain.

I
      10-21-2016, 01:49 PM   #28
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
would hAve no worries driving the car at 185 for a minute though it is rated at 170. If you are going to do it repeatedly for long periods it becomes a worry of a catastrophic failure but for brief moments no issue...

You also modified a car for more power then it's originally intended and operating outside its factory setting. Point being the same can said about the tires. If you plan to go 200 well I would worry more
      10-21-2016, 02:06 PM   #29
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraeburn View Post
Just had the exact same setup (265/285) installed 2 weeks ago. I was waiting to make a post--I definitely echo your excitement about the increased performance. I don't notice much of a downside at all compared to the PSS with regards to noise or any other general NVH stuff. I did notice that it tracks better on the highway however.

Since I have yet to take it to the track and probably won't until next year, on the road the best part of the upgrade has been the friendliness at the limit. I was afraid with the additional grip it would be even more challenging to slide around and such but that has not been the case. The limits are higher but the grey area between grip and slip has been widened considerably. I have found it much easier to manage and feel much more comfortable with it. Once the PSS lost grip it was like control fell off a cliff, these are much more progressive. They also "talk" a lot more which I like.

Straight line traction is also much improved. I just have a BMS stage 1 and like others had no traction in 1st and 2nd and would occasionally break free in 3rd. Now, 1st is more manageable, and on a good surface 2nd just hooks and goes. Yes it will still squirm a bit (in an exciting, fun way) but euro MDM is not lighting up.

This morning was my first time on them in wet conditions so I can't speak to their effectiveness there. I am hoping they are not too much of a compromise.

Also of note, the 15/15 spacers I had to not work with this setup. I had slight rubbing in the rear on big compressions and slight rubbing in the front against the fender liner at full lock. It looked really cool but I removed them as any rubbing drives me nuts. I suspect it would work with smaller spacers but that is a question best left for the wheel/tire experts on the forum.
I found sliding the mpss were difficult in that they were not as predictable and sometimes spun out
      10-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #30
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
Quote:
So for those in the know, are these safer in the wet when compared to the Michelin cup 2?

Also - how many miles can one expect out of a set when compared to the Michelin cups?
I'm sure you could drive them in rain but only if you were out driving and a thunder storm ran across. The 5k wear and replacement is too much for me. I need a 10k-15k tire at 1300 a pop for all 4. Sport cups are another notch above re-11s, I went with re-11s and not re-71r because it is our daily family car And it has to operate in the rain.

I
Thanks. For life expectancy I was asking about the re11's. So 10-15k? And what do the MPSS go?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #31
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I
Thanks. For life expectancy I was asking about the re11's. So 10-15k? And what do the MPSS go?
Likely 10k maybe 15 for the fronts, everyone is different, at least they start with 10/32s rather then the mpss at 8/32s
      10-21-2016, 11:03 PM   #32
Daxos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes. I've run 115 mph on mud tires that aren't meant to be driven more than 99mph (Q rating) on a heavy loaded truck. 168 isn't the max. You'd to crazy to believe that if you drive at 170 the tire will fail. There are so many other factors involved.

For instance, you are aware that the speed rating is based on it being 77 degrees outside and the load is done over a 10 minute interval? So unless you're doing 192 mph for 10 minutes straight I'm sure you'll be fine.
So here is my question for you. You took a tire over by 16mph, and you're telling me I'm going to be ok doing the same 24mph over the rating and I shouldn't be worried? How many times does this work? Once? Once a week? Once a day for 15 minutes?

You are trying to rely on tires that are not officially rated for a speed rating for a reason. Do you really want to gamble your life and figure out exactly what they meant by that rating ?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 11:11 PM   #33
Daxos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
would hAve no worries driving the car at 185 for a minute though it is rated at 170. If you are going to do it repeatedly for long periods it becomes a worry of a catastrophic failure but for brief moments no issue...

You also modified a car for more power then it's originally intended and operating outside its factory setting. Point being the same can said about the tires. If you plan to go 200 well I would worry more
I think this is a little different. If something blows on me it's my fault for modifying it or BMW's fault for bad design. But you can't blame a tire manufacturer for giving out at close to 200mph when their tire is rated for way less than that. If anything were going to happen at 200mph you wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyway, but I would for sure as xxxx make clear that the tires I'm riding are designed for it.

For all of you who go beyond 168mph on W rated tires, god speed and/or good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 11:54 PM   #34
rmizzle101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M4

Do you mind posting some pictures of the wheels with the new tires? Waiting for mine to wear down before I make this move.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 11:18 AM   #35
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So here is my question for you. You took a tire over by 16mph, and you're telling me I'm going to be ok doing the same 24mph over the rating and I shouldn't be worried? How many times does this work? Once? Once a week? Once a day for 15 minutes?

You are trying to rely on tires that are not officially rated for a speed rating for a reason. Do you really want to gamble your life and figure out exactly what they meant by that rating ?
Yes, but you are relying on a speed rating that on its own doesn't really factor into real world conditions.

Quote:
I think this is a little different. If something blows on me it's my fault for modifying it or BMW's fault for bad design. But you can't blame a tire manufacturer for giving out at close to 200mph when their tire is rated for way less than that. If anything were going to happen at 200mph you wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyway, but I would for sure as xxxx make clear that the tires I'm riding are designed for it.

For all of you who go beyond 168mph on W rated tires, god speed and/or good luck.
Again. The test are done in 10 minute intervals. How often do you drive over 168mph for more than 10 minutes straight in 77 degree weather?