Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-02-2021, 12:10 AM   #1
Talaldinho
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

911 jump, Manual,Rev Matching, first time drive.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey guys,

I'm purchasing a 2017 M3 Competition Manual transmission.

I never owned a manual but drove few times..

1. is this a bad idea ?

2. Approximately, how much would a new clutch cost?

3. what is the Rev Matching feature in the M3?

The m3 comes with extended warranty, which is great if mess something up, but clutch is not covered from my understand.

I owned an 16 M4 DCT and it was great, then I jumped into 09 911 Carrera S PDK.

4. how different the drive will be in an M3 competition than what I previously owned?

5. Are the competition seats comfortable? or any different from the m4 seats?

lastly, any tips or tricks to try in the manual?

your feedback is appreciated.

thank you
17 BMW X5
18 BMW M6
18 BMW M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 06:57 AM   #2
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 IR BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talaldinho View Post
Hey guys,

I'm purchasing a 2017 M3 Competition Manual transmission.

I never owned a manual but drove few times..

1. is this a bad idea ?

2. Approximately, how much would a new clutch cost?

3. what is the Rev Matching feature in the M3?

The m3 comes with extended warranty, which is great if mess something up, but clutch is not covered from my understand.

4. how different the drive will be in an M3 competition than what I previously owned?

5. Are the competition seats comfortable? or any different from the m4 seats?

lastly, any tips or tricks to try in the manual?

thank you
1. is this a bad idea ? - not a bad idea at all but I highly suggest you go in Turo, rent a manual car for two days and practice like hell before learning on your M3. A $100 rental will be much cheaper than a new clutch. I just did this to teach my fiancé how to drive a manual.

2. Approximately, how much would a new clutch cost? - see above

3. what is the Rev Matching feature in the M3? - the car will automatically rev match when you down shift. Since you have very little manual experience I take it you've never rev marched on your own. All you need to know is it means you should release the clutch slightly faster than you normally would when down shifting.

4. how different the drive will be in an M3 competition than what I previously owned? - never owned a Porsche but I'm sure others will tell you it's significantly different. Your M3 will have much stronger acceleration from all the torque. I'm sure the 911 does most everything else better.

5. Are the competition seats comfortable? or any different from the m4 seats? - haven't heard anyone really complain about the seats, they are comfortable.

lastly, any tips or tricks to try in the manual? - see comment #1

07-02-2021, 07:00 AM   #3
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Watch YouTube videos. All manual cars are similar. Have a friend help teach you if needed. Rev match just means in sport and efficient mode when you down shift the car blips the revs to the right RPM so you don't have to do it your self or let the clutch out super slow. Does not work in sport plus though so have to be cautious of that.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 03:03 PM   #4
petar7408
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3

1. is this a bad idea ? Yes and No.. No because its good to have a manual, its fun and etc... Bad because its an expensive car to learn on. Do-able yes if you are a quick learner. DO NOT SIT AT LIGHTS in 1st and keep the clutch pressed in, always bump it to N and use brakes to get to the stopped position and then go to 1st when needed.

2. Approximately, how much would a new clutch cost? I dont know about these cars, I remember seeing you have to change the flywheel too, maybe just on the 2015s? I dont know but I'd guess 2-3000

3. what is the Rev Matching feature in the M3? It blips the gas so its more smooth gear change, but I have a DCT for this car so I haven't seen it for this car

The m3 comes with extended warranty, which is great if mess something up, but clutch is not covered from my understand. Usually correct, clutch is wear and tear like brakes

I owned an 16 M4 DCT and it was great, then I jumped into 09 911 Carrera S PDK. If you have the 911, dont buy another M3 and just keep the 911

4. how different the drive will be in an M3 competition than what I previously owned? ...

5. Are the competition seats comfortable? or any different from the m4 seats? All racing seats are nice, dont be a woman lol

lastly, any tips or tricks to try in the manual? Rent a car first would be good so you know how it works and if you even really want it

thank you[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 10:54 PM   #5
Eurosonly
car addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

go out and buy a 500 pos that runs and drives that's stick this will be about the same price as renting but you can take your time with learning. imo your m3 will be super fun and the shittier the car you start with the easier the m3 will feel. I did this and when I was done With it the cash for cars guy gave me 100$ less than I paid for it. never even did an oil change

euros
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 11:28 PM   #6
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT

I would say you will be just fine with the manual if you have driven one in the past successfully. The F8x's manual is amazing. Super smooth to operate and very robust. I have just under 107,000 miles and I'm still on the OG clutch with no visceral signs of wear. The other question I may be able to answer is the differences from your old car vs the competition. I was somewhat impressed with the competition package comparing 2015 vs 2017 models, but my non-comp 2019 vs 2019 comp felt exactly the same. I don't know what BMW did, but it seems like the non-comp post LCI and Comp LCI are like the same damn car. So I chose the slightly cheaper car and tuned it. Either way, the manual transmission should be the same. GL
      07-03-2021, 01:50 PM   #7
dnanrub
Only dead fish go with the flow
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

If you get bootmod3 tune you can disable rev matching in comfort and sport. It is off in sport+ all the time.

3 pedals>2 pedals
Appreciate 0